PDA

View Full Version : Nightstand with Secret Drawer

Darrin Davis
03-17-2008, 8:58 PM
Here is a night stand I built a year or so ago. The craftsmanship is not really that great at all but I had the idea last night to replace the drawer box with one that has a secret drawer. I had my dad come over and I told him that the top drawer had a secrect compartment and he looked for several minutes and then finally gave up. Anyway, here it is.

Brian Effinger
03-17-2008, 9:03 PM
I like that - its a great idea and a great place for keeping valuables. The only thing I could see adding is something inconspicuous to lock it (not an actual lock, but just to keep it fully closed & concealed).

Darrin Davis
03-17-2008, 9:05 PM
It snaps to a closed position. You have to pull it with some force to open it.

Rick Thom
03-17-2008, 9:06 PM
Darrin, hate to say it but it ain't secret anymore.

Don Bullock
03-17-2008, 9:53 PM
Darrin, hate to say it but it ain't secret anymore.

I was thinking the same thing.:eek: That's a great idea and great design.

Norman Pyles
03-17-2008, 9:59 PM
Great idea, thanks.:cool:

Chris Barnett
03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Dang...need to build one of those to keep my gold. Could make it a lot smaller though; perhaps hide under the corner of a screw head :D. Actually, could use to keep a firearm since a burgular* knows a nightstand is a common location.

*anyone who burgules when I am not there. One who burgules when I am there need not be discussed.

Kyle Tucker
03-18-2008, 1:11 AM
That's awesome - great idea and design. Nice job!

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-18-2008, 7:05 AM
Hey Darrin, Looks great! Would appreciate some additional drawings/ sketches on assembly, some pictures would suffice.
PS Ever hear of a dust rag? I think you and I have the same house keeper! :D

Don Dorn
03-18-2008, 7:10 AM
I built them into end tables for the living room, but they aren't nearly as cool as that. All I did was put a "short drawer" on the rails at the back which also serves as the stop for the main drawer. It works fine, but it doesn't have the cool points that this one does.

Tom Henderson2
03-18-2008, 10:30 AM
It snaps to a closed position. You have to pull it with some force to open it.

If the bad guys plunder your home, they will likely pull the drawer completely out of the nightstand since many folks tape valuables etc to the underside, or place them behind/under the drawers in the back of the case.

So a lock feature of some sort may be helpful.

But OTOH leaving it as-is will foil most theives.

Nice job and a very interesting idea.

-TH

Darrin Davis
03-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey Darrin, Looks great! Would appreciate some additional drawings/ sketches on assembly, some pictures would suffice.
PS Ever hear of a dust rag? I think you and I have the same house keeper! :D

Here is a very simple sketch of the drawer and where the slides go. Math will do the rest for you. Unless your drawer fronts are permantly attached you can replace any drawer box with this method.

jason lambert
03-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Nice idea, what is your address????

Danny Thompson
03-18-2008, 11:00 AM
That was my idea! You stole my idea!

Nice work.

Karl Brogger
03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't keep firearms in there. That is if you are the type of person that plans on defending his home and family in that manner. Easy to reach, chamber, cocked, instantly available is the best way, unless you have little one's. I suppose that is different.

Looks more like a good way to keep little hands from finding Mommy's "toys" though!

Mike Golka
03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Mommy's got hidden toys??

David Epperson
03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Mommy's got hidden toys??
you mean you haven't found them yet? :D