PDA

View Full Version : Flat bottomed blade

Brian Kerley
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Hey Creekers, I'm wanting to cut some splines in a miter joint for a jewellery box and I need a flat ground blade to do it. Problem is, I can't seem to find one. I went to Home Depot because I had read somewhere that Ridgid makes a flat-bottomed one for like $20 but, no dice, all ATB at the Depot. So I've looked around and all I can find is the Freud @ Amazon for $50. Is there anything cheaper out there? I've got Forrest blades and such, but I'd hate to spend a ton of cash for a blade that is only going to be used for doing one thing on rare occasion.

Thanks!
Brian

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
What you are looking for is either a FTG (Flat Top Grind) or an ATB/R (alternating Top Bevel with a "Raker"). Not too common on cheaper blades but the FTG is not unusual on ripping blades which you might find at the BORG.

YM

Gary Herrmann
03-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Don't recall the price but look at the Freud box joint blade set.

Keith Starosta
03-17-2008, 7:26 AM
Don't recall the price but look at the Freud box joint blade set.

This was going to be my suggestion, too. I love my box joint blade set....does a great job!

- Keith

Curt Harms
03-17-2008, 7:58 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LM72R010-10-Inch-Ripping-PermaShield/dp/B0000225UD/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205754677&sr=8-3
I have this one and it gives a nice flat bottom for splines and "nibbling" a tenon. It also works better than you'd expect for crosscuts. Here's another cheaper choice that I have no experience with but Holbren has a pretty good rep:
http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=3735&cat=673&page=1

HTH

Curt

Tim Thomas
03-17-2008, 9:03 AM
I have an inexpensive dado set that I got at Lowe's and the two saw blades on the outside have flat grinds. I just use one of those blades whenever I need a narrow, flat bottomed groove. I think I only paid about $40 for the set and it is made by Mibro. Not top of the line by any means, but it seems to work fine for me.

**Edit**
You can get more info on the Mibro set from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Mibro-416371-Dado-Blade-Set/sim/B000HE87VI/2

I forgot to mention that it is an 8 inch set, so depending on how deep you are cutting the splines the blades might not be large enough for you.

John Thompson
03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I have the Freud box joint set at $79, Brian. It is more expensive than you wish to pay.. but it is a work of art. I just purchased it and did 240 individual box joints the next day in less than two hours. The blade is sharp and it gives you perfect 1/4" or 3/8" joints with ultra flat bottoms by simply the way you face the two blades to each other. I highly reccomend as you can use it latter for box joints.

With that said, you can get a 24 T CMT flat ground Thin Kerf at Highland Woodworking (or any CMT dealer if you Google) for around $34.95. I have two of these (full kerf.. not TK) for ripping 6/4 and under as it leaves and excellent edge ripping.

Good luck...

Sarge..

scott spencer
03-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Mike Jackson has a German Leitz/Delta Industrial 10T FTG full kerf for $10 plus s/h...~ $18.

Delta 10" 35-610 10 tooth ,Square,.125 kerf ,5/8" bore,+20 degree hook,$10 (http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3543987&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7)

Brian Kerley
03-17-2008, 1:00 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! On the "box joint" blades, does each blade have a flat grind to it and they just stack together?

John Thompson
03-17-2008, 1:32 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! On the "box joint" blades, does each blade have a flat grind to it and they just stack together?

There are only two blades, Brian. You face the printing outside for true 1/4".. you face the printing inside or facing each other for true 3/8". And I say true as I mic'ed them. They will not do wider dadoes as a standard dado set unless you make consecutive passed using the TS fence or using the slot on the box jig cleverly.

I don't personally like dado sets and just sold a Freud Super 6. But.. I love this thing as it leaves a very clean bottom and sides. The joints that came off them after I fine tuned the jig for about an hour with practice cuts required no clean up and I am picky to say the least in that department.

Regards...

Sarge..

Brian Kerley
03-17-2008, 1:53 PM
John,

Reason I was asking was because I'm wondering if I maybe should buy the box joint set, and right now just use one blade to get my 1/8" slot, but in the future I can do the box joints on some other projects I have been thinking of doing.

Lance Norris
03-17-2008, 4:20 PM
I have a 24tooth Freud rip blade that I use. Cheaper than the box joint set.

John Thompson
03-17-2008, 4:52 PM
And that's why I originally mentioned it Brian, as you did say you wanted something cheap. But.. it is an option (an excellent one as Freud nailed this one on the first try IMO) if you also do box joints. I don't get excited about new tools too much after 36 years... but this one brought up the excitement level a notch for me.

Again... only if you are looking for an investment with box joints in the future as there are cheaper options at your disposal for just a one night stand as your currently are... You know the answer to that question so just don't over-think it... :)

Sarge...

Peter Quinn
03-17-2008, 5:00 PM
The new Forrest WWII has the ATB-R format that produces flat bottom groves, perhaps you can justify its expense by using it regularly for other work AND for flat bottom grooves? Ridge carbide makes a similar product as does Amana, not sure on the pricing.. Borg has Rigid brand rip blades with FTG and some of the thinnest carbide I have ever seen, around $35 IIR.

scott spencer
03-17-2008, 6:53 PM
The new Forrest WWII has the ATB-R format that produces flat bottom groves, perhaps you can justify its expense by using it regularly for other work AND for flat bottom grooves? Ridge carbide makes a similar product as does Amana, not sure on the pricing.. Borg has Rigid brand rip blades with FTG and some of the thinnest carbide I have ever seen, around $35 IIR.

Any of the ATB/R configurations I've seen leave a "flatter" bottom than standard ATBs, but not truly flat. The points of the ATB teeth typically protrude slightly higher than the flat raker, which results in little "bat ears" at the corners of the kerf. It might still be fine his needs, but AFAIK, won't be "flat".

http://images.rockler.com/images/articles/comb.gif

Peter Quinn
03-17-2008, 7:16 PM
My mistake..the Forrest Woodworker II 40T custom is available in either a #1 grind which produces a true flat bottom, or a #6 grind (ATB-R?) which they describe as a 'nearly flat' groove.

Charles McCracken
03-18-2008, 12:03 PM
John,

Reason I was asking was because I'm wondering if I maybe should buy the box joint set, and right now just use one blade to get my 1/8" slot, but in the future I can do the box joints on some other projects I have been thinking of doing.

Brian,

The SBOX8 blades are designed to be used together and overlap so the actual kerf of each blade is more than 3/16" (sorry but since it's not a critical dimension I don't recall the exact kerf). So the only widths that are possible are 1/4" or 3/8".

Larry Fox
03-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Couldn't you just do it with a regular blade and work a chisel in and flatten it out? The edge of a metal file might also do it.