PDA

View Full Version : Moving a cabinet saw Part 2

Mike Gabbay
03-16-2008, 6:14 PM
A few weeks ago I posted a question about ideas on moving a cabinet saw into a basement shop. I got some good feedback.

I'm in the final purchase decision for my saw. So far it's looking good for the General 650. In talking with the General rep at the local Wood Working show, He suggested removing the wings and motor and then using a pair of 2x6's laid flat the length of the stairs and wrapped in a blanket to protect the finsh, to then lay it on it's back and slide it down. I need to go down 13 interior steps.

Just curious, has anyone tried this method? How successful and safe is it. It will be a 2 - 3 person job I'm sure.

Thanks for the feedback.....

Peter Quinn
03-16-2008, 6:35 PM
I did something similar when I moved my PM 66 into the basement. It came on a pallet with a crate built around and over the machine. I opened the crate, removed the extension wings reassembled the crate with screws, left the motor on the machine. I rented a refridgerator mover that looked like an over grown hand truck with wheels both on the ground and near the handles so it could be tipped over and rolled in the horrizontal position. It had long extensions at the base for moving pallets.

We strapped the saw to this device, made a little ramp to get over the bilco head, then put 2X8's going down the stairs. We were able to lay the whole assemble over, went down base first, two guys on the bottom end, one at the top and VERY slowly rolled it down the 2x8's. We rolled it into place, stood it up, dissassembled the crate and slid it right on to a mobile base. No damage to the machine, the stairs or the help.

It went so smooth we had time to do considerable damage to a case of beer afterwards. No playing with the machine that first day for me! Well worth the $35 rental if you have access to one.

Marcus Isaacson
03-16-2008, 6:36 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. We got a 500lb wood burning stove down the stairs like this. Also attached a rope to it and a pulley setup in the doorway to help with lowering it down easier.

Bruce Pennell
03-16-2008, 7:41 PM
Mike my appliance hand truck has a rubber belt and 2 rollers mounted on both sides at the bottom for taking heavy stuff down or up steps. They work very well. I've moved lots of heavy freezers, refrig., and other restaurant equipment over the years. Last week I picked up a Shop Fox 5 hp cabinet saw w/ ext. table and was able to load it on my trailer by myself (get at least two friends I wasn't that smart). Make sure your strap around your saw is a tight as you can get it, so it can't move on the dolly. With two people below and one on top handling the dolly it might be better than using runners. It amazing how fast 500 -600 lbs can get away from you. I was glad I had a 15,000 lb forklift when I got home much easier to unload (I was tired). I have used the same method for moving my large gun safe also (about 500 lbs). Can you get a truck with a winch to help lower it? Remember slow and controlled. Good Luck and enjoy the new toy. Bru

Mike Gabbay
03-16-2008, 8:03 PM
Bruce - I used an appliance dolly for my 17" bandsaw. It weighed in around 280#s. My nephew and I did it. I was on the receiving end. :eek: It worked but I look back and realize how lucky that it did not get away. Unfortunately, a truck and wrench can't be used. These are interior steps.

Peter - with the appliance dolly on the 2x8's did it slide too fast? My thought was to create enough friction to keep it a controled slide.

Marcus - I was also thinking of a pully or come-along to help control the slide.

Wade Lippman
03-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Having just moved a Grizzly to my basement, I am an expert on this. (well, slightly...)
I removed the table. Thought about removing the motor, but that seemed like too much work.
Turns out even the table might have been overkill. It moved much easier than I expected; my son and I (on a two wheel cart) could easily have handled more weight.

Steve Mellott
03-17-2008, 9:39 AM
Mike:

I removed the wings on a Delta table saw and then tied the saw to a large scrap piece of Lexan. We drilled several holes in the Lexan so the rope could be secured. We then slid the whole asssembly down the stairs (without taking the motor off). One person on the bottom of the saw pushing up and one person at the top of the stairs holding a rope that was connected to the saw. It worked reasonably well.

Steve

Jim Becker
03-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Removing the table should always be a last resort...many are shimmed to insure that there is accurate cutting when beveled. The shims look like washers, but they are not washers. If the top must come off, then one must be extremely careful to relocate any shims to exactly the same position they came off.

Eric DeSilva
03-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I did what Bruce did--used an appliance dolly with the fan-belt looking things so slow it down step to step. Took two people to move a unisaw with the extension wings off (but table on). Not hard at all. I did about 13 exterior concrete steps.

Chris Yarish
03-17-2008, 1:22 PM
I second (or third) the dolly method.
I took TS down with a friend...one of us holding the dolly handle, the other at the bottom stabilizing the saw and easing it down the steps.

Be sure you strap the saw to the dolly though.

I just dread the move when I have to take it back up. I will use a dolly then as well....but probably get a bigger friend.

Sam Yerardi
03-17-2008, 1:29 PM
There is always having a professional mover move it from the top of the stairs to the bottom. Not sure what they would charge but it might be worth checking into and saving a lot of work. If they damage it they pay for it.