PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Dog

Mark Carlson
03-16-2008, 6:20 PM
Anyone else use one of these to clean their shops? I got an Irobot dirtdog about a month ago. The dirtdog is the shop version of the roomba. Its pretty basic and doesn't have a vacuum like the inside version. It uses a rotating brush that sweep dust, dirt, leaves, bolts, etc into a bin in the back. When I'm done for the day I just hit the button and leave. The next day I empty it and recharge it. It ran for about 30 minutes before I dumped the contents (see photo). It gets under everything and does a much better job than I ever did sweeping or vacuuming.

I'm very happy so far and will probably get the indoor version.

~mark

Rob Wright
03-16-2008, 7:26 PM
Mark - looks like it works well. We bought the home version for my sister for Christmas. She really likes it, but sometimes she has to go searching for it after the battery dies. I would like to get the dirt-dog for my shop/garage - but I am afraid that it would stop under the wife's car and she would just pull out one morning and break it!

-I would love to have that in my basement right now. The basement finishing is creating quite a mess and boy am I HEARING ABOUT IT on a daily basis from my wife!

- Rob

Peter Quinn
03-16-2008, 7:50 PM
I like how it seems to match the powermatic in the back ground!:D:D:D

Jim Dunn
03-16-2008, 7:51 PM
Mark what's the over all height of that thing? Looks like something I'd like to invest in for my shop. Seems like I spend most of my time cleaning up as my shop is in the basement. Have to keep LOML happy.

RickT Harding
03-16-2008, 7:59 PM
I have the indoor models and have the dirt dog on my wishlist. The roomba and the scooba work well and while my wife was initially weary of the things, she now talks about "deploying the robot army". :D

Jim Becker
03-16-2008, 9:35 PM
We're thinking about getting this version for our kitchen and eating/bird area. Really. Brick floor. Beat the you-know-what out of our last Roomba... We're hoping this version will hold up better on that surface, picking up the bird debris (they take great delight in throwing stuff on the floor) and kid debris. A new "regular" Roomba is likely for the floors in the addition as well as our great room.

Mark Carlson
03-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Mark what's the over all height of that thing? Looks like something I'd like to invest in for my shop. Seems like I spend most of my time cleaning up as my shop is in the basement. Have to keep LOML happy.

Jim,

Its ~3in tall and 13 wide. Its designed to go under couches. I have to admit I use it inside too. We have hardwood floors throughout and area rugs. What its really good at is going under beds and other furniture that my cats like to sleep under. The dust bin ends up looking like a big fur ball.

~mark

Larry Fox
03-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Neat idea but its lifespan would be measured in minutes in my house as things that are on the floor and move under their own power drive the dog crazy. We have a graveyard of RC cars that the kids had before he got to them.

Don Dean
03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
I have had mine about a year and I love It. Not only cleans the floor of saw dust but also will pick up those stray screws laying around. At the end of the day I let "Rover" clean up so I start with a clean floor in the morning. Thinking about getting the self charging system where "Rover" recharges itself then starts cleaning again. Bow Wow!

Phil B
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Got one, died about 2 weeks ago, gear train on drive wheel(s) all stripped out. Worked okay when it did work but only lasted about 4 months, not a shop-ready type of product even if all you do is expect it to extreemly light cleaning. Mine only lasted about 4 months.

Adam Cavaliere
03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
We have the in house one and it seems the battery needs to be replaced. Have only had it for about a year and had it do cleanings twice a week. I would have expected the battery to last longer than that...

Chris Schumann
12-08-2008, 5:43 PM
I got an Irobot dirtdog about a month ago.
How has it held up, Mark?

Eric DeSilva
12-08-2008, 5:46 PM
Endlessly entertaining... I spent a half hour trying to figure out what kind of algorithm it was using.

I use one in my shop, but one thing it doesn't like is electrical cords on the floor. I've got a lot of cords on the floor...

David DeCristoforo
12-08-2008, 6:16 PM
Do they make a "dirt rhinoceros"? I don't think the "dog" is going to get very far in my shop....

Mark Carlson
12-08-2008, 6:34 PM
Still working fine. I use it about every other week in the shop. Its also handy inside the house because it will go under the beds and get all the cat hair.

I found it doesn't like carpet fringe or cords. The wheels and sensors also require periodic cleaning. I tend to do that about 1 a month.

~mark

Jim Becker
12-08-2008, 9:40 PM
We're a Roomba house. I can't say that the indoor version has much of a vacuum either, but it's a god-send for our 2400+ square feet of wood and brick floors just to keep the normal dirt and dust up. (It's the ONLY way we can get under the king bed in the master suite...LOL)

We actually thought about the "shop" version for the kitchen as it potentially might hold up better on the uneven brick floor. 'Glad yours is working out. Definitely a "kewel tool"!

Joe Von Kaenel
12-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Mark,

I have one and let it run around the shop cleaning while I work. Once in a while it gets stuck on something but does a great job.
We have the scooba that scrubs floors which works well. I just ordered a Roomba for my wife for Christmas.

Joe

Don Bullock
12-09-2008, 2:43 PM
Amazon has them listed at 40% off right now. :D It's tempting but I'll have to wait.:( I've spent too much this month already.:eek: