PDA

View Full Version : Miter slot for Rockler TS extension router table

Jim Mims
03-18-2008, 9:40 AM
Hopefully, I'll be receiving my Rockler router table extension for table saw in the next few days and I've read all the posts I could find about adding a miter slot. I also ordered the miter slot track.
Is there an optimal distance to mount the track from the plate opening?
I would like to be able to use it for featherboards too.
Also, should I back up the area under the table where the slot will be routed, or is the table top already thick enough?
Thanks,
Jim

Anthony Whitesell
03-18-2008, 9:49 AM
For distance, far enough away that the miter gauge will clear the largest bit or such that the edge of the miter gauge is even with the opening in the plate.

I'll let others voice their opinion on additional support. I will ask, what "wood" is the table made of? Particle board?

Jim Mims
03-18-2008, 9:55 AM
For distance, far enough away that the miter gauge will clear the largest bit or such that the edge of the miter gauge is even with the opening in the plate.

I'll let others voice their opinion on additional support. I will ask, what "wood" is the table made of? Particle board?
Thanks, I bought a couple of plastic featherboards, but then I started thinking it really doesn't matter, if they aren't applicable, I can always fab my own out of wood.
Yes, I believe it's made of melamine coated fiberboard, we'll see. Hence, the need for a miter track, rather than just a routed slot, in my opinion.
- Jim

brad kellner
03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
the router table is made of 1" mdf. and i think it has a plastic laminate on top. i had 2 of them. i highly suggest returning it and buying a woodpecker router table extension wing. it is a bit more but i think their look a heck of alot betterand comes with a miter slot. i had gotten rocklers and it was warped. rockler replaced it, but still it came warped. i even wrote a review on it on their site.