PDA

View Full Version : Testing a phase converter

Dave Bureau
03-16-2008, 7:26 PM
I'm looking to buy a phase converter. The guy can wire it to single phase input but has nothing to run off the output side. how do i test the output side? do I use a regular voltage meter?
Dave

Carroll Courtney
03-16-2008, 7:54 PM
Dave,go to www.practicalmachinist.com (http://www.practicalmachinist.com) You will fine everything about RPC's.I built mine off of this web site.Try to fine posting from Bruce Norton,he help me build mine.Not in person but via emails.Also chek out www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com) (I think) lots of info Good Luck Carroll

Bernhard Lampert
03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Assuming it is single phase 220v to 3 phase 220: you can check the voltage. Each of the signle phase incoming legs should be 110V to ground and 220V across. Any incoming leg vs manufacture leg may be higher (~ 270v) without any load attached. Manufactured leg to ground may also show much higher voltage (~150V).

PS '110' and '220' are nominal, there may be some variation (+/-8% is ok).
Also make sure that the manufactured leg is NOT connected to any feed for electronis and low volatge systems, the high floating voltage on startup can damage it.

Cheers,
Bernhard

CPeter James
03-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Is it a static or rotary converter? a static converter needs to be sized to the equipment that you are going to use it on. A rotary converter can run more that one machine as long as they are within the load limits.

CPeter

Dave Bureau
03-17-2008, 1:38 PM
Its a rotory with a 10 hp motor on it
Dave

CPeter James
03-17-2008, 3:00 PM
Does it have 120 volts legs to ground and 208 volts leg to leg? If so you could use a resistance load like a portable heater to test for output. You can test each leg separately.

CPeter

Dave Bureau
03-17-2008, 3:04 PM
I havent seen it yet. can i test each leg with a voltage meter?

CPeter James
03-17-2008, 7:35 PM
You shoulb be able to. both leg to leg and leg to ground.

CPeter

Rick Christopherson
03-17-2008, 8:25 PM
Measuring phase to ground on a phase converter tells you nothing, so don't bother. Doing so is just going to confuse you.

You can however, measure the three phase-to-phase voltages, and they should be close to 240 volts. The closer the generated leg is to 240 between the other two phases, the better balanced the converter is.