PDA

View Full Version : Recent projects (5 different pics)

Andy Pratt
03-18-2008, 3:26 AM
Here are some pictures from my recent projects.

1) The first is a giant rolling cabinet I made to house all of my hardware stock. Sides are 3/4" oak ply, top and bottom 1/2" oak ply and top frame is a piece of maple crotch scrap I had on hand. All drawer slides are 18" deep full-extension ball bearing from lee valley, they work great. Everything got one coat of linseen.

2) Second is the nightstand I made for my bed. It's higher than usual so I made it accordingly. 26"HX22 square top X 18" square frame. Legs are 1.5" maple, top and bottom panel are 3/4" spalted maple, great figure on top front, sides are 1/2" birch ply rabbeted into insides of legs (only nailed and glued) Will add in the drawer you'll see in the next pic when the slide comes in.

3) Drawer for above mentioned nightstand. Face is 3/4" black Walnut, case is solid 1/2" western maple (looks like sapwood), knob is hand turned western maple (my first try) stained with cherry watco to match nightstand case. All of the rest has gotten two coats of linseed. Pocket screws connect case to front, everything else is glued dadoes.

4) Long shoehorn made with hand tools from scrap walnut. Got a chance to use spokeshaves, gouges and rasps on this one, it was a lot of fun and something I had been looking for a chance to do for a while. Left marks intentionally, of course, otherwise sanded to 220 grit.

5) Salt grinder for my kitchen, made of 2" (finished size) figured maple. Didn't turn out as planned, but still looks okay nonetheless. Would have liked a bigger top piece for easy grinding but luckily I've got this woodshop thing so I can make another when I feel like it.

Hope you enjoyed, all constructive criticism is very welcome. Seriously, anything you see that's oddball/wrong, please let me know, I'm a newer woodworker so I can use the advice.

Thanks,
Andy

Jim Becker
03-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Nice work, Andy! Thanks for posting it.

The shoehorn is very kewel!

Lori Kleinberg
03-18-2008, 1:35 PM
Very nice projects. I especially like the shoe horn. Thanks for sharing.