PDA

View Full Version : PSI Spindle adaptor

Moshe Eshel
03-17-2008, 5:02 PM
Hi All,

I recently bought a new lathe (JET 1642 EVS PRO 2 HP), I still have my old JET Mini and wanted to use the Talon chuck I had (with the 1" 8 TPI adapter).
So I bought an spindle adaptor from PSI converts the 1 1/4 8 TPI thread of the 1642 to 1" 8TPI - it seems to be well machined, however when runing at the slower speeds it wobbles (faster speeds it seems to stabilize).

I haven't loaded anything on it, since this made me a little worried...

Has anyone had this experience, what do I do? is there a chance that a replacement from PSI would be better than this? Or do I have to buy a more expensive adaptor from JET or CSUSA (at those prices I would probably just buy a new stronghold chuck - wouldn't be much of a difference :()

Thanks
Moshe

robert hainstock
03-17-2008, 6:30 PM
Hi Duanne, I have a PSI chuck, and it has a screw in adapter. I have expierenced no run out with it. If you are adding an adapter to an existing adapter you might have some problems. You should be getting all kindsof advice shortly. Good luck sorting it out. :eek:
Bob

robert hainstock
03-17-2008, 6:33 PM
The best thing I do any more is forget.:eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Curt Fuller
03-17-2008, 9:00 PM
I think you would have been better off to just buy a new insert for the Talon for the 1 1/4" x 8 spindle on the bigger Jet. The more things you have to screw together the greater the chance of things not running true. You can get a new insert from Oneway.
http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/adaptors.htm

Thomas Canfield
03-17-2008, 9:45 PM
Moshe,

I have a PSI and a Jet adapter. The Jet does seem to be better quality and has the lock screws so you can use it in reverse rotation, but the PSI has not caused any problem or significant wobble. One problem I have noticed is getting larger pieces to seat in the chuck. The Jet video that came with my Powermatic said to remove the chuck and install the piece with the chuck sitting and the piece above the chuck. That has helped getting the pieces seated and reduced wobble more than anything else. That works for my Stronghold with 1 1/4" thread or Talon with 1" thread and using the adapter.

Moshe Eshel
12-08-2008, 4:04 AM
Thanks Curt, I eventually realized that the only accessory I had that was using the 1" 8TPI thread was the chuck, and that the new lathe was bound to become the main working tool - so I just ordered the adaptor from Oneway - it took it's time to arrive, and not so simple to insert correctly - but much better than the PSI spindle adaptor.

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2008, 7:31 AM
Moshe - glad to see you finally got your problem taken care of! Congrats on the big Jet - it's a great lathe! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!