PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc scroll chuck

Wolf Kiessling
03-20-2004, 1:44 PM
I have a Vicmarc VM100 scroll chuck that has an insert for a 1"8tpi spindle. I will have to change the insert to accomodate a 1.25" 8tpi spindle if I get the new lathe I want. I tried to remove the insert this morning but find myself unable to do so. I inserted the aluminum lever into the insert hole but can't turn it. I started beating on it with a hammer but stopped very quickly before I broke the lever.

Is there a trick to changing the insert? Can anyone provide some insight for this? Does that thing possibly a left hand thread? The owners manual certainly doesn't say anything about that.

Jim Becker
03-20-2004, 2:42 PM
Wolf, I know when I changed the inserts in my OneWay Talon and vacuum drums they were seated "really good". On the OneWay, they actually provide two alternative threaded holes that you can use the allen screws in to actually "jack" the insert out of the chuck. Check and see if there is similar arrangements on the Vicmarc. If that fails, call a Vicmarc dealer, such as One Good Turn, Craft Supplies or Packard Woodworks and get their advise. You don't want to damage the taper that these things generally seat into.

Richard Allen
03-20-2004, 3:23 PM
Yes Jim we are blessed with the Oneway line of chucks.

Vicmarc chucks inserts are threaded into the chuck body. They have three screws, two to hold the back plate on and one to help prevent the insert from dismounting the chuck body from the insert. Please note that the insert MAY be threaded anti-clockwise into the chuck body.

Good Luck

Wolf Kiessling
03-20-2004, 8:12 PM
The problem has been solved. Terry Daniels advised that the insert is definitely not left hand threaded and suggested putting the chuck in a vise and using a pipe wrench with cheater on the insert. Worked like a charm, didn't even need the cheater.

I was afraid to do anything because of not knowing how it was threaded and I have a tendency to break things.