PDA

View Full Version : Do it your self cyclone dust collector

Jeffrey Shrontz
03-17-2008, 5:41 PM
Hi guys
Have any of the members here made their own cyclone dust collector.
I have been looking on the net an found some plans at Bill Pentz
cyclone plans. I need help with the cutting Diagram for the 18" cyclone dust collector. I see the cutting diagram but can't come up with the sizing numbers for my cut list . It's in grafe paper boxes, I think he has it layed out on a 4x8 sheet metal. All help would be great.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-17-2008, 6:48 PM
As I recall from googling the subject I found a lot of folks have done so with good success.

Jeffrey Shrontz
03-17-2008, 7:06 PM
Thanks for the help. I wounder if anyone still has their patters they're willing to sell me :)

Hubert Carle
03-17-2008, 8:20 PM
yes! Wood magazine issue 100 has a great one and there are several upgrades in later issues.

Here are some pictures of the units and of course you must notice the HIGH PRICE tubing I use. :D:D:D

I even have a floor "attachment" so I can sweep things right up to the sucker.

Also I have a muffler on it.

Hubert Carle
03-17-2008, 8:27 PM
Tried to add pictures but said they were too big.

By the way there are two sized of this high quality tube. Cut a slice off the roll and take it with you when you buy the street elbows at the big box store.

Notice the window in the collection trash can.

Jim O'Dell
03-17-2008, 8:31 PM
I believe Chris Padilla built his from Bill's plans.
"Hey Chris....You got that thing up and running yet???" :D
I don't remember anyone having the "plans" for his unit, other that what is downloadable from his site. Needs MS Excel if I remember correctly. Should just mark the sheet metal, and plot the dots, connect them then cut. I'm sure those that have actually buit them will pipe in here shortly, (sorry about that:rolleyes:) Jim.

Jack Porter
03-17-2008, 8:46 PM
I built the wood mag version and "converted" my grizz DC to use for the blower. Very straightforward and can be done in a weekend if you don't have any sheet metal experience.

Robert Payne
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
You need to use Bill's spreadsheet (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneSpreadsheetAC080120.xls) and be sure to read the caption at the bottom left -- the dimensions are given on each piece, but the graphical images are stylized (but the small cut sheet looks correct as the cone angle is just over 71 degrees). I would recommend you buy some posterboard and layout the key curved pieces first (the cone and the air ramp) and then the rectangular ones. Read the information under his Instructions Tab (bottom of EXCEL shreadsheet). I have a ClearVue CV1800 and it is built to these dimensions.

Bruce Wrenn
03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I have a Wood magazine cyclone, and used to teach classes on building them. From here in central NC, I have built units that are in VA, and TEXAS. I need to add the neutral vane to mine. For filters, I use seven of the 6" X 65" "socks" from Onedia. They are mounted into a plentium that mounts on the floor, and supports the dust can. Wood magazine has on their web site a section devoted to cyclones from their plans. I use a 3' X 8'piece of 26 ga to get both my cylinder and cone from. My cone is a one piece, not a three piece as shown in the original plans.

Jeffrey Shrontz
03-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I plan on blowing the air to the out side like a close dryer that will save on a filter.anyone doing the same or is that a bad way to go

Ed Labadie
03-18-2008, 10:24 AM
I set mine up that way.
The only thing I've found is if I leave a blast gate open, air will constantly siphon thru the cyclone and ductwork, drawing heat out of the shop.

I did put a piece of mesh wire in between the coupling and the pipe before assembly, I didn't want to be cleaning up Sparrow parts from inside the cyclone unit.

Ed

Tom Veatch
03-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Exhausting outside is perfectly acceptable from a dust control viewpoint.

The downside is that the air that is exhausted has to be made up by outside air being pulled into the shop. This may increase your cost of heating/cooling the shop depending on the climate conditions of your area. If that's acceptable to you, and there's no local regulatory prohibitions, exhausting outside is fine.

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-18-2008, 7:44 PM
Check out this brilliant design. The video says it all. He sucks up a huge pile of debris and none of it makes it to the fein shop vac. Impressive. And can be scaled up for dust collector too.
http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Todd Crow
03-18-2008, 8:35 PM
I downloaded Bill's plans and built my cyclone. I found his plans to be good, he has a spreadsheet you can download from his site on the Cyclone Plan page Section L.

Robert has a good idea with making a posterboard version first. I did that when I made my Wood Magazine cyclone.

I built this one because I need better filtration and I used Bill's recommendations on motor and fans.

My Cyclone (http://www.crowsnest.us/woodshop/tools/cyclone.htm#Pentz_Cyclone)

http://www.crowsnest.us/images/DCP_0889.jpg

Jeffrey Shrontz
03-19-2008, 8:43 AM
Todd After looking at your cyclone, It looks to me that your infeed tube should be at the back. Or with the blower air flow.I think yours is fighting the air .Or maybe it just a bad pic angal. Hey it looks good . I'm still working on my pattern, having some trouble with laying out the cone.Thanks for the pic

harry strasil
03-19-2008, 9:00 AM
cone 01 - Start by drawing a center line and then draw the cone on the center line full size as shown.

cone 02 - Next using a compass or other means, draw in the hemisphere under the line BC as shown, what this does is give you a half view looking at the bottom of the cone.

harry strasil
03-19-2008, 9:03 AM
cone 03 - Next using a compass, divide the hemisphere into 6 or more equal spaces as shown. On a large cone you will need more divisions, as this is the means you use to get the outside diameter of the bottom of the cone.

cone 04 - Now draw line AB as shown and using a compass or other means, draw an arc from B with A as the center point as shown.

harry strasil
03-19-2008, 9:05 AM
cone 05 -Now using a compass or other means, lay out the divisions as shown and number them as shown to avoid mistakes. Then draw in line AC and you are ready to cut out and form the piece into a cone. If you were accurate in your drawing and transfering of measurements you should have a cone that has a tolerance of + or - the thickness of the material.

If the cone is going to be a large one and needs to be bent on an apron or press brake, draw lines from all the segment marks to point A as reference lines for braking the material. I have made cones for different things up to 15 foot in diameter at the bottom out of 3/16 plate for oil well tank tops using almost this same method.

I hope this helps you understand how to make a cone.

Chris Padilla
03-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I believe Chris Padilla built his from Bill's plans.
"Hey Chris....You got that thing up and running yet???" :D
I don't remember anyone having the "plans" for his unit, other that what is downloadable from his site. Needs MS Excel if I remember correctly. Should just mark the sheet metal, and plot the dots, connect them then cut. I'm sure those that have actually buit them will pipe in here shortly, (sorry about that:rolleyes:) Jim.

Yes, it is up and sucking just fine. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9933

Keith Beck
03-19-2008, 11:14 AM
I've really been considering getting one of the Ebay cyclones (item 270218838133) and adding the blower from my G1029Z.

From what I've read, there are a few mods you can make to that cyclone to improve performance, such as shorten the intake tube, make a neutral vane and possibly adding an air ramp if you're feeling really ambitious.

It would be a good starting point and save some time...

Keith

Jeffrey Shrontz
03-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I looked at his 18" cyclone it looks good. I don't have a dust collector at all. If this don't turn out I may still go that way.

Todd Crow
03-19-2008, 6:39 PM
Jeff,

I have read that the air actually changes direction when it makes the turn up into the blower. I think on Bill's site.

And it was also said that it made such a minor difference that any leak you have in your ductwork would be considerably worse.

For my install location this arrangement worked the best. That chimmney was just to hard to move.

http://www.crowsnest.us/images/DCP_0726.jpg

Todd

Todd After looking at your cyclone, It looks to me that your infeed tube should be at the back. Or with the blower air flow.I think yours is fighting the air .Or maybe it just a bad pic angal. Hey it looks good . I'm still working on my pattern, having some trouble with laying out the cone.Thanks for the pic

Jim Underwood
03-19-2008, 8:55 PM
Dave Gingery published a great "how to" book titled "How to Design and Build Centrifugal Fans" that's just loaded with dust collection information, including how to lay out and build your cyclone.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/found/index.html

I've made some of the stuff in there, but have yet to build my cyclone. I've got some 24 in spiral pipe just sitting there waiting....

Jeffrey Shrontz
03-20-2008, 9:24 PM
I was woundering how many other guys out there made there own cyclone. maybe post there pic of it. So we all can see them. I plan on cutting out the sheet metal Saturday for mine. When its done I will post a pic of it. :confused:

Al Barale
03-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Good on you Jeffrey for having a go at building your cyclone. I enjoyed building my cyclone and am extremely happy with how well it works.

I have posted more pics of my cyclone here.
http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/DIY+Cyclones/Als-Cyclone-project/