PDA

View Full Version : Shapers

David Blankenshp
03-17-2008, 9:28 PM
I am soon to buy 2 shapers for our small shop. I mainly produce cabin decor and furniture pieces for mail order catalogs. Would like feed back as to what shapers you recommend. Thanks in advance to all that reply.:confused:

Jamie Buxton
03-17-2008, 9:43 PM
The basic shaper for about forty years has been the Delta 3 hp machine. Later ones have better fences, but they're all good. I don't know where you are, but in my area, they often show up on craigslist. Used ones are darn near the same thing as new ones. Around here, a used one is typically $800-$1000 without a power feeder. Adding a power feeder might add $400 or so the price. Power feeders are good things, especially if you're going to use the machines for production. You get more-consistent feed rates and surface quality, and, more importantly, you get a big increase in safety.

Peter Quinn
03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I have an old delta with their new X-5 fence, that new fence is nice. Shaper works great too. Lots of companies make nice shapers. Take a close look at the fences, some are better than others. The new PM shaper sure looks nice too, good fence as well.

For format I'd go for 3HP minimum, wish I had 5HP, 1 1/4" spindle and a 3/4" changable spindle if you need smaller cutters.

A budget and an understanding of your experience with the shaper would help people give more advise as prices range from $1000 to $30,000. You want a grizzly or a Martin? Lots of good machines in between. What do you envision using it for specifically? Do you need a tilting arbor? Do you need a sliding table? I don't consider a powerfeed optional for a professional shop, so I'd work that into your budget if you don't have them already.

Also do you have any tooling? It typically costs several times the price of a basic shaper to outfit it with a basic set of cutters, so this may affect your budget.

Jim Becker
03-17-2008, 10:04 PM
David, welcome to SMC.

I believe it may be helpful to folks trying to help to understand more about the specific uses you will be throwing at the shapers. That can affect many things including power, cutter capacity, the need for sliding tables, etc. Even the type of tooling you intend to use can be useful information at this stage.

David Blankenshp
03-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I am mainly going to use it for door frames. We do a lot of framed art work and put them in a door frame then build a wall cabinet around the door frame.

David Blankenshp
03-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Also I will mainly be using eastern white pine.

Peter Quinn
03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
If your making door frames using cope and stick or tongue and groove set up with stock 6/4 or less than two 3HP basic machines would do it no sweat. I made a coping sled for mine for $30 using a piece of phenolic and some other parts that works great, don't really need a sliding table until you get into bigger work.

A 5HP machine really helps if your going to make lots of raised panels or do thicker hardwoods, might make sense to get one of the two in a 5HP to leave room for growth if budget allows.

I've used Delta's, PM27's and a few bigger machines. Delta X-5 fence is a pleasure to set up, the old PM's are tough but the fences are a little cranky.

What is your budget?

David Blankenshp
03-17-2008, 11:09 PM
I could spend up to $1000 each

Jeff Duncan
03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
My suggestion, for your budget, would be to buy one decent shaper instead of 2 budget ones. Unless your open to used machinery in which case you could probably pick up 2 decent machines for your $2k.
As with any tool, your usage will dictate your needs and by the sounds of it you'll be doing pretty mild stuff. I would say a Delta 3/4" spindle would be fine for you. What may be more important is getting yourself a decent powerfeeder to run your stock. Having one makes all the difference in my opinion, and is well worth the money spent.
good luck,
JeffD