PDA

View Full Version : Need best place to buy Photoshop cheap..

John Stephens
03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have a good place to buy Photoshop at a reasonable price?
I have version 4 form about 15 years ago so maybe I can get an upgrade?
My daughter is a student. Is a student version OK?

Thank you,
John

Darren Null
03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
How does it work?
Adobe have made a select group of their top products available as ‘Student Editions’ to qualified students at substantial discounts.

When a student purchases a ‘Student Edition’ product, they will be required to fill out and return a form - along with proof of their current status as a student - to Adobe. Once the student has been verified, they will receive the serial number for the product via email. ‘Student Edition’ products will be sold in ‘mini-box’ packaging that does not contain manuals.

What is a ‘qualified student’?
Students enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction. Full or part time students enrolled at Higher Education establishments defined as an accredited public or private university or college that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two (2) years of full-time study.

Depends whether that sort of thing worries you. You may well be able to pick up an older version than CS3 cheap on eBay and similar.

Dee Gallo
03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Campusestore.com

Last Sept., I bought PhotoShop CS3 extended version for Mac and paid $320 with the education discount. Corel CX3 was only $98.

cheers, dee

ps- I am a NY State certified Art Teacher, also certified in Calif. That's where the eduction discount came from. Sorry about that being misleading. I teach computer graphics as part of my job, and use it for jobs at work, but had to buy it & learn it at home on my own time. At work we have site licenses for each computer.

Hal Peeler
03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
If you don't need full blown photoshop, you can get photoshop elements for about $69. I just got it and I think it will do all I ever need it to do. It already does more than I know how to do:)

Jack Harper
03-18-2008, 2:12 PM
If you decide to go with the student path, try academicsuperstore.com. Once you have faxed over the necessary docs for proof, you can buy all the software you want for a year before needing to re-register. You will need to check the license requirements for each product though. You can even get CorelDraw, but again, check the license.

John Stephens
03-18-2008, 3:27 PM
I'll check them all out.

John

Michael Kowalczyk
03-18-2008, 6:32 PM
John,
If you are going to use it for your business, in any capacity, you can not get an academic version without violating the EULA. This has been discussed several times on many forums. Just because your daughter is a student does not qualify your business for an academic discount.

IMHO, why would you jeopardize your business to save a few bucks?

Make sure you read the fine print.

If you are just going to play with it and you and your daughter will learn how to use it and then later maybe buy the regular licensed one if you actually use it in your business to make money.

Tom Bull
03-18-2008, 7:14 PM
Don't know about photoshop, but corel forbids using educational editions for commercial applications. Vendors don't usually tell you that, but it is in the fine print that you agree to in order to use the software.

Lisa Walter
03-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Keep an eye on ebay. I bought several programs there. One was a business who had a case of them that had been sitting under an air conditioner and the air conditioner leaked and had damaged the boxes. So I didn't get a manual with the cd, just an unopened cd, but the manual comes on the cd also :) I got a $350 program for $90 including the shipping. You just have to read the fine print so you don't get a bootleg cd from someone.

Lisa

Bob Davis
03-20-2008, 10:10 AM
It's around $5 in Bangkok...They must have really low overheads.