PDA

View Full Version : Adding Router plate to Table saw extension...

Erech Myers
03-18-2008, 9:52 AM
I have a Jet ProShop with a 50 inch cut. I have the stock extension table which is 3/4 mdf with laminate on each side, a hardwood runner on each side to attach to the fence, and one cross brace at each end and one cross brace in the middle. I am going add a router plate to the end of the extension table.

The router plate is 1/4 inch thick aluminum. So here are my questions...

- What is the best way to reinforce the extension table?
- Should I just add a few more cross braces made of 3/4 plywood?
- Should I glue another panel of mdf underneath to make it 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 thick?
- Currently it has legs at the end of the extension table. Do I need to add another set in the middle of the extension table? Eventually I will add some cabinetry underneath the table, but for now will I need the extra legs?

Thanks!

Jon Todd
03-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I added another piece of MDF to mine and redid the ban around mine.

Here is mine:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/Jet_saw_2-3-08_0131.jpg

Erech Myers
03-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I added another piece of MDF to mine and redid the ban around mine.

Here is mine:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/Jet_saw_2-3-08_0131.jpg

Interesting. I like your setup. Does your dust collection work well? I had heard that you shouldn't use plastic piping for dust collection, but others say it works great.

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Reinforce the extension table top with plywood or hardwood runners that leave enough room for your router and router plate, but are as close as possible to the opening. They need to be fastened to the existing frame for the extension table and typically would be the same size vertically. The idea is to keep the table surface from sagging from the weight of the router and plate combination.

Erech Myers
03-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Reinforce the extension table top with plywood or hardwood runners that leave enough room for your router and router plate, but are as close as possible to the opening. They need to be fastened to the existing frame for the extension table and typically would be the same size vertically. The idea is to keep the table surface from sagging from the weight of the router and plate combination.

Thanks Jim. That's what I was thinking, but I didn't know if there would be any advantages to the adding a whole panel of mdf underneath.