PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Recommendations for a 3520B

Tom Hamilton
03-16-2008, 8:35 PM
Greetings Fellow Turners:

The Capital Expenditure Committee approved the purchase of a 3520B this week and I'm in the process of selecting a vendor.

One thing that I could use some advice on is the selection of chucks. I've got two Talons that I use on my Delta Mini, one with regular jaws and one with the mini-jumbo (9" max) jaws.

I'm thinking that a Stronghold for the new 3520B and a set of the jumbo jaws would fix me up nicely. I'll use the two Talons on the 3520B also, just get new adapter for them.

My thinking is that on large pieces I might want the Stronghold, and certainly would like to have the capability to reverse chuck large pieces. And the Talons will work fine for many of the mid and smaller size bowls.

Have I got this figured out? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom, in Houston, getting excited about the new lathe!

John Peck
03-16-2008, 8:55 PM
Vicmarc 120 (the big one).

Thomas Canfield
03-16-2008, 9:50 PM
Tom,

There is something to be said for staying with the same brand to get maximum use of the different jaws. I found that using a 1 1/4 x 1" thread adapter works fairly well to use my Talon on the 3520B and still be able to use it on the Jet Mini, and not change out the thread insert in the chuck itself. A PSI thread adapter is less than $25 from Amazon and also gives flexibility to use other things such as sanding extensions and faceplates that you might have for your Delta Mini. The Jet adapter costs more but has the lock screws so that you can use it in reverse. Of course, the adapters have different hex size and none of the 1 1/4" hex seem to be the same.

Hilel Salomon
03-17-2008, 8:55 AM
Tom,

I have several sn2's, a bunch of strongholds and several vicmarc 120's. I like the latter two, but if you're looking for jaw compatibility, they won't do. The Strongholds won't take Talon jaws and the Vicmarc 120's won't take the Vicmarc 100's jaws. Bernie-I think- has used SN2 and Grizzly jaws on his Vicmarc 100. For sheer strength of hold the Strongholds are great, but overall, I'm extremely impressed with the Vicmarc 120 and its jaws. It's pricey and the Strongholds can be gotten at discount, so...
Luck, Hilel.

Jim Becker
03-17-2008, 8:58 AM
Your thinking is similar to mine...I use my Talon, which pre-dates the Stubby purchase, on the Stubby and am considering buying a Stronghold "just" for the largest pieces. Do note that you'll want to keep one of your Talons configured for the mini if you still have that machine as switching the insert out is not a trivial operation...it takes a lot longer to do it than just changing jaws due to the precision of the taper and the need to "jack" it out with a set screw.

Bruce McElhaney
03-17-2008, 9:01 AM
I use either a Stronghold or a Talon on my 3520, all depending on what size stock I'm turning. Plus I have a variety of jaws for them. I can recommend them heartily.

George Guadiane
03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I use either a Stronghold or a Talon on my 3520, all depending on what size stock I'm turning. Plus I have a variety of jaws for them. I can recommend them heartily.

What he said!

Robert McGowen
03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi Tom,

I think that you have hit the nail on the head. I would do just as you have posted. Good luck with the new lathe. Sounds like you are jumping all the way in. :):)

Scott Hubl
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
First:
CONGRATS on the pending GOLD purchase.

I just ordered up one myself last week, should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.
Check out ~ToolNut~ with your BEST Price, They BEAT Osolnik by over $120.00, I also had a few options ordered with mine.
Joe O. just blatently said if I could get it for that price I better go buy it from them. So I DID.:D

I have 8-9 chucks, another 3 if your counting Vacuum chucks.

I have Oneways and Novas with a variety of jaws.

Both are very good chucks.

Lee Valley recently had/has the NZ made Nova chucks on clearance and I knew I was planning on getting myself the GOLD 3520B so I grabbed a Nova TITON (Including jaws and woodworm screw) for the larger turning capacity that the 3520B offers over my current largest lathe a Jet 1442.( I have 6 lathes the 3520B will be the 7th.)

I like both chucks, I do like that the Nova chucks jaws are interchangable between chuck lines/sizes all except 1 jaw set.

Straight tenon/recess or dovetailed is a personal preference.

I don't mind either myself, guess i'm used to making either depending on the chuck i'm using for the task at hand.

Lee Valley still has some Nova chucks and accessories on "Discontinued Limited Stock"
That TITON is a BEAST! BIG.:D It should hold anything I throw at it.

Heres a link to Lee Valley,it was posted here a few weeks ago, have a look.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=58948&cat=1,44047

Reed Gray
03-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I have 2 of the Vicmarc 120s and 2 of the smaller ones. They work fine. I did get a set of the 4 inch jaws for one of the 120s for when the Robust gets here (about a month).
robo hippy

Chris Barnett
03-18-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't put too much confidence in TOOLNUT. I called them for a price on a 3520B 18 inch extension; they never called back. Guess I will try someone else. Would be nice if Amazon had them like they have the 3520B. Wonder if TOOLNUT is a real place with real history?
Oh, your question :o: you can still get the Supernova2 and Titan from LeeValley for closeout prices.

Scott Hubl
03-18-2008, 3:34 AM
From what I have been told ToolNut is a real brick and motor store based in NY.
Several have said they shop and buy tools in that store and carry a huge amount of quality tools.

My dealing with them went pretty darn smooth, I was calling and getting prices back and forth from 5 vendors, It came down to Osolnik and ToolNut , I told ToolNut Joe Osolniks price and they beat it by over $120.00, I called Joe back he said if I could get it for the price I told him, he said I better go get it from them, I told Joe if he'd match it I'd go ahead and order it from him, he couldnt.

I placed my order with TooNut it was painless and effortless.
They knew about the accessories I wanted and placed my order correctly.
They were very helpful and freindly.

My 3520B, 18" bed with extension post, 2" spindle extension, Remote On/Off switch, RH Tool Rest, Dust port assembly and 2 DVD's should be here in the next day or so.:D

I heard nothing but good things about ToolNut, sorry you had a problem.
Maybe a call back with a freindly reminder might help.

Don Eddard
03-18-2008, 5:08 AM
Congrats on the upcoming new Mustard purchase. You've gotten good chuck advice. I'd rather spend the extra $120 and help support a family that has done a lot to advance the art of woodturning over the years. Google Rude Osolnik if you haven't already.

Scott Hubl
03-18-2008, 5:41 AM
I know who Rude is.
And I have NO qualms about saving $120.00 either.

Joe had his choice to not just beat it but at least match the price. He declined too. His Loss of a sale.

Do you buy only Fords, afterall look at what Henry Ford did for the auto industry.:rolleyes:

Maybe IF a LOCAL to me place could have come within reason I would have bought locally but they could not ,costing about $360.00 more. Osolnik Machinery is not local to me and had the same chance to make a sale as anyone else did, it came down to price.

If you have money to burn I guess you don't need to shop around, I don't, therefore I do.:D

Sean Ackerman NY
03-20-2008, 9:24 AM
I don't put too much confidence in TOOLNUT. I called them for a price on a 3520B 18 inch extension; they never called back. Guess I will try someone else. Would be nice if Amazon had them like they have the 3520B. Wonder if TOOLNUT is a real place with real history?
Oh, your question :o: you can still get the Supernova2 and Titan from LeeValley for closeout prices.

Chris, this is Sean from The Tool Nut. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened. I don't want to make any excuses but I do want to extend an "olive branch" if you will. You should find a quote in your PM's / email for a 3520b with 18" extension. Again, very sorry that your phone call got lost in the mix. I'll be sure to make it right by you.

Also, I'd like to introduce myself to everyone. We get a lot of phone calls from very informed woodworker's originating from this forum. You're a great bunch of guys to deal with, and we truly appreciate your business. Any questions or concerns feel free to contact me, preferably by email (not PM's) or toll free. Thanks guys! Looking forward to becoming part of the community. I'm sure I'll be able to learn a ton myself!

Scott Hubl
03-20-2008, 9:37 AM
Welcome Sean,

I worked with you and Dave for my recent 3520B and accessories purchase, it all just arrived yesterday.

I just wanted to say THANKS to both you and Dave.

I can Highly recommend anyone getting their BEST price then calling ToolNut. My transaction went flawlessly.

I am NOT affiliated with them at all, I am a very satisfied customer though.

Chris Barnett
03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks, I am always concerned about company being a real place instead of just a PO address [and now maybe only 1's and 0's on the web:rolleyes:]...will be calling them back. Have no problem putting my money into a real and family owned business if they will take my money :D. I look at the sponsors here when I am ready to buy to see if they might have what I need. Has usually worked but need to buy from cheapest. Hope this exchange did not infringe on the rules here....I certainly want to follow them all. Speaking of sponsors....need to check out the WWII:).

Sean Ackerman NY
03-24-2008, 2:00 PM
Chris, no worries. We're as family owned as it gets. Sitting side by side with my Father (started the company almost 15 years ago now!) right now as I type.

Brodie Brickey
03-24-2008, 6:41 PM
I have the Stronghold for my PM3520. I've been very happy with it. It is a large chuck and holds everything I've asked it too.

You may want to skip on the Jumbo Jaws. I have them, and except for cleaning the bottom of a foot they're pretty useless.

I would recommend picking up the #3 & #4 jaws instead. This will give you very large tenons to turn from. To finish the bottom of a bowl, consider Bill Grumbine's site with the "Bowl Turning Jig". Much more secure.

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/bowljig.html

Paul Gallian
03-24-2008, 11:38 PM
I am jealous of all of the NEW 3520b owners.
I purchased mine on Jan. 28, 2008 and have had nothing but trouble with it running -- Replaced inverter, replace motor, programmed inverter and with the service tech tried many things -- hoping for a new lathe from WMH -- waiting and waiting and waiting.. may be I will find out tomorrow.

Paul with the lemon powermatic lathe