PDA

View Full Version : Condensation dripping for air handler coil

Michael Ballent
03-19-2004, 11:16 PM
While changing my air filter I noticed that there was water on the floor. While looking at it closer I noticed that water was condensing on the coils and just dripping off onto the floor. Called the A/C company and they are looking for a new coil and we are looking at the possibility of getting a new air handler :( Anyone out there know what the damage is going to be? for the coil or new air handler... The unit is about 10 years old. One final question... If the air handler does end up needing to be replaced can I use the motor for anything? Is it 220 or 110 and what would I expect the HP/Amperage be (gotta look at the bright side of everything ;) )

Thanks all
-Michael

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2004, 9:52 AM
While changing my air filter I noticed that there was water on the floor. While looking at it closer I noticed that water was condensing on the coils and just dripping off onto the floor. Called the A/C company and they are looking for a new coil and we are looking at the possibility of getting a new air handler :( Anyone out there know what the damage is going to be? for the coil or new air handler... The unit is about 10 years old. One final question... If the air handler does end up needing to be replaced can I use the motor for anything? Is it 220 or 110 and what would I expect the HP/Amperage be (gotta look at the bright side of everything ;) )

Thanks all
-Michael

Wew-Wee.....!!!

I would say you are in for around $1500 to $2000....maybe more since you're in Arizona. ;)

Use the old motor for a buffing wheel, or whatever else you need that will be light duty. The motor can be 220....however, the one I have is 110.....

Ken Garlock
03-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Given that you have a standard refrigerated AC system, and not an evaporative system, you will have condensate on the evaporator(cooling) coils. It is supposed to work that way. That is how you get the moisture out of the air. It appears from your comments that you need a condensate tray and drain line to take the water away. The real question is why was that now installed originally?

A ten year old AC is not a "spring chicken", but it is not really old either. I had a GE(now Trane) system that listed nearly 20 years. A quick check of the sheet metal around the blower and evaporator should show up any rust, and that is easily patched with the aluminum duct tape.

The real question is: does the unit cool the house adequately? So long as the compressor and evaporator is running properly, hang with it. Before replacing anything, get several, two or more, opinions and bids. Condensate drip is not a reason to replace your AC.

A new condensate drip pan, installed, should not be more than a couple hundred dollars.

Illegitimus non carborundum :mad:

Michael Perata
03-20-2004, 3:52 PM

Thanks all
-Michael
It is normal for condensate to form on the coils. My A/C pumps out about a quart an hour on really humid days.

You should have a condensate drain, probably PVC but maybe copper running to a sump outside your house. Check to see if it is plugged up. If it is, I just saved you $1,000, so buy me lunch. ;)

Arvin Brown
03-20-2004, 9:13 PM
I agree with Michael. Condensation is suppose to form on the coil. The coil is like a cold glass of water. What happends? Condensation forms on the outside. When warm air passes over the "cold" coil, the temperature of the air goes below the dew point of the air. This causes the condensation to fall out. Now, why is it staying in the unit. There is suppose to be a drain line to outside the house. Either this is not installed or it has become plugged. I would try to "snake" out the pipe. If that doesn't work - how about installing a new drain pipe. It does NOT sound like you need a new unit. I think you are being taken to the bank.

Michael Ballent
03-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Thank you all for your responses.... I have been watching this closely now and have observed the following:

The water is condensing on the coil (Normal)

The water is not really reaching the drip pan. The coils is slanted so that the water will go down into the drip pan, but as the water condenses they are dripping right off the coils/fins onto the floor... (bad)

For now we have placed a large dish right under the drips and have been taking the water out :mad:

Could it be that the coils are dirty and not letting the water down... if so how do I clean them? The water that is being collected in the pan has what looks like coffee grinds in it. Very strange.

Any other thoughts...

-Michael