PDA

View Full Version : scrap wood gloat (kinda)

Ron Bontz
03-18-2008, 2:53 PM
Well believe it or not I really do do a little wood working from time to time. This year has been rather busy buying and selling tools to upgrade some things, working on my kitchen,(still in the works), matching book cases for the basement and my wife, etc. I have asked probably some silly questions here, but then again I have always been scattered brained. Any way I am using this opportunity to both post a small gloat and learn how to post pics. Hopefully it works.
Story line: I received some 12 ft. long knotty pine v groove siding that had been sitting in a garage for about 12 years. Some one said Ron will know what to do with it, so I'm told. So it showed up and lay in the middle of my shop floor for a couple of months. Yes, I tripped over it numerous times. I got frustrated cut it up into short sections and stacked it into a corner out of the way. I have rarely built anything out of pine. Especially knotty pine. Well, a few months later I decided to use those short sections of pine as raised panels. It took a little bit of clean up but I finally got them glued up. I kept telling myself to keep it simple because I didn't have time to mess around with it and I was basically winging it with just a pencil sketch as I went along. After all was said and done I was left with a approx. 48 in wide x 27 inch tall x 22.5 inch (front to back) cedar box. I still don't have the lifts on yet. It is 3/4" mortise and tennon construction. So no coped rail and style cuts. I wanted more than a 3/8th" tennon. I did have to go out and buy some cedar and clear pine. I ran out. Figures. If I did something right for a change the picks will show up.

Julian Wong
03-18-2008, 4:01 PM
Sweet!
Love the legs on the chest. Inspired to build one now :D

mark page
03-18-2008, 4:08 PM
Great that you didn't let it go to waste. I have used the same for backboards for primitive style spice racks and the family loved them.
Good job.