PDA

View Full Version : what a week!

Mark Singer
03-19-2004, 9:55 PM
Oh, What a week! It was hard and stressful....but, I think it went ok...:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
03-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Oh, What a week! It was hard and stressful....but, I think it went ok...:rolleyes:

Ummmmmm, Mark...You think maybe you may have left out a paragraph or four?! :rolleyes: Come on...Don't leave us hangin'! Details, man. We NEED details! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2004, 9:55 AM
Ummmmmm, Mark...You think maybe you may have left out a paragraph or four?! :rolleyes: Come on...Don't leave us hangin'! Details, man. We NEED details! :cool:

Mornin' John....

I think you left Mark <b><i>Speechless.</i></b> :D

Mark Singer
03-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Guys,
That was about all I could say yesterday! I am recovering...I have way too much work! One assistant was visiting her brother in India. I am building 2 big restaurants and several custom homes....I shouln't complain...it just doesn't feel anything like semi retirement! Which is where I am ...or supposed to be...its not about money...its about bitting and having trouble chewing...must be the dentures:D

Glenn Clabo
03-20-2004, 10:57 AM
I doubt that you could be "semi" anything Mark. I have a funny feeling you go full speed all the time.

Tyler Howell
03-20-2004, 11:29 AM
I second the sucky week statement!Thank God for the shop The 24oz framing hammer got a real work out today.We are doing the proverbial Re-org in my business. Haven’t hired anyone in 4 years and now the powers to be are surprised that we are so short handed. 20 of my people are retiring this year.I met that guy Less! “We are going to be doing more with Less”. And he is one mean*&++@1#$ son of a%^^8* .:(Make something lasting and beautiful folks. It helps make this grind worth while.;)

John Miliunas
03-21-2004, 12:50 AM
and several custom homes....

Don't know Mark; Can't see you doing much of anything which isn't custom! Hope you can get to spend some relaxing time in your shop soon! :cool:

Jim Becker
03-21-2004, 11:37 AM
II met that guy Less! “We are going to be doing more with Less”. And he is one mean*&++@1#$ son of a%^^8* .

This is a big problem in business today...everyone is bending over for Wall Street to greatly reduce expenses while at the same time they get deeper and deeper into the hole relative to actually getting work done efficiently and without killing their employees. At some point, the bubble is going to burst. Excessive overtime isn't just a financial expense...it's a health risk.

Speaking of health risks...have mercy on our poor eyes! I had to put my reading glasses on to read your post...and I'm on a 19" screen.:rolleyes:

Mark Singer
03-22-2004, 9:09 AM
Jim,
Last week felt like a health risk! I am going easier this week if I can help it!
Mark

Glenn Clabo
03-22-2004, 9:24 AM
Jim,
It isn't just Wall Street. I work for the Navy, a non profit organization, and I have been on the cell...and answering emails...all weekend. We can do more less theory is killing everyone. My wife is so worried about my health (she's a nurse btw) she actually threatened to call our Commander In Chief!

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 9:31 AM
It isn't just Wall Street. I work for the Navy, a non profit organization, and I have been on the cell...and answering emails...all weekend. We can do more less theory is killing everyone. My wife is so worried about my health (she's a nurse btw) she actually threatened to call our Commander In Chief!

Without going over the line on this, I'll only say that it's even more of a shame that it's this way for folks in the military. You deserve better.

Glenn Clabo
03-22-2004, 9:42 AM
Jim...
Just to be clear...I'm not "in" the military...I support them. I've been both and believe me...working from home over the weekend is no big deal in comparison.

John Miliunas
03-22-2004, 9:45 AM
OK, so is it just me or am I seeing a pattern here? What I mean is, it seems that folks with some of the highest responsibility and critical jobs are being stressed to the point of sick. I'm not sure I'd feel real "safe" in a house designed by anyone being pushed to the point of exhaustion. Is our Country really being properly "protected" if its front line staff are stressed out and trying to go in 10 different directions at once? Can we really afford airport staff to be cut to bare minimums, just to "save a buck"? Doctors working 20-hour shifts. And these are just some of the high-profile careers. We can apply the same to many other walks of life. I just wonder where/when it's going to end! :confused: :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 9:58 AM
John, It wouldn't be hard if we didn't care. I've got people that will work themselves to the bone to provide the best possible level of service inspite of that new employee Less.
"No opinions on the News", and some of this has been brewing for a while. But the biggest impact has been during the current administration:eek:. OOPS! Fell of the soap box. :p Have a great week and play safe.

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Glad too see you back. With the lack of your posting I was hoping everything was OK.

Glenn Clabo
03-22-2004, 10:25 AM
I've been doing this for 33 years...I've dealt with all kinds of issues...from funding to philosophy. I have never felt like this before. We are simply all stretched WAY too thin... The rubber band is about to break somewhere and that's one of the reasons we are all working so hard. We are in a very dangerous world right now.

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 10:50 AM
I've been doing this for 33 years...I've dealt with all kinds of issues...from funding to philosopy. I have never felt like this before. We are simply all stretched WAY too thin... The rubber band is about to break somewhere and that's one of the reasons we are all working so hard. We are in a very dangerous world right now.

Hang in there Glenn, Let's stick together buddy. We can make it with a team effort. And make some saw dust it always helps me.;)

Chris Padilla
03-22-2004, 8:17 PM
While I certainly have times of 'lottsa work' I don't, overall, feel I am worked to the bone in the least. In fact, I wish my company would have more flexibility with working hours to allow a 3-day weekend. I'd gladly work 10 hour days (wait, don't I do that already??).

When I used to work at NASA (Ames Research Center here in Mountain View, CA), they had a deal where you got a 3-day weekend every other weekend...it was awesome. Work 8 9 hour days and 1 8 hour day and take every other Friday off.

Jason Roehl
03-23-2004, 8:04 AM
For me, it's simple. I refuse to be stressed (for the most part). Granted, I'm not in a high-profile career, but if I don't please my customers, my family doesn't eat. Once my foot's in the door at home in the evening, work is OVER for the day, like taking off an overweight toolbelt, I'm not going to carry it around with me while I'm at home, too. You gotta just do what you can do, do it with a positive attitude, and don't worry about what you can't do right now. Oh, yeah, and don't let the idiots turn you into one, too. :D

Tyler Howell
03-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Once my foot's in the door at home in the evening, work is OVER for the day, like taking off an overweight toolbelt, I'm not going to carry it around with me while I'm at home, too. You gotta just do what you can do, do it with a positive attitude, and don't worry about what you can't do right now. Oh, yeah, and don't let the idiots turn you into one, too.

Thanks Jason. That would sure be nice to unload that belt. It's just that I'm required to carry it all day, weekends, and nights. Not whining too much here, it's a fascinating career, I chose it, and it pays for all the toys. During flooding of one of my airports I slept with my phone and pager. I tell my employees to get use to change. It will be hitting us faster and on a grander scale in the months to come.

Dennis Peacock
03-23-2004, 11:02 AM
It's times like these that I really get frustrated.....being a moderator here forces me to restrict what I can say.....so let's just say....there are a lot of places where each employee is worked to death and let's just say that I have suffered a heart attack at the age of 37 because of it.....

Off Soapbox before I get in trouble.