PDA

View Full Version : Problem with JET Paralel Clamp - Request For Advice

Glen Blanchard
03-18-2008, 9:37 AM
I bought 6 JET parallel clamps one year ago this month, and I think they are great. However, I began to have a problem with one of them last night. As I begin to tighten it down, it starts to grab, but then slips back one tooth on the rail. The same thing happens when I cinch down on it again - at first it seems like it will "bite", but then it slips. As a result, it won't tighten. Is this thing toast? Can it be adjusted somehow?

Randy Klein
03-18-2008, 9:59 AM
I have the exact same thing happen to me. I haven't had time to look at it, but I'm suspecting there's some stuff on the teeth of the clamp that's preventing it from seating all the way. At least, I hope that's what it is and not stripped teeth.

Steve Sawyer
03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I can't imagine it being stripped teeth. I've observed that slip-and-grab when the pawl is between teeth, but then it doesn't slip again, except that I've also seen that an almost-invisible smear of Titebond glue will fill those little notches just dandy, also causing the pawls to slip.

Someone told me that gently warming glue drips on those bars with a propane torch makes 'em pop right off.

J. Z. Guest
03-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Glen, just as a reference, have you ever used the old style "F Style" clamps? The ones that aren't necessarily parallel?

I have the problem you're describing with those sometimes, and all it is is that if you don't pull down slightly on the handle before tightening, you cause it to slip out of its notches on the rail.

With the open F-style clamps, you can see it all happen, since the innards aren't all shrouded in plastic.

I bet if you do this, you will no longer have this problem.