PDA

View Full Version : Alumin ok with my good miter saw blades

jason lambert
03-16-2008, 6:07 PM
My fathor is being a pain and wants to cut som folding doors which have some alumin side posts in them with my good 12" dewalt finishing blade the one that cost about $130. I would perfer he didn't but he thinks I am being a jerk and redulicus not letting him. Will this hurt the blade at all if I let him? It is a carbide tooth blade so I din't think it will I just save that blade for special jobs thought and want to make sure.

Dale Lesak
03-16-2008, 6:58 PM
Have him buy you a blade for the saw and let him cut what ever he wants. It's your 130.00 not his. I cut aluminum all the time but use my junk blades not my forrests. Can you get a cheap 10" that will fit you saw? Dale

Rick Lizek
03-16-2008, 7:08 PM
As a Metalsmith I've been cutting non-ferrous for years on my table saw and miter. I don't use junk blades or dull blades. A 60 tooth negative hook is designed for this and can be gotten for around $60. It's no worse than cutting most hardwoods so let him buy a negative hook blade if it concerns you that much.

Bruce Page
03-16-2008, 7:43 PM
I wouldn't allow it with my good blades.

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2008, 7:48 PM
I'm with Dale. Let him (or whomever) pay for the blade. Then cut away. If you want to cut metals with your blade...fine. I am completely aware of the fact that "it can be done" and that "people do it all the time" so this is not about if you can or can not. It's about if you want to. It does not sound like you really want to....

YM

jason lambert
03-16-2008, 7:59 PM
That is the point he will not buy a blade he is to cheap that is why he uses my stuff and as in the past if he wrecks it he pretty much says oh well and tells me it still works fine so what if the cut is now a little ruff just sand it or something like that. Oh well I will go look for another blade or see if I can pick up something cheap to keep the piece.

scott spencer
03-16-2008, 8:14 PM
You need a bargain basement junk blade for such tasks. Spending $15-$20 to save your good blade is a good investment in the long run.....it doesn't seem right, but does seem to be your plight right now.

Cheapest I could find is a Denali (http://www.amazon.com/Denali-Laser-Industrial-12-Inch-Blade/dp/B000NXHTRG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205712651&sr=1-8)from Amazon for $26 shipped. Check Ebay, Big Lots, Mr. 2nds, Ollie's, Homier, Cummins, etc.

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2008, 8:27 PM
"That is the point he will not buy a blade he is to cheap that is why he uses my stuff and as in the past if he wrecks it etc..."

Well this is not "Dear Abby" but you know what she would say....

If you don't want to "go there", get an "el cheapo" blade. It's tough when friends and family members put you in a position like that....

YM

Mike Cutler
03-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Jason

My DeWalt Mitersaw was purchased to cut aluminum, specifically shower enclosure parts. The 80t blade that came with it worked excellent on the aluminum, and still works good on wood. I would just find the cheapest finish blade you can for your saw.
It's sucks that it's your dad, but what can you do.:(.

There is one negative associated with cutting aluminum on a miter saw that hasn't been discussed. It creates a very fine aluminum powder that acts as a slight abrasive in all of the moving parts. It also gets airborne. Nasty stuff.
I fab'd up a ZCI for the fence when I cut the aluminum. It vibrates and it's loud.

PS

For general info, a miter saw can be fitted with a wet/dry tile blade,and tile can be cut very well with it. Of course all of that waste material has to be cleaned out of the saw. ;)

Joseph N. Myers
03-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Jason,

I don't know if it will work for your situation but I cut aluminum all the time with a circular saw with a regular carbine tip blade. Never any problem and doesn't seem to hurt the blade in any way.

Regards, Joe

Scott Whiting
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I have used my good 4+1 mitre blade to cut a threshold. If I was going to do any amount of aluminum cutting I would get the proper 100t negative hook blade even though it is in the same $130 price range as my good mitre blade and run the proper lubricant. It sounds like your dad's project has wood in the same cut so a regular mitre blade may be the best choice. Unless I was doing the cutting I would most likely toss the OEM 60t blade back on.