PDA

View Full Version : Using CA glue questions

Alan Tolchinsky
03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi All, I'm turning a walnut bowl and have six cracks that I'm filling with regular CA glue. But it's also flowing outside the cracks and making the surrounding wood dark. Is there a better technique for filling very fine cracks and not getting it all over the wood? What IS the best way to fill fine cracks with CA? Thanks in advance.

Hilel Salomon
03-18-2008, 1:08 PM
I use a technique that Bernie told me about. I mix quick set epoxy w/ground coffee, apply it with a "play stick" (don't know what you call it), and wipe off all the overflow with a paper towel. I have found that this sands off much more easily than ca glue.
Luck, Hilel

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 1:31 PM
Try a thicker formula that will stay put a little easier. Do a little of a crack at a time and shoot with accelerator to also keep it in place. Don't be in a hurry... ;)

Oh, and try to fill the cracks before you do your final finishing cuts on the piece as they will minimize any contact staining...you'll remove the very thin layer of wood that has the CA when you make those final shearing cuts and sanding afterward will complete the task. Of course, with open pored woods, it's a little harder to keep the stuff out, but hopefully your finishing regimen will also fill them similarly.

Ron Ainge
03-18-2008, 4:46 PM
I use a lot of CA to fill spots where I have inlayed stone into my turnings and I have found the if you wax the surface surrounding the area you are applying the glue to it will keep the glue from staining the wood next the fill spot. it is important to keep the wax out of the area to be filled or the glue will not stick to it. I use wax that is made for polishing cars. Hope this helps.

Denny Rice
03-18-2008, 5:03 PM
In the past I have had sucess mixing fine sawdust of the same wood the project is made from with CA glue. Let the mixture set up, and sand.

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 5:38 PM
Ron, be careful with any kind of car wax around woodworking. Many contain silicone and that can really mess up a finish...fish eye and worse. And the contamination can spread via your tools. A paste wax intended for woodworking is a safer bet!

Alan Tolchinsky
03-18-2008, 5:50 PM
Thanks all for the great ideas. I like the epoxy idea but want to get some thicker CA to have around for repairs. Any suggestions on where to buy CA glues? Thanks.

robert hainstock
03-18-2008, 7:37 PM
Google WSI distributers. They are wholesalers, so have a business name ready to go. :)
Bob

David Wilhelm
03-18-2008, 8:38 PM
Adding alil more to what Jim is saying, When i'm filling cracks I fill them while i'm turning and finishing. One trick I fo is take piece of old cloth back 180 or 20 about 1/2" wide and I will place a drop of med. on the middle of one end. I'll let it sit there for a few secs and let it tack up. I'll then paint my crack and edges with this gummy CA rubbing it into the crack and dabbing it into some dust and pressing it into the crack. This will build up an edge about my crack and i can now fill the crack and this will help keep the CA from spreading. If the wood seems to wick teh CA then I'll use thin and feed it more to blend it out and sand it in and make it look natural.

Curt Fuller
03-18-2008, 8:49 PM
If I see that the wood is cracked I try to put the CA in the cracks before I have it turned to the point of sanding. That way the last few light passes take off the wood that's darkened by the CA. I do the same thing if I'm filling a crack with something like coffee grounds.

Dick Latshaw
03-18-2008, 9:14 PM
Any suggestions on where to buy CA glues? Thanks.

For CA, try Mannie at woodenwonderstx.com - fast service at good prices.

Just another satisfied customer.

Denny Rice
03-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Any Woodcraft store carries CA glue.

robert baccus
03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
a friend of mine, john woods showed me a trick to conrain the ca. simply grab a can of spray laquer and lightly shoot the area. prevents absorption and discoloration ofyour piece. don't flood it or the glue will not stick,----------ol forester

George Morris
03-19-2008, 1:42 PM
You can try sanding sealer to before the ca to seal wood around also try blue painter tape to mask off area. G

Alan Tolchinsky
03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks again for all the great advise. Really appreciated.