PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini lathe capacity

Greg Muller
03-17-2008, 2:57 PM
Considering this;

JML-1014IVS: 10"x14" Variable Speed Mini Lathe

Question; I really want to start turning some platters- what diameter can I turn with this? I know the minimum speed of 500rpm will limit that, but large can I (reasonably)outboard turn a platter?:confused:

Greg

Robert McGowen
03-17-2008, 3:03 PM
Depending on how round your blank starts out, you could probably get a 9.5" plate, but closer to 9" would be more reasonable to shoot for. I wasn't aware that the Jet mini could do outboard turnings. :confused:

Scott Hubl
03-17-2008, 3:04 PM
There is no outboard option on that lathe.

You maybe able to get a 8 1/2" or 9" platter with perfectly round cut blanks..

Rick Huelsbeck
03-17-2008, 3:05 PM
Considering this;

JML-1014IVS: 10"x14" Variable Speed Mini Lathe

Question; I really want to start turning some platters- what diameter can I turn with this? I know the minimum speed of 500rpm will limit that, but large can I (reasonably)outboard turn a platter?:confused:

Greg

I had one and about 9 inches is biggest you can go, unless you have a model I've not heard of, they won't turn outboard.:eek:

Greg Muller
03-17-2008, 3:42 PM
Oh. I thought you could slide the motor all the way down to the end of the bed for outboard operations. Maybe that was a different model?

Darn. I want at least a 16" platter capacity.

What models am I going to have to consider??? I can't get too expensive, but not many used lathes go on sale around here on CL...

Greg

Jim Underwood
03-17-2008, 3:44 PM
I've gotten about 9-1/4 out of mine, but that's pushing the limits. And I don't have the VS option either. When you're truing up that blank on the perimeter, it's slowing down a good bit unless you're light on the cut.

I'm not sure what the VS speed model would do with a blank that big.

If you really want to do platters, then I'd get something with a bit more capacity like the little Nova lathe that sells for under a $1000.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-17-2008, 6:59 PM
Motor does not on any mini's I've seen. Must be much bigger and MORE EXPENSIVE, unless used.

Bruce

RL Johnson
03-17-2008, 9:02 PM
Oh. I thought you could slide the motor all the way down to the end of the bed for outboard operations. Maybe that was a different model?

Darn. I want at least a 16" platter capacity.

What models am I going to have to consider??? I can't get too expensive, but not many used lathes go on sale around here on CL...

Greg

With a sliding head you are looking at the Jet 1642 or the Powermatic 3520B. When you want to go big as in diameter there are no inexpensive lathes.

David Wilhelm
03-17-2008, 9:48 PM
Jet 1442 tilts and slides can be wired 110 or 220 and you can turn 16" out with it. and it's cheaper by far than 1642 220 vt or the PM and you can find them used for a real deal if you look hard and dont mind a drive.

Bob Hamilton
03-17-2008, 9:55 PM
Many of the 12" bench top lathes had a headstock that could be rotated 90 degrees to provide a form of outboard turning. I haven't been paying much attention to what is on the market at present so I don't know if this is still a common feature of the mid priced lathes.

Good luck!
Bob

Jim Becker
03-17-2008, 9:59 PM
Jet 1442 tilts and slides can be wired 110 or 220 and you can turn 16" out with it. and it's cheaper by far than 1642 220 vt or the PM and you can find them used for a real deal if you look hard and dont mind a drive.
True, but the bottom end speed can start to be an issue when roughing out something that large on a non-VFD controlled lathe.

David Wilhelm
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Yep I'd love to drop 100 more RPMs but I have to make up for it by getting my blanks trimmed up better and more evenly balanced, then i take very light cuts to true it up.