PDA

View Full Version : How bad can the HF 8" Grinder be?

Wade Lippman
03-18-2008, 10:22 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37823

On the one hand, I would say that a grinder is a pretty simple machine. I don't expect to use it for much of anything except sharpening turning tools.

On the other hand, my Craftsman has so much run out that I can't even true the wheels. Sadly, I didn't really use it for a year after I bought it, so I can't take it back; the fact that it bounced across the table when I turned it on should have been a clue.

So, whatcha think?

Ben Rafael
03-18-2008, 10:29 AM
It's too fast for sharpening tools. Get one that runs at half that speed.

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
What you need to be sure of is that it runs smoothly and without any vibration and also takes standard 8" x 1" wheels...you will need to replace the ones that come on the grinder with friable AO wheels and you don't want to have issues with anything non-standard. 3450 RPM is less of an issue if you are working with HHS and learn a light touch. (turning tools) But do be aware that most hand tools are carbon steel and will de-temper in a flash from an excess of a relatively low level of heat. That's why folks don't sharpen chisels and plane irons on a grinder outside of occasional repair work to a damaged bevel and then a great amount of care needs to be taken.

Personally, I think that the slow-speed grinder offer from Woodcraft is a better buy since it includes the right kind of wheels for woodworking tools...you'll need to spend $30-50 on those outside of the HFT grinder.

Brian Kent
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
This is the inexpensive grinder I use: Delta 6" variable speed - $65 to $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-GR275-Variable-Grinder-Tool-Less/dp/B0007WWHZC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205857056&sr=8-3

Ben Cadotte
03-18-2008, 12:32 PM
For sharpening it might be ok. But 1/2 hp for 8" I think is a bit under powered for grinding. I have a 3/4 on my 6" and it seems under powered. It is china made so probably not a true 3/4 hp.

Wade Lippman
03-18-2008, 12:34 PM
This is the inexpensive grinder I use: Delta 6" variable speed - $65 to $100.

That is the 6" version of the one I was unhappy with. Glad you had better luck than I did. Well, they look identical.

Peter Quinn
03-18-2008, 1:49 PM
I have the woodcraft slow speed grinder , it runs smooth and true, not to expensive IIR. I still need to make a proper tool rest for it, the one that comes with it is of little use to me. I find hand sharpening with water stones nearly as fast and far more accurate for chisels and irons, guess turners are in a different situation. Chance of overheating carbon steel with my waterstone? That would be zero.

Chris Bruno
03-18-2008, 3:53 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37823

On the one hand, I would say that a grinder is a pretty simple machine. I don't expect to use it for much of anything except sharpening turning tools.

On the other hand, my Craftsman has so much run out that I can't even true the wheels. Sadly, I didn't really use it for a year after I bought it, so I can't take it back; the fact that it bounced across the table when I turned it on should have been a clue.

So, whatcha think?

Wade, have you checked the runout on the actual arbor? I only ask because I had very similar problems with a cheap-ish grinder, but the problem wasn't so much in the grinder as it was the wheels. The cheap wheels are real junk. I replaced them with decent Nortons and now it hums along smooth as anything else I've seen.

-Chris

Wade Lippman
03-18-2008, 6:42 PM
Wade, have you checked the runout on the actual arbor? I only ask because I had very similar problems with a cheap-ish grinder, but the problem wasn't so much in the grinder as it was the wheels. The cheap wheels are real junk. I replaced them with decent Nortons and now it hums along smooth as anything else I've seen.

-Chris

This is with a Nortons. But that brings up an interesting point...

I went to HF today and looked at their grinder (as well as the one someone suggested at Woodcraft). One wheel on the HF display model moves back and forth about an eight of an inch; the other is a bit better. I don't know if they are misshapen wheels or runout, but it is a bad sign.

How would you measure runout, as opposed to a cheap wheel? A wood disk, or just a good wheel?

Chris Bruno
03-18-2008, 6:53 PM
Take the wheels off and then turn the grinder on and inspect it visually first. If the cause is in the arbor, it would be obvious considering how bad yours sounds. If its not obvious, then brace something like a pen against the body of the grinder holding it just a little bit away from the arbor and just turn the arbor by hand. This will give you a good gauge on how much runout there is in the arbor. If you can't see any, then the problem is in the wheels.

-Chris

Tom Esh
03-19-2008, 1:03 AM
I'll join the chorus and suggest not tossing the CMan unless you're sure it's a runout problem and not just lousy wheels. I've got a whole stack of 'em waiting for ...I don't know what. I just wish I could find a wire brush wheel half as well balanced as the Norton grinding wheels. Been thinking about trying this http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49226&cat=1,43072

Greg Peterson
03-19-2008, 1:23 AM
Wade, next time your at HF, pick a dial indicator. It'll be accurate enough for anything you'll need to do in your shop. Get the magnetic base too.

Without even a HF dial indicator you're going to have a difficult time measuring the run out. If you do get the dial indicator here's how you measure the run out.

It is important that after setting the dial indicator in place that unit is secured and can not be moved by the action of the component you are measuring.

Push/pull the arbor shaft all the way away from the where the dial indicator will be set. Set it the tip of the indicator is on the end of the arbor shaft. Zero out the dial and then push/pull the arbor towards the dial indicator. This movement will be the total runout of the arbor.

As to what is an acceptable run out, I haven't the slightest idea. My guess though is that if you can feel it, it's to much.

Bruce Benjamin
03-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Several years ago I bought the HF 8" grinder but it had some vibrations. I exchanged it for a Delta version that they had for only a little more money. But a friend of mine bought the HF grinder and has used it almost every day in his auto shop with practically no vibrations at all. In other words, some of them vibrate, some don't. I wouldn't buy one unless I could get it locally so that returning it wouldn't be a problem. I've taken in a couple of items that I had for over a year without a receipt and I had no problem exchanging it. I just told them I'd lost the receipt, (which I had) and I didn't tell them when I bought it. I just said, "I couldn't remember exactly when", which was the truth also. I don't return too many items to HF because I'm pretty good at picking out the, "HF Gems" but for the occasional items I've needed to return they have always been nothing but polite and accommodating.

Bruce