PDA

View Full Version : confused on plexiglass cutting?

Lisa Matthews
03-16-2008, 9:23 AM
I just need to clarify on cutting plexiglass..... I have read that many are cutting plexiglass on their machines. I am thinking that I have also read that you are NOT supposed to use plexiglass in your machines due to the toxic fumes it puts off with cutting. My searching is not clarifying this....so anyone want to help me with my memory????? LOL

Thanks!

Lisa

Pete Simmons
03-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Acrylic is fine to cut on a laser.

Plexiglas is just one of many tradenames for acrylic.

What you do not want to cut is plastic that contains PVC.

Now your challenge is to make sure the tradename clear plastic you are buying is acrylic.

Here are some common tradenames for acrylic:

Plexiglas, Limacryl, R-Cast, Perspex, Plazcryl, Acrylex, Acrylite, Acrylplast,

Gary Hair
03-17-2008, 12:41 PM
due to the toxic fumes

Lisa,
Everything you can cut will produce "toxic fumes". Wood, acrylic, leather, paper, fabric, etc., all of them have toxic fumes. Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and will kill you at high enough levels. What you need to worry about though are products that contain PVC, it emits chlorine gas that mixes with the moisture in the air and results in hydrochloric acid - nasty stuff! It will eat the metal parts of your laser as well as the lining of your lungs - nothing to mess with.

Don't worry about most things you can laser. If you are unsure then get the MSDS for the material you are lasering, it will tell you exactly what is being produced when it is subject to various processes, including burning/lasering.

Gary