PDA

View Full Version : Platter Curly soft maple critique please

Thomas Bennett
03-18-2008, 2:53 PM
Here's another one...about 17 inches across, made of curly soft maple with a beautiful figure. It's really light, turned to about 1/8 to 3/16. Same poly finish I usually use, sprayed with an airbrush. Any critique is appreciated.I have some more I will post in a few days.

Nathan Hawkes
03-18-2008, 3:03 PM
Gorgeous!! The only possible criticism I could see anyone coming up with is the size of the foot. It looks like if you put anything heavy away from the center-fruit or whatever, that it would wobble, or tip. It probably won't ever be an issue. Wish I had some wood like that!!!!!!!!

Dale Gregory
03-18-2008, 3:04 PM
Agree, could use a bigger foot, but man that flame is wild! Really nice job!

Dale

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2008, 3:18 PM
Thomas - this is an amazing platter! Love the color and all the curl! As far as the foot issue - I wouldn't think of using this as a functional centerpiece - it needs to be on a stand and on display for everyone to see! Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting!

curtis rosche
03-18-2008, 4:46 PM
does the bill come with it

that grain is awsome

Thomas Bennett
03-18-2008, 5:25 PM
Steve said:"As far as the foot issue - I wouldn't think of using this as a functional centerpiece - it needs to be on a stand and on display for everyone to see! "

I should have mentioned in my first point the foot..or lack of, is the point of the piece. It's primarily meant for the display of the grain. Thanks for all the comments. I can tell members are looking at it closely.

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 5:36 PM
Wow...wonderful figure!

I do agree with the others that a slightly larger base would be more stable if this is a "user" platter, but if it's a display piece, it's less of a concern.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2008, 5:43 PM
Beautiful piece and beautiful figure.

TYLER WOOD
03-18-2008, 7:29 PM
uhhh see ash platter comments from me. Still nice looking! I love curly maple. Too bad none of it makes it this far south.

Curt Fuller
03-18-2008, 9:05 PM
Another good looking platter. A real nice piece of wood and a nice, simple form to show it off.

neil mackay
03-19-2008, 7:01 AM
Thomas,
Hmm as far as the foot goes it may depend on whethers its a decor item or functional.

Putting that a side, the shape most definitely shows off all the piece has to offer, well done.

Tom Sherman
03-19-2008, 8:25 AM
Thomas You've done a great job with this one too. Love the grain in this one, I would not want to obscure it by putting something on it.

Barry Stratton
03-20-2008, 1:20 PM
You nailed it! Simple form to show off that amazing wrinkled wood. Thanks for sharing.

Glenn Hodges
03-20-2008, 1:31 PM
Thomas, when you make another beauty like this one take a look at a plate. It has a wide base to keep it from teetering over if something is placed on the edge of it. Some of the things we make need to fit certain design principals if they are to be considered what they are called. A platter is known to have a wider base than this. I only mention this because you asked for a critique.

Ed Scolforo
03-20-2008, 5:02 PM
Thomas, that's a wonderful looking piece and I think you did exactly the right thing keeping the foot small to show off the grain. Of coarse, you wouldn't consider a functional piece but rather a beautiful work of art.
Ed

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2008, 6:52 PM
Beautiful wood and a nice form on the platter. Functional platters will need a larger bass.

John Sheets
03-20-2008, 6:58 PM
Dennis,
Since it's going to be 55 and sunny tomorrow, I'm going to the lake. I'm sure I'll have the same need as the functional platter.

Brodie Brickey
03-20-2008, 7:02 PM
Beautiful and very well done. That figure must of driven you near crazy when finishing. I don't see any tear out in it, and you took some nice clear pictures.

Foot is normally 2/3 the diameter of the piece to ensure stability.

robert hainstock
03-20-2008, 7:28 PM
I wouln't think of using that grade of curly as a utility piece even though I live where that stuff is pretty available. It is most properly a wall hanging. Nice job. :):):)
Bob

Brian McInturff
03-20-2008, 9:46 PM
That's got enough Curl to call it a Shirley Temple. Great job!!

Barry Elder
03-21-2008, 7:30 AM
Great looking piece of work! As far as the foot, double the price and call it art.

Philip Duffy
03-21-2008, 6:21 PM
Fantastic piece and certainly deserves to be put on a display rack, and NOT USED! BZ Phil