PDA

View Full Version : Gabon Ebony infilled plane

Ron Brese
03-17-2008, 9:37 AM
This little plane is just under 2"wide x 6.5" long and uses a 1.5" wide 1/4" thick iron. The sole is 5/16" thick and the sides are 3/16" thick brass. The bedding angle is 55 degrees and the mouth is set at .004. The iron can be reversed and the plane can be used as a scraper with an effective cutting angle of 85 degrees (the iron is ground at 30 degrees). The ebony is a bit of a pill to work and it will turn your hands black, however it polishes up quite well and so the rewards are worth the extra effort required.

I have made earlier versions of this plane, however I made some subtle changes to the design for this plane. The bedding angle changed from 50 to 55 degrees increasing the hand hold area behind the irons, the sides are made from 3/16" thick brass in lieu of 1/4" on earlier versions, and I changed the radius of the front and rear, I was amazed at the difference these changes made in physical and visual balance.

Ron Brese

Matthew Poeller
03-17-2008, 9:50 AM
Ron,

That is an awesome looking plane. Do you make these for yourself or are you in business?

Just out out of curiosity what kind of tools do you need to do something like this. Looks like you need a mill and probably some other metal working tools.

Matt

Doug Shepard
03-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Does it come with a free bib? I'd be afraid of drooling all over it as I used it.:D Looks like it would be a pleasure to use though.

Chuck Hamman
03-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Matt,
Check out breseplanes.com. Ron has a section on his site where he explains his construction technique.

-Chuck

Jim Koepke
03-17-2008, 1:25 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o...

I like...

It is beautiful.

jim

Jim Becker
03-17-2008, 2:06 PM
Ron, yet another work of art from you! That's absolutely beautiful...'bet it cuts wonderfully, too. ;)

Louis Rucci
03-17-2008, 2:49 PM
That's actually http://www.breseplane.com/

Jeff Wittrock
03-17-2008, 5:16 PM
Beautiful work!

I can't even see the line where the side plates meet the sole. I understand these are riveted together?

Kurt Bird
03-17-2008, 5:28 PM
Jeff,
Click on the first photo and look closely, you will see a row of circles along the bottom edge.
Kurt:)

gary Zimmel
03-17-2008, 5:30 PM
SWEET looking plane...

Eddie Darby
03-17-2008, 6:29 PM
Now that's what I call a plane!:D

Have you tried a 35 degree blade in the scraper mode?

Chris Padilla
03-17-2008, 6:37 PM
Looks like it could glide through wood all by itself...you'd hardly need to push it! Stunning!

Mike Cutler
03-17-2008, 9:07 PM
Oh,oh,oh.... When I grow up can I have one of those?:D

Now being serious, 'cause we're 'sposed to be grownups here.
That is a very striking plane you have there Ron. It's beautiful. It truly is a very fine tool.

Doug Shepard
03-17-2008, 9:14 PM
... 'cause we're 'sposed to be grownups here.

It's hard to act growd up with candy like that aint it:D

Johnny Kleso
03-19-2008, 3:32 PM
That's a Beauty Ron,

Send me an email if you still need and parts made...

Oh other than Norris Adjuster I just not ready to send a few weeks making them right now..

Johnny aka rarebear

Ron Brese
03-19-2008, 7:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. It is really very satisfying to see something that you have worked very hard to create be so well received. It also motivates you to get back in the shop to create your next plane.

Mike you don't have to grown up to have one of these, I'm not grown up and I have one. I may be 54 but grown up is a whole different mindset. If you doubt this ask Doug Shepard, he can explain it.

Eddie I haven't had time to regrind an iron but that is an interesting idea.

Johnny I'll be in touch.

Chris this plane does work remarkably well, if I say so myself.

Thanks to all,

Ron Brese

www.breseplane.com

Johnny Kleso
03-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Ron visited me a few months back with one of those beautys and it a sweet plane..

I'll say that Ron will give Karl Holtey a run for his money for sure :)

I think Karl changes $4,400
Must be nice to be rich :)

Doug Shepard
03-22-2008, 7:31 AM
Oh,oh,oh.... When I grow up can I have one of those?:D

Well Mike I figured the big Five-Oh (Book em Dan-O) was growd up enough and I pulled the trigger on one of these. Got a birthday coming up and figured I'd celebrate in style. Looks like you'll only have to wait another year and you'll be grown up enough to get one too.:D Now I just have to ship Ron the ebony that he's going to make it from. Had a nice piece of Ceylon ebony sitting around and worked out a small trade.

Mike Cutler
03-22-2008, 8:48 AM
Yep. The big 5-0 is coming. Funny, I don't feel like I'm fifty. But then what was fifty supposed to feel like? They never gave us a standard when "we were young".

I never thought about supplying the wood. I have some African Blackwood, and Macassar Ebony that would make nice plane totes and knobs.

Ron does make a beautiful plane. Maybe I won't wait 'til I'm 50.;)