PDA

View Full Version : Kregg Jig

Dean Baumgartner
03-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Here's the story, we will be remodeling the house this summer and I will be making all of the new kitchen cabinets.
Thinking of making all those cabinets and face frames the pocket holes look like a good idea. I know some of have the Kregg and I'm looking for opinions and also where anybody has seen the best pricing on the pro kit. I've seen it online for $129 plus shipping. The local Farm Supply has it for $135 plus tax. Probably about a wash unless somebody has seen it cheaper.

Thanks for the help.

Dean

Jason Roehl
03-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Here's the story, we will be remodeling the house this summer and I will be making all of the new kitchen cabinets.
Thinking of making all those cabinets and face frames the pocket holes look like a good idea. I know some of have the Kregg and I'm looking for opinions and also where anybody has seen the best pricing on the pro kit. I've seen it online for $129 plus shipping. The local Farm Supply has it for $135 plus tax. Probably about a wash unless somebody has seen it cheaper.

Thanks for the help.

Dean

Not sure if you have them in your area, but I know they are in WI--Menard's. We have 2 stores locally, one small, and one of the newer large ones. The large one has carried the Kreg Jig since day one, and I just talked to a manager at the smaller one yesterday about it, and he said they will be carrying the Kreg Jig in about a week. As I recall, it's $129 + tax at Menard's. If you have a wood show in the near future, you might hold out for that as they usually have a booth and a show special that's slightly cheaper and/or has more stuff with the kit.

Jim Becker
03-20-2004, 10:44 AM
The Kreg system is absolutely a good investment for your shop. Pocket screws are handy for such a wide variety of things and when you start doing a whole bunch of cabinets, etc., you'll really appreciate the self-clamping aspect of using them.

I have the older system, but have worked with the current version...which is even better. Go for it.

John Weber
03-20-2004, 11:30 AM
I agree, I have the older on as well, but use it all the time for all sorts of stuff.

John

P.S. Lowes also carries it, but the wood shows have the best package deals - although not worth waiting for if you are ready to get started...

Tyler Howell
03-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Dean,
$129.00 is the best price I've seen for the new pro set up. Got mine from Amazon No S&H fees. great tool. gets a workout around here.

Dean Baumgartner
03-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Not sure if you have them in your area, but I know they are in WI--Menard's. We have 2 stores locally, one small, and one of the newer large ones. The large one has carried the Kreg Jig since day one, and I just talked to a manager at the smaller one yesterday about it, and he said they will be carrying the Kreg Jig in about a week. As I recall, it's $129 + tax at Menard's. If you have a wood show in the near future, you might hold out for that as they usually have a booth and a show special that's slightly cheaper and/or has more stuff with the kit.

Thanks Jason,
Yes we have Menards, haven't checked there. I used to shop there often but the quality of everything they carry has gone down to the point that it's a last resort.
I wish there was going to be a show here soon. They used to have one every year but haven't for the last 3 or 4.

Dean

Dean Baumgartner
03-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Dean,
$129.00 is the best price I've seen for the new pro set up. Got mine from Amazon No S&H fees. great tool. gets a workout around here.

Thanks Tyler, I'll check out Amazon. With the no shipping and no tax it should be a little less than local.

Dean

Mike Evertsen
03-21-2004, 8:22 AM
Thanks Jason,
Yes we have Menards, haven't checked there. I used to shop there often but the quality of everything they carry has gone down to the point that it's a last resort.
I wish there was going to be a show here soon. They used to have one every year but haven't for the last 3 or 4.

Dean

there was a woodworking show in milwaukee in Feburary they had a good deal on them. There will be the Chicago show in Villapark IL next month.

Thomas Prondzinski
03-21-2004, 9:12 AM
Dean
Take a look at CMT's new cabinet making system,using a special tongue and groove to hold face frame on and pocket screws to build the face frame.Just recieved my cabinet making set yesterday. You can order a video from Sommerfelds on this new system.

Tom

Keith Outten
03-21-2004, 1:00 PM
THe Kregg Pro system is the first item I tried to get a bulk buy on months ago. The best price I was offered was $119.00 which I didn't feel was enough of a discount to be worthwhile. I would be glad to try again if anyone knows of a company who would be willing to deal with us as a group and provide an attractive discount.

Jim O'Dell
03-21-2004, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the help.

Dean

Hi! I've done some net shopping on this too. Try this site. I don't remember what the shipping is, but comes with a 675 variety piece set of screws for 132.50. http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/ab/kreg/k2000.htm?L+coastest+wzsp2187ff273827+1047186062

I saw somewhere the other day on line, maybe Grizzly, that comes with another clamp that goes into the pocket, plus a video for 134.95. It's Eagle America, and actually on their catalogue, back page,
Does anyone remember how much it was at the shows? What extras you get for the price? The video is no big thing for me. I bet it's the same thing that you can download from the Kreg site. Pretty informative, though.
My wife and I are putting in a contract for a house tomorrow. I'll eventually be redoing the kitchen there too, if we get it. I plan on getting mine by the end of the year! Good luck, Let us know if you find any great deals on it. Maybe Keith can get Eagle America to chip in and we can all get a better deal!!! Jim.

eric hann
05-10-2004, 6:47 PM
Dean,
If you can hold out for a woodworking show, Kreg had pretty good deals last year. I got the video (not too impressive), I got the 10 x 10 plate, the screws, the K2000 system with all three jigs, a couple clamps, etc.
However, if you dig thru this thread, you'll see that we're talking ten bucks or so.
It all comes down to when ya need it. If quick, Amazon is usually a good deal. kregtools.com is usually higher than other places. go figure.

Regards,
Eric

Chris Padilla
05-10-2004, 7:12 PM
The Kreg is awesome...everyone should have a system. I find I use the coarse screws more than the fine screws so get yourself a variety of lengths of the coarse ones. I found I need 3" coarse screws a lot (securing cabinets through ply, drywall, and into the stud in the wall).

Easily the most used jig in my arsenal.

Tyler Howell
05-10-2004, 8:06 PM
I found better prices at Amazon for the main unit than the ww show. They charge tax at the wws too. Screws and acc. were cheaper and available.

Mark Singer
05-10-2004, 8:12 PM
I would get the whole kit....I resisted it for a long time and now I use it a whole lot! $129 sounds good!

Jerry Todd
05-10-2004, 9:00 PM
Hey Dean,
Go for it. I have had mine for 2 or three years and use it all the time. Just finished a set of cabinets for our church kitchen. Couldn't have done it without the Kreg jig. Think about spending the extra $39.00 for the Kreg UBKXXX Universal Bench Klamp. It helps a lot with the face frames.
Good luck with your project. Looking forward to the pictures.
Jerry

Dan Mages
05-11-2004, 8:22 AM
Is it worth getting the whole pro kit, or will the basic $20 package do as well? What extra goodies do I get with the pro kit that makes it worth it?

Dan

larry merlau
05-11-2004, 8:47 AM
[i have used the pro kreg jig and for face frames it works well would also suggest looking at the cmt style. has some advantages over the kreg for cabinets using there system. but it is a great jig and wont part with it, also 129 to 139 is the price range i have seen.

larry merlau
05-11-2004, 8:55 AM
also dean.cmt has a good video on producing there face frames with a pocket jig. i have dealt with the kreg support staff in reguards to some trouble i had starting out and they were very helpful and prompt.

Tyler Howell
05-11-2004, 9:07 AM
Is it worth getting the whole pro kit, or will the basic $20 package do as well? What extra goodies do I get with the pro kit that makes it worth it?

Dan
You get what you pay for. Do the math!
Dan the pro Kit had lots of features I thought I'd never use. To date I've bought extra clamps, alignment plate, and lots more screws. Used it all. Worn out a drill bit and (robinson screw driver?) square drive bit already and I've only had it since Xmas. Not bad for a weekend hack!:D

Greg Heppeard
05-11-2004, 9:24 AM
I use mine all the time. Coarse screws for softer wood and fine thread for hardwoods. For 3/4 stock, I usually use the 1 1/4" screws. I never thought that I would use the 1 1/2" feature, but it's come in handy several times. Go for it...it's worth every penny.

Ed Falis
05-11-2004, 1:17 PM
Take a look at CMT's new cabinet making system,using a special tongue and groove to hold face frame on and pocket screws to build the face frame.... Tom

Tom,

Let us know how that works out once you've had a chance to use it.

- Ed

Ed Falis
05-11-2004, 1:21 PM
THe Kregg Pro system is the first item I tried to get a bulk buy on months ago. The best price I was offered was $119.00 which I didn't feel was enough of a discount to be worthwhile. I would be glad to try again if anyone knows of a company who would be willing to deal with us as a group and provide an attractive discount.

Keith,

Maybe someone like Sommerfeld would be willing to do a deal on the CMT kit?

- Ed

Christopher Pine
05-11-2004, 9:05 PM
I have the Kreg Pro pak... Got it at woodworkers show a couple years ago... I use it a lot for cabinets! Matter of fact I used it yesterday... I love this jig! I have heard some make the statement somthing like well I prefer to do it more like a craftsman would... OIE! THis jig makes fast work of just what you are talking about.. face frames and the like. I think nothing wrong with using this system over any other way of doing it. I just figuritivelky thumb my nose at the naysayers and build away... Most of what I sue it for the holes are all concelaled anyways and no one is the wiser..
The price I am hearing is about right.. I think I paid about 129.
Chris Pine

Dale Thompson
05-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Dean,
I'll make it pretty much 100%. Go with the Kreg.

Dale T.

Dean Baumgartner
05-12-2004, 9:19 AM
Dale,
This post somehow re-surfaced after I started it several weeks ago.
I bought the pro-pack on Amazon and love it so far.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and opinions.

Dean

Tyler Howell
05-12-2004, 11:13 AM
One thing there is no shortage of and that's opinions. Just like #$$h0!!5 Every body's got one.:D I see where nubeez will pop these things back into play not reading the post date. I'm as bad as the rest trying to get my $.02 in. Good refresher.
Maybe Kregg will give us a good deal everytime we re-invent the wheel.:p

eric hann
05-12-2004, 2:15 PM
I kinda like the fact that old threads come back to get new opinions. As I only get a little time to play on the web and not much more time acting like a craftsman in my garage, I would miss a bunch if old threads weren't revived.

Doug Littlejohn
05-12-2004, 3:50 PM
Try Ebay. I got my set there for under $100 shipped. Same set in the plastic case, just less. ;)