PDA

View Full Version : SawStop backup?

Brian Penning
03-16-2008, 5:45 AM
In case my SawStop brakes fires and I have to use my backup tablesaw, any ideas on how to improve my dust collection?
So far hasn't been any reason to upgrade the fence(sitting on top)
Thanks in advance. heh heh http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Bri68/Miscilaneous/SAW2.jpg?t=1205660713

Randy Davidson
03-16-2008, 6:53 AM
Be sure and watch that cord on the floor. Could be dangerous.:D

John Callahan
03-16-2008, 7:10 AM
Must be the new Sawstop contractor saw we keep hearing about. Nice zero clearance insert setup but it looks as though the fence needs some work. New color scheme too. :D

Dan Edminster
03-16-2008, 9:56 AM
Mmmmm....mounting a circular saw under a table?? Sounds like something we've been doing in home workshops and commercially with routers for many years. You'd have to freehand the crosscuts, but fairly accurate rips could be made by clamping/screwing that stick parallel to the blade. I'm not speaking to the safety implications here, but you've got to give the guy high marks for ingenuity.

Randal Stevenson
03-16-2008, 10:46 AM
In case my SawStop brakes fires and I have to use my backup tablesaw, any ideas on how to improve my dust collection?
So far hasn't been any reason to upgrade the fence(sitting on top)
Thanks in advance. heh heh http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

To improve dust collection options:
1.Get some plexi and make a blade guard with a dust chute
2.Use at least a 46" fan at your back blowing towards the outside!
3.Have angry wife or mother in law spewing hot air over your shoulder while waiting for their project to be done. (this can also be good for curing shelac/poly):D

Peter Quinn
03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I saw a post recently where wood workers in Peru had a similar setup powered by a monster motor to straight line 12/4 slabs freehand. Dust collection was a bandana over the guys face. Have you tried a bandana?

Of course they had a line of guys ready to replace the sawyer when he became injured. Do you have a back up you?

Ben Rafael
03-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Dont laugh. My father made his living as a cabinet maker. His TS was a small circular saw mounted under a piece of plywood with the plywood laying on top of 2 sawhorses. He used that setup for about 10 years making thousands of items. He didnt have the space or money(or apparently the need) for anything better.

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
That's a great table saw! When I used to build houses, that was what our TS looked like except we did not have the really nice legs... just a couple of saw horses.

YM

Jeffrey Bergstrom
03-16-2008, 1:28 PM
Not to discount the many cuts that have been successfully accomplished with the upside down circular saw but you may want to invest in a back up brake cartridge for your SS instead. It is a simple swap and you'll save yourself some floor space. :)

Garth Keel
03-16-2008, 2:50 PM
If you painted the table black (or green or mustard) then it could be your #1 saw and you could use the Sawstop as backup; or sent it to me! :D

jason lambert
03-16-2008, 6:02 PM
Isn't this the prototype for the new Festool system. I europe Festool have a multi table that takes there circular saw and mounts it upside down.

Oh yea it is out side you don't need dust collection silly... Isn't dust collection only to keep the dust off of your other junk in the shop.

Ben Grunow
03-16-2008, 8:09 PM
I saw a guy using a setup like that in the rain and he jumped when he plugged it in (no switch, just plug it in to turn it on) to avoid getting electrocuted!! Not on my job.

Brian Penning
03-16-2008, 8:46 PM
Hmmm...nobody noticed the sliding table?

Mike Heidrick
03-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Are those cell phone covers in the background???

Shawn Honeychurch
03-17-2008, 1:34 PM
Awe, what a cute little saw. :)

Mike Gabbay
03-17-2008, 2:04 PM
Hmmm...nobody noticed the sliding table?

It must be a Euro model. I had heard that Laguna was working on some new designs... :D

Rod Sheridan
03-17-2008, 2:33 PM
It's obviously the Black and Decker Delta unsaw.......Rod.

Bob Swenson
03-17-2008, 5:35 PM
I would wax that top to keep it from rusting. :rolleyes: