PDA

View Full Version : where to purchase dust hoods

Russ Ambrose
03-16-2008, 10:04 PM
need to install/upgrade the dust ports/hoods on a couple pieces of equipment, but i haven't been able to find anything other than stuff with 4 inch ports (which are just too small). any idea where to get something bigger than 4 inch?

thanks

Jim O'Dell
03-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I've looked a little, but never found much either. Hopefully someone will know of a good source. But I bet it will come down to making your own. Maybe start with the 4" and cut it out to install a 6" adaptor on to it. There are some metal adpators at the Borgs that would probably work well. I took the factory Ridgid adaptor that was to 2 1/2" for the shop vac and cut it out and adapted to 6" for my 3612. Works pretty well. Could have been a little smoother on the inside to slope to the outlet pipe, but hopefully it won't be needed for ever (Cab saw, please, please, Oh Pulleeeeeezze!!!)
Most jointers have an access door with the 4" outlet that could be modified, or replaced with a home made unit. Several modifications on the forums for the lunchbox planers using HVAC components and plywood.
Maybe a list of what units you are trying to adapt for would get some specific answers for those units for you. Jim.

Jim Becker
03-17-2008, 9:04 AM
As Jim eludes to, many folks will re-purpose HVAC fittings to create dust hoods. And if you need something unique and can draw it out, a local HVAC supplier can likely make what you need for a reasonable fee and out of heavier material, too.

Greg Narozniak
03-17-2008, 11:53 AM
As Jim eludes to, many folks will re-purpose HVAC fittings to create dust hoods. And if you need something unique and can draw it out, a local HVAC supplier can likely make what you need for a reasonable fee and out of heavier material, too.

Jim is right on. The "Tin Knockers" could make what ever you would require. A lot of the Borg fittings do work. My Floor sweep is a 6" HVAC register that I have had great success with.

Russ Ambrose
03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
thanks for the input/ideas. if anybody else has more/better info to add, great. otherwise, i'll start trying to make my own and will undoubtedly return with the inevitable questions that go along with it.

Greg Peterson
03-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Currently I am reducing to four inches at the tool, but running five inch flex hose to the DC. On my HF single stage unit both the inlet and outlet are five inches. The bottle neck, if you will, is at the tool.

I am looking to change out the fittings to five inch fittings eventually. Just haven't found anything via wood working sources.