PDA

View Full Version : Centering screws in hinges

Greg Peterson
03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
How do you folks center screws for hinges? I'm going to buy a couple of self centering bits, but out of curiosity I'm just checking to see if there are some other tricks of the trade.

Chris Padilla
03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Vix bits are great for this.

Also, another trick if you are using brass screws is to first use a steel screw of the same size to cut/chase the threads. Then put your brass screw in. Brass is soft and can cause you heartaches even with a pilot hole.

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Vix bit is my solution...

Jim Mims
03-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I made the mistake of buying my centering bits at Sears, broke a bit, and then discovered they don't sell the special long shank drill bits it takes.
Since I had to order some things from Lee Valley anyway, I ordered theirs, along with spare drill bits. <g>
Probably very similar to Vix bits.
- Jim

Mike Golka
03-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Centering punch like this (http://doitbest.com/Nail+sets+and+punches-General+Tools-model-806-doitbest-sku-304405.dib) one

Brian Penning
03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
These things from Lee Valley work great.

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/drilling/04j0405g2.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=40239&cat=3,41306,41330

Paul Fitzgerald
03-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Here's another vote for VIX bits. I love 'em!

Paul

Jason Beam
03-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Centering punch like this (http://doitbest.com/Nail+sets+and+punches-General+Tools-model-806-doitbest-sku-304405.dib) one

I have and use this more than my vix bits mostly because it's what i can find easier than my vix bits. It sits right next to all my other punches (spring loaded, awls, etc)

Greg Peterson
03-18-2008, 1:10 PM
Thanks guys. Good info.

Doug Shepard
03-18-2008, 1:31 PM
I use the Vix bits a lot. But lately I've been using this LV set of transfer punches an awful lot http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=54892&cat=1,43456

Todd Ferrante
03-18-2008, 1:54 PM
I just finished replacing 18 interior doors in my house. For the first 4 or so I used a hinge to locate the holes, and a countersink to make a divot in the center of the metal hinge hole. Then swapped in a regular drill for the screw holes. This way was workable, but fiddley. Then I picked up a Vix bit, and cut the time I was spending on hinge holes to about 20% of what it was. Definitely the way to go.
Todd F.

Gary McKown
03-18-2008, 2:37 PM
Doug - would those punches work for hinges using tiny (#2 FH) screws? None of the self-centering bits go down that small, and I spent a lot of time last Xmas trying to devise a reliable method for mounting small hinges on the keepsake boxes our local WW group was making. For such application, an off-center hole not only looks bad, but can result in breaking off the itty-bitty screw.

I had the idea of using a ballpoint pen as a "centering" punch, but never found one where the tip is centered BEFORE it clears the nose of the pen. Perhaps a standoff spacer tube, with one end beveled to fit in the hinge countersink, might have allowed this to work, but we had all 28 hinges mounted (traditional, punch-and-pray way) before I could try it.

Chris Padilla
03-18-2008, 2:54 PM
Gary,

What is the size of a #2 screw or associated hinge-hole diameter? That LV punch set's smallest punch is 3/32" diameter. Regardless, that LV punch set is the bee's knees for only $11!! I've found them invaluable.

John Dorough
03-18-2008, 2:56 PM
Do these type bits become clogged a great deal? If so, what is simplest way to clean out?

Gary McKown
03-18-2008, 3:10 PM
Chris - the hinges are 1" X 1", very thin, holes about 1/8" diam. and beveled, screw body about 1/16" or so (we had to use a numbered bit to drill the holes).

For a really thin hinge, wouldn't the punches have the same problem as the ballpoint pen - no "reference" until after the punch is already made?

John - yes, they clog easily but often this does not interfere with operation. If they get totally fouled the best way I have found to clear them is to activate the sprung bit a couple times between holes, allowing the chips to exit through the open sides of the casing.

Chris Padilla
03-18-2008, 3:16 PM
Gary,

Can you stack a couple of hinges on top of each other to help with registration? Maybe flip one over?

Richard M. Wolfe
03-18-2008, 4:40 PM
Vix bit's the standard for doing this. I have a couple other doodads make for marking. One is a spring loaded center punch; put the tip in the center, push and a little spring loaded device hammers it down. You have to have the tip in the very center, though. The other is another spring loaded item. Hold the bottom vertical, pull back on the spring loaded top, let go and it hammers the tip into the wood. There's a number of gadgets like these around.

Doug Shepard
03-18-2008, 5:56 PM
...would those punches work for hinges using tiny (#2 FH) screws? None of the self-centering bits go down that small, ...
Looks like Chris already foud the diam. will probably work but I haven't used them on anything that small yet.

...That LV punch set's smallest punch is 3/32" diameter. Regardless, that LV punch set is the bee's knees for only $11!! I've found them invaluable.
I'm surprised at how much I find myself using them. Best cheap Christmas present I've gotten in a long time.

Chris - the hinges are 1" X 1", very thin, holes about 1/8" diam. and beveled, screw body about 1/16" or so (we had to use a numbered bit to drill the holes).

For a really thin hinge, wouldn't the punches have the same problem as the ballpoint pen - no "reference" until after the punch is already made?

That could be a problem if they're too thin. Not positive here but I think the length of the points on that set get shorter as the diam. decreases. If you can mic the hinge thickness I can take some calipers to mine to see how long before the punch diam. would engage the hole on the 1/8" size.

Raymond Fries
03-18-2008, 6:15 PM
I bought one of these from Garrett Wade and have been happy with the results.

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=106934

Fred Voorhees
03-18-2008, 6:36 PM
Vix bits are great for this.

Also, another trick if you are using brass screws is to first use a steel screw of the same size to cut/chase the threads. Then put your brass screw in. Brass is soft and can cause you heartaches even with a pilot hole.

Agree with everything Chris says here. Vix and steel screws first if using brass.

Rich Engelhardt
03-18-2008, 8:08 PM
Hello,
Another - Vix

Tom Veatch
03-18-2008, 8:28 PM
What is the size of a #2 screw ...

A simple way to remember the shank (min. clearance hole) diameter of any "number" sized screw is:

Shank Dia (inches) = 0.060 + (number) * .013

#2 = (.060 + 2 * .013) = .086
#8 = (.060 + 8 * .013) = .164
#10= (.060 + 10 *.013) =.190
etc.

Just wish the relationship of thread root diameter (appx. pilot hole) to the number size were that simple.

Matt Ocel
03-18-2008, 8:46 PM
Cast my vote for vix. O.K. gotta get back to American Idol.

Doug Shepard
03-18-2008, 9:04 PM
Cast my vote for vix. O.K. gotta get back to American Idol.

How do you spoze Simon will vote on the Vix?:D

Matt Ocel
03-18-2008, 9:41 PM
Doug - Simon said absoletley marvelous. Randy said it "Dawg dat was da bomb. Paula, well she didn't know what a vix bit was.

glenn bradley
03-18-2008, 9:45 PM
Exactly what Chris P said ;-)

Greg Peterson
03-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Well, I went up at lunch time and picked up a few Vix bits. #3, #5 & #9. That ought to keep me outta trouble for a while. Off to the shop to glue a bullseye level on the back of my cordless drill. I figure between being plumb and a self centering bit hinges shouldn't scare me anymore. Thanks for the tip on chasing threads with a steel screw prior to driving brass screws Chris. Thanks to all for the tips.