PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
03-17-2008, 7:29 AM
17 Mar 2008
Peace and Health to you all.

Well, I can honestly say that to you this morning. The youngest son started out with a stomach virus at 01:35AM Saturday morning, then the daughter started feeling uneasy Saturday night, I was feeling like my stomach was rolling Saturday night Sunday morning, and now the LOML woke me up at 4AM this morning with her being sick. I've been fighting a cough which usually turns into a sinus infection after a few days or even worse, Walking Pneumonia. Needless to say that I have not been in the shop over this weekend and we'll be doing good to have everyone well by this Easter.

Besides tending to sick folks and watching movies on the tv, not much else has been going on. So, I'll just leave it at that for now.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of healthy weeks to you all.

RickT Harding
03-17-2008, 8:48 AM
I managed to put the last coats of finish on the hall table I've been working on. Pics in the thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=805414#post805414

I got to meet Chris Schwatz and hang out with the galoots in the local group on Sat which was cool.

Spend most of the rest of the time with my head buried in a book on Django working on code. A balance you could say.

David Duke
03-17-2008, 8:55 AM
Dennis, I thought I had a rough weekend until I read your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you and yours get to feeling better soon.

As to my weekend, it was actually pretty productive, I finished the case work on the balance of our pantry units and have them stained. I hope to get the topcoat applied this week and get them installed the coming weekend. I haven't built the doors yet but I am scheduled to start a full house of cabinets ASAP pending final design approval and will be working on a tight schedule so looks like the completion of my personal stuff will be pushed to the side. Sunday we went and visited with my mom for a little while then went to begin spoiling our newest grand baby!!!!!

Hope everyone had a GREAT weekend and Dennis hope everyone gets to feeling better.

JayStPeter
03-17-2008, 10:04 AM
I picked up the 150bf of Cherry that I had sawn from the kiln guy. Not good. It all twisted cupped and warped. There was pith running down the center of lots of the boards so they had split and cracked. I saved half of it and piled the other half up for burning. I was afraid that it was going to have this problem when I saw it as I don't think it was all trunk wood.
I also did some yardwork. I can't imagine a better way to spend a weekend than fertilizing and spreading mulch in 30MPH winds. But, the place had to be presentable for next weekends Easter party.
Hope you all feel better Dennis.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Not much shop time this weekend.

Friday night I got to work at a local medical center.

Friday afternoon our little 18 month old great-granddaughter came over to spend the night with Paw-Paw and Nanny. Recently she has decided she doesn't want to sleep alone in the play pen anymore. So Sharon took little Riley to the guest bedroom about 11:30 Friday night. Sharon pushed the bed up against the wall (She thought). About 2:30 a.m. Sharon heard a "THUMP" and a cry......awakening all she could see was 2 lttle feet flailing the air. After retrieving little Riley, she gathered evey unused pillow in the house...repositioned the bed against the wall...placed all the pillows against the wall and the bed....

Saturday was spent entertaining little Riley.

Sunday a little work at a local medical center and shopping for some hoses to adapt my table saw and scms to the dc. Will have to try Ag-Pro this morning.

Jim Becker
03-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Dennis, we had "that one" go through this house a few weeks ago...it was not pleasant and did last a few days for each of us. Hopefully, you will all be feeling better soon!

As to the weekend, took the younger to the dentist on Saturday morning and after the whole family had lunch at Chipolte Grill (excellent!), I got in the shop and cut up a bunch of 1/2" cherry plywood for the upper cabinets for my new office. After sanding them and masking off edges, etc., they got an application of oil. Sunday, I got them sprayed with shellac in the morning and after an excursion to NJ for lunch, a visit to Tabby's Place (a cat sanctuary where our girls sponsor a kitty) and buying some cheap NJ gas ($3.01 vs $3.25 here in PA), I got back in the shop to shoot the panels with a couple coats of satin USL.

While that was drying, I used the big orange power tool (Kubota) to remove a few bushes from in front of my shop building in preparation of the painting going to occur and heeled them in for later transplant on the property. I also moved a large hunk of landscape grass to a different location so it will not encroach upon the new walkway next to the addition.

One other thing I worked on was moving articles from my current web site design into a BLOG format. Once converted, most of the existing content will still be available and it will be much easier for me to add new things...something I haven't done in a very long time for lack of time to code web pages. Even in Dreamweaver, it takes time that I just don't have. With the BLOG format, it just means "write" and it happens.

Jared Minor
03-17-2008, 10:52 AM
My wife was having one of her college friends come in on Saturday afternoon, so I had to finish putting up a 10'x10' gazebo from that we got from Lowe's. Suprisingly, it is well put together, I'll find out how it stands up to the winds today, supposed to be up around 40 mph. Once LOML friend came in, it was shop time. I got alot of stuff organized, a small drill press table built. Made a board to hold my forstner bits, hole saws, and spade bits. Turned a small rolling pin out of some spalted live oak, for my brother in law's wife that was supposed to be for Christmas. This is the most shop time I've had since our 5 month old daughter was born. I enjoyed the shop time, but I sure missed being around my wife and daughter over the weekend.

Steven Wilson
03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Well it was close to 50F last week and in the 30's this weekend so it was finally time to fireup the torpedo heater in the garage and make sawdust. I decided to make a couple of knives which was a fun change of pace. Now to make some sheaths for them.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2008, 1:17 PM
Saturday I took Chris Schwarz's dovetailing class at Woodcraft, then met up with Rick, Chris, and several others for dinner. It was a great day, but LOOOONNNG as I left home before 7AM and didn't return until 10:30PM. Sunday we ran a couple errands, tried the Del Taco built in in Ohio, which happens to be nearby (OK, but Chipotle's better and about the same cost.) Mostly spent the rest of the day not doing too much as I've got a pretty bad cold and I was worn down from the day before and a long workweek before that.

Dave Stuve
03-17-2008, 5:41 PM
I finally raised the panels for the blanket chest I'm making, and dry-assembled it for the first time. It's my first frame-and-panel project, so I was a bit nervous.... Here's a photo (walnut frame, cherry panels...):

Dave

Greg Peterson
03-17-2008, 6:12 PM
Installed the Delta T2 fence system on my old craftsman TS. I have been debating whether or not to spend the money on this TS. While this saw is still pretty crude, it is far more functional and accurate than it ever was before. And it sure beats clamping the original fence into place, triple measuring, reclamping, measure again, and so on and so on.

Also finished retro fitting an old workbench to accommodate my router. Built a five sided box via the Kreg pocket hole jig, attached a four inch ninety degree elbow on the bottom for DC, hinged the table top so I can get to the router and notched out the top edge of the box so the cord from the router won't get pinched between the table top and box side. I have a switched outlet about thigh high on the outside that turns the router on/off. Less noise and finally some DC.

Major steps towards functionality this weekend.

Gary Kvasnicka
03-17-2008, 7:00 PM
Took LOML to The Woodworking Show, I am so good to her. :rolleyes: Bought a pen making starter kit from the Craft Supplies booth. Turned my first two pens Sunday afternoon, gave them to my son & daughter (both in college) at a nice dinner get together my brother in law had to celebrate his retirement.

Gary

Brad Noble
03-17-2008, 7:08 PM
I spent the entire day (Sunday) working in the shop. Floor is filthy, tools are dirty, half my stuff isn't put away where it belongs and I failed to empty either dust collection bin (cyclone or wall mount shop-vac). Didn't accomplish a single thing but boy did I have a good time.

I may not have any talent but I bet I have as much fun as anyone here. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Or in our case, the sawdust on the floor!

Brad

Chris Padilla
03-17-2008, 7:15 PM
My neighbor and I hand dug a 65', 18" deep trench and chunked out about 12 old concrete postholes...in preparation for pouring a nice long lasting concrete foundation upon which we'll rebuild our common fence using 6x6 posts atop Simpson strongties!

I'm glad to be back at work resting.... ;)

I'll have some pics of the "Star Wars trench" up soon....

Doug Swanson
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
My 2yr old daughter and I went down to my parents and I got my future woodrack all welded up...my dad helped me alot as I was tacking it together and he was finishing welding...I got it hauled back up to MN so now it is in a pile in the garage....next step some touch up grinding and then paint!....

Steve Rozmiarek
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Thankfully, healthy, and no digging!

Fired up the new Onieda. 3hp Dust Gorrila, it really is an animal. Pity the poor cat if she gets too close to the floor sweep.... Put a new motor in the old bandsaw. That included fabricating a magnetic switch, fixing bearings, cleaning oilers, talking myself out of replacing the babbit with roller, rewiring everything, and walking several miles worth of trips between the wood shop and the farm shop for odds and ends. Fun weekend, no sawdust though.