PDA

View Full Version : Hall table completed

RickT Harding
03-17-2008, 8:46 AM
I finally finished my hall table I've been working on since around Christmas. LOML started asking that I do something for the "inside" of the house instead of just things for the shop so I could tell if I was going to really like this hobby I was pouring time and $$ into.

Lots of life lessons on wood acclimation, sanding, gluing, etc in here.

I wanted to thanks the guys in the finishing forum for their tips throughout. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with how things came out.

So presenting my first furniture project:
(Full pics of the whole construction process in the gallery here (http://mihardings.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=20206))

http://mihardings.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22140&g2_serialNumber=2

http://mihardings.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22125&g2_serialNumber=2

http://mihardings.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22110&g2_serialNumber=2

Jim Becker
03-17-2008, 9:09 AM
That's very nice work, Rick! It looks right at home in your hall, too. :) So...what's the next project?? ;) 'Can't wait to see it!

RickT Harding
03-17-2008, 9:14 AM
That's very nice work, Rick! It looks right at home in your hall, too. :) So...what's the next project?? ;) 'Can't wait to see it!

Next up is putting a ceiling in the shop and getting insulation in there. Then I've been working on some designs for a chisel cabinet for the shop. I've told LOML to start thinking about what she would want next and it's either something for an entertainment center or night stands. So we'll see. :)

Roger Warford
03-17-2008, 9:23 AM
Looks great Rick. That's something you can be proud of. By the way, I like your "assembly table"! :) Looks alot like mine!

RickT Harding
03-17-2008, 9:25 AM
Looks great Rick. That's something you can be proud of. By the way, I like your "assembly table"! :) Looks alot like mine!

Yea, as someone without a lot of space/workshop projects complete the door on saw horses assembly table along with the dining room finishing table were vital. :D

Don Bullock
03-17-2008, 9:28 AM
So presenting my first furniture project...

Wow, Rick that's a beautiful "first furniture project." As Jim said it looks nice in the hall. While it's great to do projects in the shop, you can't beat doing a project like that for your own home. I'm looking forward to seeing your next project.:D

J. Z. Guest
03-17-2008, 9:32 AM
Very nice Rick. You've set a high standard for yourself for future furniture projects. If the wife gives you too much grief, you might point out that you like to make all your mistakes on the shop furniture, so that when you build something for the house, it turns out well. :D

Duncan Potter
03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Very, very nice. Congratulations!

John Thompson
03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Excellent job Rick. Nice clean and simple lines and giving it some contrast with the top....

My first project was a bread-box (we had bread-boxes in 1972.. ha.. ha...) with a circular saw. Didn't look as good as your first project. And you better listen to the wife.. you can't get away with improving the shop forever before the Big Chief speaks with a harsh voice. Trust me! :D

Excellent start....

Sarge..

Joe Chritz
03-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Looks very nice. I would hate to cover up the nice curly figure but it really needs a plant. :D

Did it buy you some time for shop stuff?

Joe

gary Zimmel
03-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Excellent job Rick. The table looks great.

RickT Harding
03-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Looks very nice. I would hate to cover up the nice curly figure but it really needs a plant. :D

Did it buy you some time for shop stuff?

Joe

I think I've bought some time more so with the request for her to start looking at designs for a next project.

The first thing my wife asked was "Can I put a vase on it? That would look good"

Now it's up to her to find a "worthy" vase. :D

Joe Vincent
03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Fantastic job, Rick. What kind of wood did you use for the apron and legs? What are the dimensions of the table? I've got a similar project on the horizon.

RickT Harding
03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Fantastic job, Rick. What kind of wood did you use for the apron and legs? What are the dimensions of the table? I've got a similar project on the horizon.

The base is all walnut. I started out with these plans on plans now:
http://plansnow.com/halltabl.html

I made mine a little taller and the legs a little thicker so that the taper didn't go too thin with the extra length. Did the DT drawers instead of the rabbet they had in the plans.

Rough dims are something like:
The top is 42x14 3/4 (overlap is 1 1/4 sides/front and 1/2 back)
The legs are 32" tall + the 5/8 top thickness
Aprons are a bit over 5" tall

HTH and look forward to seeing pics of yours down the road.

Greg Cole
03-17-2008, 1:29 PM
Rick,
Well done. Very nice for a first.... ;). Nice combo of woods too.
I think we all hear a little noise about shop time, comes with the territory.
I made a promise to LOML to use my time for a little more than spending in the shop and get "round-tu-its" for some 'round the house stuff.

Cheers.
Greg

Lori Kleinberg
03-17-2008, 2:17 PM
Great looking table. I love the contrasting woods. Nice dovetails too.

glenn bradley
03-17-2008, 3:31 PM
That's a beauty and a perfect spot for it too.

Brent Ring
03-17-2008, 3:42 PM
Beautiful Wood Combinations - I like the slotted leg concept to attach the aprons. I had not thought about that before, and its given me some ideas.

Great Work! - Very Impressed!

Joe Chritz
03-17-2008, 3:43 PM
Now it's up to her to find a "worthy" vase. :D

Own a lathe? Have at it.

Joe

RickT Harding
03-17-2008, 5:29 PM
Own a lathe? Have at it.

Joe

Ha, no. I figure I'll work on trying to learn the things I have now before getting into a whole new world in lathes.

Chris Friesen
03-17-2008, 7:26 PM
Gorgeous table...I love the contrast between the woods and the figure in the top. For a first "real" project, it's very good.

I do have some comments though...these are my personal opinions and others may disagree.

I'd be tempted to see what it looks like with just a bit more overhang on the short sides. It might balance the proportions a bit more, or it might just look funny.

Some of the legs have wild grain. I'd probably have gone for a straighter-grain look. One way to do this is to cut the legs so that the rings are diagonal when you look at the end of the leg blank. That way you get similar grain on all four sides.

Dennis Meek
03-17-2008, 7:31 PM
RickT

That is soooooooo beautiful!!! The simplicity of it's looks is awesome. Wow!! Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

RickT Harding
03-17-2008, 7:32 PM
Gorgeous table...I love the contrast between the woods and the figure in the top. For a first "real" project, it's very good.

I do have some comments though...these are my personal opinions and others may disagree.

I'd be tempted to see what it looks like with just a bit more overhang on the short sides. It might balance the proportions a bit more, or it might just look funny.

Some of the legs have wild grain. I'd probably have gone for a straighter-grain look. One way to do this is to cut the legs so that the rings are diagonal when you look at the end of the leg blank. That way you get similar grain on all four sides.

Thank for the advice. I had hoped to have the top a little thicker, but after battling tearout on the planer I ended up with it a bit thin. I hadn't thought about having the ends extend farther. I'll have to remember that.

The legs were definitely one giant learning experience in wood. Due to acclimation two of the legs bent at the knots. Filling the knots with epoxy was fun, and I definitely agree that straighter grain would have been nicer. I need to learn to work on that when cutting the wood. Since the legs were the first part I did I actually made the most mistakes on them.

Norman Pyles
03-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Great looking table, and beautiful wood on the top.:cool: