PDA

View Full Version : HELP - New Table Saw setup...

Erech Myers
03-16-2008, 7:54 PM
I'm setting up a new Jet ProShop with cast iron wings. I just added the cast iron wings and both wings seem to be about 0.025 inches high on the outside. I put my 48" level across the width of the table and I can put about 4 pages of the User Guide (thick paper) underneath the middle of the level. The 4 sheets measured about 0.025 inches.

- Is this too much or is it small enough to ignore?:confused:
- Is this fixable? If so, how? These are cast iron, so it is not like I can just bend them down a little. And I can't use shims (or can I?) because it would cause a gap.

Any advice or resources you can point me to would be helpful. I don't want to put the fence on until I know the table is flat enough, so I'm kinda of stuck for now.

Thanks!

Brian Penning
03-16-2008, 8:00 PM
I'd use some brass shim stock. You'll likely find you won't need much at all and won't make a noticeable gap. Obviously you'll apply it near the top edge of the wing connections.

Erech Myers
03-16-2008, 8:15 PM
I'd use some brass shim stock. You'll likely find you won't need much at all and won't make a noticeable gap. Obviously you'll apply it near the top edge of the wing connections.

Thanks Brian. Those shims will cause a small gap. Do I just fill the gap with wax when I wax and buff the table top? Or is there something else I could use? Actually, if the brass shims go the length of the table top, and I level them with the table top, I would not need filler. I am not familiar with brass shim stock. Where do I get it? Home Depot?

Thanks!

Bruce Pennell
03-16-2008, 8:20 PM
Cut up a coke can aluminum shims work well. Or the old feeler gauge collecting dust works well for shims.

Brian Penning
03-16-2008, 8:26 PM
On my previous saw I just put pieces of shim where the bolts tighten. The "gap" was really insignificant to me. Try it and see for yourself.
I think I've seen brass shim stock up here in a couple of the big box stores. It's sold in rolls of different thickness's.
The aluminum can could work -maybe too thick?

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2008, 8:35 PM
If you don't like the idea of using shims, you really only have two options. Attack the edges of the wings with a file and get them to lay flat that way or contact the vendor and see if they would consider this enough of a flaw to replace (doubtful)....

YM

Erech Myers
03-16-2008, 8:46 PM
Thanks guys. I think I will try the coke can idea since I have those sitting around. If it is too thick, I'll find some brass shims tomorrow.

Thanks!

Paul Fitzgerald
03-16-2008, 9:34 PM
I just bought a new TS this past Wednesday and had the same problem with one of the cast iron wings.

I found a tip here on SMC (I think it was from Glenn Bradley) for using foil tape from the HVAC dept. at the Borg.

I took a piece long enough to span the entire length of the seam between the table and wing and applied it above the screws. Next, i used a razor to trim the foil tape flush. After attaching the wing and trimming the tape flush again (just in case), I found that it was just about as level as I could hope for.

Hope this helps!

Paul

Erech Myers
03-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Brian, you were correct. The coke can was too thick. But I actually did find a household product that worked! Tinfoil! One side need tinfoil two pieces thick and the other side needed just one piece thick.

In case anyone cares, I think it would take about 5 - 8 pieces of tinfoil to equal the thickness of the coke can. Then again, it would depend on the thickness of the foil you use.

Paul, I actually finished up before I read your post, but that is a great idea. The tinfoil worked great, but the foil tape would have made it even easier to keep it in place.

Thanks everyone!