PDA

View Full Version : First Pics of the New Saw

Dean Baumgartner
03-19-2004, 8:20 PM
Well the delivery company was right on for delivery time. They said between 10:00 and 1:00 and the guy got here at 11:15. Lift gate truck and the driver helped me get it from the road into the shop.

Finish on the top is great, the top and the wings are dead flat as far as I can tell with my level.

After I got the box off (first pic) I went to get it off the pallet but it was bolted down. That's one heavy saw to lay down and even heavier to stand up but I managed all on my own.

The next discovery was that this saw is about 2.5" shorter than my old saw. Wouldn't be a problem except that my outfeed and infeed tables are all sized for the old saw and it's a better height for me. So lay the saw down again and back up again. Pic 2 is the saw on the riser to bring it up to match the tables.

Pic 3 is with the Vega fence mounted. The only problem is that the extension table I had for the old saw is too wide for the new one. I was thinking of building a new extension table with the router insert closer to the end and enclosed for better dust collection. So any ideas on a good design for an enclosed router table combined with a saw extension would be greatly appreciated.

Dean

Dick Parr
03-19-2004, 8:32 PM
Congratulations Dean!

Jim Becker
03-19-2004, 8:52 PM
That's a very nice machine, Dean! I had the opportunity to fondle one at a couple of the shows and they did a great job on it. Nice and heavy, built like a tank and good finishes. Enjoy!

Kent Cori
03-19-2004, 9:35 PM
Looks great Dean. Give us an update once you get it into real action.

John Miliunas
03-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey Dean...Wow! Deja vu. That thing looks awful familiar! No, seriously. I think I have a C-clamp, looks just like the one you have on the floor there! :D I've found it to be very useful, but just make sure you keep tabs on it, lest you forget where you put it for the next time you need it. On the bright side, the saw won't be quite as hard to misplace! :D Yup, she's a beaut', alright! Yes, it's heavy duty, fer shore. Definitely want to get your reaction(s) after the first time you fire it up! Congrats, BIG time!!! Me thinks you'll be happy with it. Have phun! :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
03-19-2004, 10:49 PM
That's a very nice machine, Dean! I had the opportunity to fondle one at a couple of the shows and they did a great job on it. Nice and heavy, built like a tank and good finishes. Enjoy!
Heavy doesn't even begin to describe it. It was all the truck drive and I could get it from the road to the shop over the gravel driveway.

Tomorrow I need to get power run over to it then I can make some sawdust with it. :D

Larry Browning
03-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Dean,
I am picking up a Griz 1023SL tomorrow we can compare notes.

Dean Baumgartner
03-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Dean,
I am picking up a Griz 1023SL tomorrow we can compare notes.

Congratulations Larry. The Griz was definately on my short list to choose from and I'd like to hear what you think about it. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to fill mine up with electrons and give it a try.

If it's near as heavy as the Bridgewood was I hope you've got a strong back.

Brian Hale
03-20-2004, 5:56 AM
Hey, Thats my saw!

Well, not yet but soon. I've been debating between the Bridgewood and Grizzly and i think it's going to be the Bridgewood. Besides being 2 hours closer to where i live, I like the the way the trunions connect to the cabinet with 4 bolts versus 2 for the other guys.

Please let us know what you think of that beauty. Details Details Details

Congrats

Brian :)

Tyler Howell
03-20-2004, 8:25 AM
Congrats Dean,
We shared some words about these and the votes aren't all in for me. I'm going to put some finger prints on John's in a couple of weeks and hopefully they will have them at the Up coming WW Show in St Paul.
Enjoy.

John Miliunas
03-20-2004, 8:27 AM
Brian, this isn't Dale coming back at 'ya, but I've got the same saw, as well. Without going into a whole lot of detail, let me just say that, without going to one of the Euro saws, I'd consider trading it even up for a General 650 or the Powermatic. Period. That's it. You will note I said "even up". In other words, in this class of saw, I wouldn't spend the much larger amount of $$ for virtually an equal saw. I've had mine for several months now and couldn't be happier with both, the saw's performance and the excellent Customer Service from Wilke. Fit and finish is great, accuracy is spot on and there are only two improvements I'd like to see in future models: 1) Better dust collection. (I modified mine to go directly to a 6" DC takeoff.) 2) I wish I could've put the Biesemeyer splitter on without having to modify it. But I did do it. (If you read between the lines on #2, you'll have figured out that the stock splitter/guard is like most ALL of these types of saws: a PITA!). Other than that, this thing flat out ROCKS! :D I'd do it over again in a heartbeat! :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
03-20-2004, 10:23 AM
One thing that Curt at Wilkie told me is that after the sale ends today IIRC that there will be a price increase of something like $150 due to the insane (my word) rise in metal prices. We're going through the same thing at work. Prices on steel and especially stainless steel fabrications have doubled since last summer.

Just a warning on the future price increase to anyone thinking of buying in the near future.

Dean

Ed Falis
03-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Man, that sure looks a lot like my saw! Let us know how that Vega works out on it.

And enjoy!

- Ed

Dean Baumgartner
03-20-2004, 8:53 PM
Man, that sure looks a lot like my saw! Let us know how that Vega works out on it.

And enjoy!

- Ed

Ed,
Not much problem mounting the Vega. The front rail mounting holes lined up just fine. I did have to enlarge holes slightly since the bolts that came with the Vega were a little larger. For the back rail, the Vega used 3/8" through bolts and the Bies clone that came with the saw had something like 5/16" tapped holes. So for the back rail I drilled new holes through the rail, the hole in the right side wing was just fine, made a new hole in the left side wing and everything is on and looks fine.

Today I got the 230v circuit run and the power cord wired up to the saw. Didn't get to cut anything but I did turn it on. Smooth as glass. Even tried it with a nickel on edge. Start, run and stop the nickel stayed standing.

Tomorrow I'll try it on real wood.

Dean

John Miliunas
03-20-2004, 9:03 PM
Today I got the 230v circuit run and the power cord wired up to the saw. Didn't get to cut anything but I did turn it on. Smooth as glass. Even tried it with a nickel on edge. Start, run and stop the nickel stayed standing.

Tomorrow I'll try it on real wood.

Dean

Hey Dean, sounds like you're in for a fun time! Just one thing: Trade that stupid nickel in for a penny! I'm serious. Much more impressive when folks visit! :D (I still keep the nickel around for the Laguna, though!) :cool:

Ed Falis
03-21-2004, 9:09 AM
...Tomorrow I'll try it on real wood.

Dean

Go get 'em!

Do they still ship that saw with a "Bridgewood" labelled thin-kerf blade? I was surprised how good it was for a throw-in.

- Ed

Brian Hale
03-22-2004, 5:44 PM
Ok, i can't wait any longer...

Is it able to cut wood?????

Inquiring minds (and nearly full wallets) Must know :D

Brian

Dean Baumgartner
03-22-2004, 9:25 PM
Ok, i can't wait any longer...

Is it able to cut wood?????

Inquiring minds (and nearly full wallets) Must know :D

Brian

In my very limited trial, a couple of cuts through a scrap piece of 2x6 it cut beautifully. Was able to go through without any slow down and the thin kerf Bridgewood brand blade left a very nice edge. Can't wait try it out with my standard Freud blade. With my old saw on thicker or harder wood I had to be very careful about the feed rate or the blade would slow down and start to burn and if I was really too fast the motor would overload and trip the breaker. With the new setup on a 30 amp 230v dedicated circuit I don't think that will be a problem.

The magnetic starter will take a little getting used to as what I'm used to is flip the switch and it goes. With the magnetic if you push the first bid of the button throw the saw starts but the switch doesn't latch and when your finger comes off the button the saw stops. There is an extra detent in the switch that is a little harder to push that is required to latch the switch and keep the saw running.

More when I have enough time to really give it a workout.

Dean

Ed Falis
03-22-2004, 9:31 PM
The magnetic starter will take a little getting used to as what I'm used to is flip the switch and it goes. With the magnetic if you push the first bid of the button throw the saw starts but the switch doesn't latch and when your finger comes off the button the saw stops. There is an extra detent in the switch that is a little harder to push that is required to latch the switch and keep the saw running.

Yeah, I noticed the switch had a different style than the one that came with mine a year or so ago. Much bigger stop button for one thing. The one I have doesn't have that problem with starting, though.

- Ed

Dean Baumgartner
03-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I noticed the switch had a different style than the one that came with mine a year or so ago. Much bigger stop button for one thing. The one I have doesn't have that problem with starting, though.

- Ed

Ed,
I wouldn't say that there's a problem with the switch, it's just that it takes an extra push to go all the way in and latch. The big stop button is really nice and the twist to reset is a nice safety feature.

Dean

Ed Falis
03-24-2004, 7:14 AM
Ed,
I wouldn't say that there's a problem with the switch, it's just that it takes an extra push to go all the way in and latch. The big stop button is really nice and the twist to reset is a nice safety feature.

Dean

Hi Dean,

I understand now - it's quite a different (and safer sounding) design than the old one. I was giving that big stop button the eye, too - nice!

- Ed

Tyler Howell
03-24-2004, 9:20 AM
Ok Dean you've had enough time now! Let's see some more Pix!

John Miliunas
03-24-2004, 1:35 PM
Hi Dean,

I understand now - it's quite a different (and safer sounding) design than the old one. I was giving that big stop button the eye, too - nice!

- Ed

I don't find having to press the "On" switch at all obtrusive and, you're right, that "big red button" is wonderful! A quick "slap" in the vicinity and she's shuttin' down! I usually end up smacking it with my push stick. I'm seriously considering something real similar for my molder, instead of that stupid "On/Off" toggle switch. Much safer. :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
03-24-2004, 8:22 PM
Ok Dean you've had enough time now! Let's see some more Pix!
Tyler,
More pix will be this weekend. It's been a busy week at work so no shop time. The plunge lift is supposed to get here Friday so I can start work on the new extension table with the router table in it.

Dean Baumgartner
03-24-2004, 8:23 PM
I don't find having to press the "On" switch at all obtrusive and, you're right, that "big red button" is wonderful! A quick "slap" in the vicinity and she's shuttin' down! I usually end up smacking it with my push stick. I'm seriously considering something real similar for my molder, instead of that stupid "On/Off" toggle switch. Much safer. :cool:

It's not obtrusive to push in the on switch, just different than the old toggle.