PDA

View Full Version : Need a good 1" scraper or weblink to one

Duane Broussard
03-17-2008, 1:52 PM
Broke my 1" scraper and it seems most I find is 3/4" or smaller. I can work with a 3/4" but I'd like to go back to what I was use to if possible. Not real keen on the best brands out there. Any suggestions on where to find one, or a website link pointing me to a good one??
Thanks in advance
Duane

Duane Broussard
03-17-2008, 1:53 PM
Oh... by the way.... Its a round nose scraper I'm looking for.
Thanks

Rick Huelsbeck
03-17-2008, 1:58 PM
I have a 1" Benjamins Best I bought at PSI, not real expensive and does a nice job.

Scott Hubl
03-17-2008, 2:00 PM
Well you broke the one you had, Maybe it's time to go with better Quality.
I like my Robert Sorby's very much.
Woodcraft had or has an exclusive one that is Very Thick from Sorby.
I've had some mean catches and not a scratch on it let along bend or break them.

If you have a Woodcraft locally see if they have any in stock, not sure if they can still be ordered or not.

Dick Strauss
03-17-2008, 2:47 PM
Duane,
How did you break your current scraper? Maybe we can help you figure out what went wrong so that you don't have a nasty catch like that again!

I also recommend the the Benjamin's Best tools from PSI (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lx120.html). I have their 1 1/2" round nose scraper that is between 5/16 and 3/8" thick. The 1" version goes for $20. Their tools are a good value (at 1/3 the cost) but are not as good as a Sorby.

FYI-I have no connection to PSI.

Good luck,
Dick

Duane Broussard
03-17-2008, 3:18 PM
Thanks for the link Dick. I'd seen these on my search but I wasn't sure of the quality. But if you guys think they're decent for the price, I may just go with one for replacement. I have seen the extra thick ones (Scorby) I think, that I don't think I'm quite ready to spend the money on. Guess I'll have to break a few more before I shuck out that much cash on one.
Oh... and the reason it broke I believe was just simply divets and cracks in the wood. Not turning bowls, but large spindles to be used on rustic furniture. Think I just had a hicup while standing there spinning and drove the tool in there a bit too far.
PS: Don't hicup while turning. Its dangerous.

Thanks fellas
Duane

Ben Gastfriend
03-17-2008, 5:01 PM
I have a 1" Benjamins Best I bought at PSI, not real expensive and does a nice job.

Me too, and it works great.

David Wilhelm
03-17-2008, 5:15 PM
Check with Doug Thompson I'm not sure of his price on scrapers. You'll need to turn your own handle and also round you end his tools come Sq so you can put your own touch to it. You will have quality with his tool for sure and also your own pride in the fact that you have a part in making the handle and giving it your personal touch. He's a member here look him up and shoot him an email.

Duane Broussard
03-18-2008, 3:21 PM
Hey thanks Will... think I saw those but was wondering why they were just square. I'll certainly look into it.
Oh and by the way... I think I've settled on the JET 1642 EVS-2 for my lathe purchase. I'll save for a brand new one unless I come across someone who is getting rid of one in really great shape.
Thanks again Will!

Gordon Seto
03-18-2008, 3:33 PM
was wondering why they were just square.

Just grind it to the shape you like.

robert hainstock
03-18-2008, 4:16 PM
I just recieved a bens best 1 1/2, and cannot imagine breaking it. They are HSS, high speed steel, and will last till you are ready for better. Sorby tools are also HSS, or they say differentl in the ad. The next step up seems to be Cryogenicly treatedsteel ala Doug thompson. They will last longer m,ost likely. :)

Dale Gregory
03-18-2008, 5:06 PM
Hey thanks Will... think I saw those but was wondering why they were just square. I'll certainly look into it.
Oh and by the way... I think I've settled on the JET 1642 EVS-2 for my lathe purchase. I'll save for a brand new one unless I come across someone who is getting rid of one in really great shape.
Thanks again Will!

You can't go wrong with the Jet 1642 unless you think you will want to turn 20" platters or such. You might want to search the classified section, as there was someone there trying to sell a brand new one in the crate a week or so ago. I've got my eye on one of the BB 1-1/2" scrapers as they have some good bulk/weight which will help eliminate tool chatter when extended out from the rest.

Dale

David Wilhelm
03-18-2008, 6:41 PM
Now yer talking......... Look at all of Doug's tools. I'm getting ready to get a couple myself. Just have a few other things to do first. Yard sale comes to mind LOL