PDA

View Full Version : Fell down the green slope again

Tom Cowie
03-16-2008, 9:34 PM
Well the wife and I made it to the Chantilly show again this year but didn't make it to the industrial show at Fredericksburg. I wasn't too disappointed because I spent most of the $$ and probably didn't have enough left for gas.:D

I was very happy with the show this year although it was still quite small. I guess I am just accustom to the Sports show at the farm show complex in Pa. Now there's a big show. All in all if you have never been to one of these woodworking shows I would recommend it unless you need tools and equipment at a more industrial level.

Now for the Loot:

Festool:
CT-33 and Vac bags, Domino Plus and the domino assortment, RS2E sander and assorted paper, 2 quick clamps (I wanted to beat the April price increase)

Freud Traditional raised panel bit set

Really cool mallet, nail pulling pliers, more glue than I can use this year, and some heavy duty casters

Then we ate a really good meal at the Bonefish restaurant

I know you will find this hard too believe but my wife made me go this year :eek: What can I say I had a moment.

Tom

Pix will follow : I'm having fun trying the new stuff out .

Jim Becker
03-16-2008, 9:37 PM
Super shopping, Tom!!! And basking in the glow at a nice restaurant afterward was a great way to round out the day. Enjoy your new toyls!

Don Bullock
03-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Now, that sounds like my kind of day. Congratulations!

Bruce Wrenn
03-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Now, that sounds like my kind of day. Congratulations!Sounds more like my kind of a wife to me. Whose wife ever made them go to a woodworking show and SPEND money? Not mine for sure, but I still love her.

Bill Wyko
03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Mine has given up. She just walks into the shop, looks at the new tool and rolls her eyes and walks out. Congrats on the new loot. You're gonna absolutly love that Domino. I was using my all night.:)

Tim Malyszko
03-18-2008, 8:20 AM
Congrats on the green haul. I bought a 150/3 and CT 22 last week and on Sunday picked up the TS 55. Festool is so addicting!!!

Enjoy the new tools.

Michael Wildt
03-18-2008, 8:39 AM
Big congrats. Guess we're all tool junkies, he he.

I've seen the April Festool price increase mentioned more than once lately. Anyone got some concrete knowledge on that ? or is it 'just' a rumor.

I'm dreaming to get a shop vac that could serve dual purpose for both my handheld tools and my Bosch contractor table saw. I'm only doing hobby work and have limited space. The CT33 looks like it would fit the bill, or a CT22 with reusable filter bag.

Michael

Tim Malyszko
03-18-2008, 8:58 AM
Big congrats. Guess we're all tool junkies, he he.

I've seen the April Festool price increase mentioned more than once lately. Anyone got some concrete knowledge on that ? or is it 'just' a rumor.

I'm dreaming to get a shop vac that could serve dual purpose for both my handheld tools and my Bosch contractor table saw. I'm only doing hobby work and have limited space. The CT33 looks like it would fit the bill, or a CT22 with reusable filter bag.

Michael

Check out this link:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/info/festool-alert.htm

Also, my local Woodcraft confirmed it this weekend. They have seen quite a rush on Festool purchases in the last couple of weeks because of it.

J. Z. Guest
03-18-2008, 9:38 AM
Wow, that's a lot of Festool stuff. But I've noticed that nicer tools do make the work more enjoyable.

I've got this feeling that I think many of us have. I believe that Festool designs are thoroughly engineered, and probably the best in most classes. I have this nasty thought in the back of my head that I will end up getting some of their stuff some day. But for now, it is darned hard to justify.

I wonder if their prices in US dollars will go down when (if) the dollar gets stronger in the future? That would speak loads of Festool's company integrity.

Oddly, do you know what made me respect Festool? My Kreg K3 Master System. I bought it and wound up really loving the shop vac attachment for the stationary base. I thought that was fluff, but wound up swearing by it.

I believe Festool is most famous for two things: quality (along with price) & dust collection. I also give Festool props for having the guts to make tools that look very different from the norm if that is what works best. It is pure engineering, and they just let the chips fall where they may. (yuk yuk)

Meanwhile, most other power tool companies are still designing with only carpenters in mind, who probably dont' care as much for dust collection as we do.

Michael Wildt
03-18-2008, 9:51 AM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the link. Hmm, sure contains some increases. I wonder how much they will feel sales drop after April 1st since the tools already are quite expensive.

Saving $40 to $50 on the dust extractors is tempting.

Michael

Check out this link:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/info/festool-alert.htm

Also, my local Woodcraft confirmed it this weekend. They have seen quite a rush on Festool purchases in the last couple of weeks because of it.

Tomislav Biric
03-18-2008, 11:06 AM
In case anyone was wondering, I took about five minutes to load the McFeely's price list into a spreadsheet; remove the obvious duplicates (kits, etc.); and total the prices after 01April 2008.

$58,827.

Yowsa.

I am sure someone could come up with a more accurate number if they spent more time on it, but that's a pretty fair guess as to what it would cost to walk into a Festool Dealer and say, "One each, please."*

This isn't intended as an editorial comment - just something I find interesting.

~Tomislav

*BTW, if someone argues that the number is closer to $50k because, for example, you wouldn't buy both the standard and anti-static hoses, I am going to snicker at you.

Dick Sylvan
03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
That was quite a crock from McFeely's about Festool having to maintain quality and R&D. These price increases are all about the Euro and its runup against the dollar. If you are considering buying anything from Europe (or most of the rest of the world) order fast!!!