PDA

View Full Version : Laser tiles and Photograv

Jim Dornon
03-17-2008, 6:28 PM
Well I purchased Photograv, and some Laser tiles. Attached are 2 photos of the same picture that I engraved today. Processed in Photograv, and used Newly draw through my Rabbit 3040. The problem as you can see is there is a lot of what I call washout and not a lot of detail. If you hold the engraving at an angle it shows a perfect picture, but not looking down or straight on. Anyone have any clues ? I used the Generic Laser Tile setting in Photograv. Seems to be worse when I use black granite settings. Anyone with a Rabbit who uses photograve would be great. Anyone with photograv exp would also be great. If I am not clear on my question, let me know. Thanks, Jim:confused:

Jim Dornon
03-17-2008, 6:32 PM
Here is the second picture

Carl Sewell
03-17-2008, 7:04 PM
What you are describing is sometimes due to the photo being processed as a negative. Invert it and you might get the results you seek.

Jim Dornon
03-17-2008, 7:09 PM
yeah, tried that. Just washes out in reverse.

Jack Harper
03-17-2008, 7:25 PM
At what resolution did you set your photo? If the resolution is too high, it will wash out.

Jim Dornon
03-17-2008, 7:44 PM
If I use any thing under 1016 for my machine, the image shrinks when I go to engrave it. The image is smaller than the size used in photograv.

Mike Mackenzie
03-17-2008, 9:48 PM
I think that is your answer once you photograve something you should not change the size.

Maybe try to make it larger then photo grave and then powerclip it into the tile sections to keep the size consistent.

Jim Dornon
03-18-2008, 7:12 AM
When you instal Photograv it will ask you for your machines dpi. I leave everything at 1016. Nothing is changed once I Photograv the picture. I will try 500 and 300 today and see what happens. Thanks for the input.:)

Jim Dornon
03-19-2008, 8:06 AM
Well with a little more trial and error, and the help of a friend I pretty much figured it out. My setting in photograv for me machine were wrong. Here is a picture done on birch plywood at 300 dpi. Picture really doesn't do it justice. It looks much better in person. Thanks to all. This is a forum worth contributing to. Jim

Kevin Warren
03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Jim: Read your post with interest. Did you mention marble or granite tile? My customer experience is to never go over 300dpi with photo art, only for text etc. Kevin