PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer Fence(Ruff Shape)

Carroll Courtney
03-16-2008, 7:33 PM
Guys,spent this weekend cleaning up the shop and removing alittle surface rust from some of the tools.I started to try and clean my fence system and its beyond cleaning.What I was wondering,has anyone strip down their rail system to the metal and primer and paint it with success?On mine,the old paint is chip off(very little paint left) and lots of powder rust.It is about 15yrs old so maybe its time.Just checking before I spent time on something that may not work!!Thanks Carroll

Jim Heffner
03-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Carroll. why not disassemble that fence and de-rust it, in a electrolysis tank? If, you haven't done this type thing ....it is real easy to do and produces good results in a short time. I found out about it on owwm.com
and tried it...now I'm hooked on de-rusting steel parts the easy way.
Give it a try.....Jim Heffner

Bruce Wrenn
03-17-2008, 10:25 PM
For a electrolisis tank, you could use a piece of 4" PVC stood vertically with a cap on the bottom. But since you are going to remove the paint anyway, why not use some of the citrus stripper, wash with water, and then sand with a pad sander? When I built my Bies clones, I sanded the surface rust and mill scale off with pad sander. Wiped it down with naptha, or paint thinner. Masked off the areas that didn't need paint, primed and finish coated the fence. I used the $0.97 a can paint from Wal-Mart. It dries to the touch in fifteen minutes or less. Takes a couple of days to harden completely, but so does all other paints.