PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla WOOD glue (yes, PVA)?

Brian Penning
03-18-2008, 1:41 PM
Haven't even seen it up here in Canuck land.
Anyone try it yet?

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/resource/Gluing/Issue1/images/products/WoodGlue2.jpg

Chris Padilla
03-18-2008, 1:56 PM
Sure, it's been out for several years.

(1) Wear gloves when using it or suffer from "gorilla colored" hands for a week
(2) It "froths" or "foams" quite a bit and seems to be related to the amount of water you use but it cleans up fine when dry
(3) Overall, a fairly messy glue to use but seems to excell for outdoor projects and when heated up in the microwave, has a near water consistency, which can be useful for getting into places a thicker glue won't go (getting bubbles out of veneers, for example)
(4) Also good for oily exotics like teak

dustin sellinger
03-18-2008, 1:58 PM
No, this is new. Their site says it's PVA, and it has water cleanup.

http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/woodglue/index.aspx

Lee Schierer
03-18-2008, 2:00 PM
In addition to what Chris says, in most dry applications it is not as strong as PVA glue. Foaming can be reduced by not moistening the wood, but cure time takes longer. Must be clamped at least 12 hours.

For outdoor applications it is superior to most PVA glues.

Chris Padilla
03-18-2008, 2:01 PM
Ah! Gorilla WOOD glue (PVA, yellow/white, aliphatic) versus Gorilla Glue (poly)!

Well, that isn't at all confusing, is it! ;)

dustin sellinger
03-18-2008, 2:21 PM
I'm intrigued by the dries "natural" color feature. If it's close in price to Tightbond2 but dries clear or light colored then maybe it would be worth switching over. I'll have to look for some next time I'm getting supplies.

Joe Spear
03-18-2008, 5:51 PM
I just had an email from one of the woodworking stores. In addition to the poly and PVA, Gorilla now has a super glue. I assume that does mean a cyanoacrylate.

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 5:58 PM
I've seen the print ad...but honestly, I'm happy with the Titebond III I use now. I'm interested in the comments about the "color", however, and hope anyone using it will comment further on that.

Bill Jepson
03-18-2008, 6:22 PM
I have had poor results from the original GG and I'm reluctant to use anything other than Titebond. I've been having great success with that since building flying models in the late 70s! I have some TB3 and have had good results with that as well.
Bill Jepson

Roger Newby
03-18-2008, 7:01 PM
Put me down as positive for Titebond III as well. GG poly is a bearcat to clean off. You have to grow new skin if you get it on you and I can't see much difference between it and Titebond III for final results except for the easier clean up of TB III. Also in the humid summer here in Nebraska the GG poly goes to foam once it is opened. I've even had it foam up while applying without doing any intentional dampening of it on my own.

John Shuk
03-18-2008, 8:27 PM
I was given a free sample at my turning club. I haven't used it yet but Gorilla says to compare it to Titebond III

Scott Vigder
03-18-2008, 8:43 PM
The only problem with Titebond III is my local BORG won't carry it in gallon containers :(.

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 11:07 PM
The only problem with Titebond III is my local BORG won't carry it in gallon containers .

I actually prefer to buy my glue in smaller containers. Yes, I ultimately might pay a tiny bit more at retail, but I find it just more convenient.

John Thompson
03-19-2008, 12:32 AM
I actually prefer to buy my glue in smaller containers. Yes, I ultimately might pay a tiny bit more at retail, but I find it just more convenient.

And I prefer to buy the individual bottles also to keep it in Code. I prefer not to let glue get older than 6 months. I have seen some sitting on the shelf in slow moving stores that were already out of code. Good idea to check the Code on the bottle.

Sarge..

Denny Rice
03-19-2008, 2:01 AM
When working with the orginal GG I always use disposable gloves. My wife works at the local hospital, I can get a box for about 2 bucks.:)

Per Swenson
03-19-2008, 8:22 AM
Momma sez,

If ya can't say anything nice then say nothing....

My Gorrilla glue experiences.....

I gotz nothin.

Per

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2008, 9:04 AM
Hate it~!! Its gap filling is a joke its strength is another.

The stuff is OK for gluing odd materials together so long as strength isn't an issue.

As I understand it it was developed for tropical lumber assembly in the Teak and IPE etc., factories cranking out all that catalog teak patio furniture. They needed a glue that would work well in high humidity and work on oily woods. I don't know if it worked out for them or not. But you can bet that no marketing department would let all that research investment go un-marketed so they are selling it to the rest of the world.

I won't use the stuff anywhere I don't absolutely have to.

The last really good application I had for the stuff was to glue little hard rubber balls on to the sticks I'd laminated up to make the mallets for a pair of children's tongue drums.

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 9:28 AM
Folks, the topic of this thread is the NEW Gorilla PVA glue, not the polyurethane glue that they are most known for. I'm only mentioning this because there are a lot of posts that speak about the poly glue...

The product in question is a new competitor to the Titebond and similar PVA products.

Jim
SMC Moderator

David Blankenshp
03-19-2008, 9:58 AM
I make Cabin decor wall cabinets for a mail order catalog. The local hardware store got a sample case of this is and gave it to me to try. I glued shaker pegs into 30 cabinets using this glue and shipped them . 3 days late I got 21 of them back, shaker pegs were loose.

Brent Smith
03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Bri,

I never had much success with their poly glue, Lee Valley's Duct Tape IMO is better than Gorilla's Gorilla Tape, so I see no reason to think that Gorilla wood glue will be any better than Titebond and probably not as reddily available.

Per Swenson
03-19-2008, 1:57 PM
Folks, the topic of this thread is the NEW Gorilla PVA glue, not the polyurethane glue that they are most known for. I'm only mentioning this because there are a lot of posts that speak about the poly glue...

The product in question is a new competitor to the Titebond and similar PVA products.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Thanks Jim,

Funny thing that, reputation.

Per

Chris Padilla
03-19-2008, 2:01 PM
Thanks Jim,

Funny thing that, reputation.

Per

Yeah...mine follows me around like a shadow...darn shadow.... ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2008, 3:56 PM
Folks, the topic of this thread is the NEW Gorilla PVA glue, not the polyurethane glue that they are most known for.

Still hate it~!!

I have such a bad taste after being burned by the first boondoggle they foisted off on the public using language such as "strongest glue on earth" only to find it was all but worthless that I ain't buying any of their products.

Hate it~!!

Norman Pyles
03-19-2008, 5:53 PM
Elmers wood glue for me.:)

Paul Ryan
12-25-2008, 1:23 PM
I have used about 2 1/2 bottles of this stuff the past 6 months. I had been buying original tightbond and elmers yellow glues priviously. What turned my on about the Gorilla "WOOD" glue (not to be confused with poly) was its fast setting time and water resistance. When I need a glue with longer setting time I use tightbond III but I hate using it for normal glue ups. It takes to long to dry and the glue lines are very hard to remove. The nicest thing about the gorilla wood glue is the fact that is dries colorless. The glue lines are really really easy to sand out and remove. And any glue that gets dried in corners that is very difficult to get out doesn't show anyway. The glue also cleanest up easily with warm water, I usually clean up my glue lines with a warm wet spunge. I am no expert and don't have the experience that most on this forum do, but from my experiences so far I will continue to use it. It seems equally strong, and at $5 for an 18oz bottle is cheaper than any other water resistant glue.

Mike Wilkins
12-26-2008, 9:41 AM
The new Gorilla Wood Glue is similar to normal PVA wood glues, such as Titebond. I have been using it for about 6 months with good results. I have been using Titebond III, but decided to get the Gorilla since some friends run a tool store and started selling this.
This is not the poly glue that will stain your hands a nice brown shade if you are not wearing gloves.

Herbert Wallace
12-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I've used GG on several outdoor projects, Used to use it exclusievly on bee hives. But as stated earlier it is messy. I always wound up loosing about haly a bottle of it and it is too expensipe to throw away. aaaaaai now only use TBIII.

Bill White
12-26-2008, 11:22 AM
with the glue that brought me to the dance. TB III. All these new and improved items are tryin' to break my bank.
After using GG (poly) a time or 2, I still don't know what it is supposed to do that TB won't. I guess that I need to glue more rocks to tennis shoes or somethin'.
Bill:)