PDA

View Full Version : Belt adjusting on a Jet 14 in. bandsaw..

Bill Huber
03-15-2008, 11:07 PM
I got my new TimberWolf blades in today and while I was putting one on I thought I would just check things over again to make sure everything was set correctly when I first set it up.
Well I found pulleys were not in line like they should be, I had worked on it for an hour when I set the saw up but I guess I had let is slip.

So I tried to get the things lined back up but what a PITA.:mad::mad::mad:

After screwing with it for about 20 min. that was it, there had to be a better way.
So here it is, it is not fancy looking but it works and makes the job 10,000 times easier and faster to do.
Just some scrap 3/4 plywood, some scrap red oak and a few wood nuts and about 30 min. work.
Now after the pulleys were lined up I could then adjust the belt tension with no problem.

84133 84134

84135 84136

Joseph Ragsdale
03-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Maybe it's staring me in the face, but how does your contraption work?

I have the "Deluxe" 14 in. Jet Bandsaw and I agree that tensioning the belt is a major PITA.

What I did with mine was to take the motor and motor plate assembly out of the saw, loosen the bolts for the motor, adjust the motor down about a inch, retighten the bolts, and reinstall the assembly back into the stand. Doing it this way, you don't have to deal with the weight of the motor or work inside the confines of the stand.

Aligning the pulleys wasn't so bad on mine. I took the belt off, used a straight edge, and had both aligned in 5 minutes or so. With the belt on it would be quite challenging to move the pulleys with the belt tension keeping them from sliding back and forth.

I scratched up my motor around the bolts trying to follow the stupid instructions in the manual. If you look at my motor you'll see white Rustoleum paint over where I scratched up the original paint with my wrenches :D

Bill Huber
03-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Joseph, I will try to explain it.

The motor it bolted to the front of the board, you can see it better in the forth picture.
The board is attached to the motor mount from the back, the 2 pieces of wood on the side keep the whole thing from twisting.

So you mount the whole thing in the main bracket, get the pulleys aligned and on the same plane by loosing the bolts that hold the motor.

Now after this is done and the bolts are tightened up you can then raise and lower the whole thing and the motor will not twist out of alignment. Set the belt tension and then tighten the bolts on the back.

The problem it fixes is trying to hold the motor so the pulleys are on the same plane and at the same time getting the tension on the belt correct and tightening the bolts that hold it all to the bracket.

josh bjork
03-16-2008, 9:25 AM
I UNDERSTAND EXACXTLY! I spent yesterday playing with a really uglier version of that. I discovered the drive pulley was BENT! My cheap little saw shakes so bad. That is a nice fix.

Jim Becker
03-16-2008, 9:36 AM
I do remember that "exercise" with the Jet 14" I had in my shop and it was not easy to adjust tension. Nice accommodation!

Dave Falkenstein
03-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I solved a vibration issue with my Jet 14" band saw by installing a link belt. That was a nice improvement.

Lewis Cobb
03-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I seem to recall a thread regarding this motor twisting issue on the Powermatic 14" bandsaw. Would this gadget sort this problem out on that saw as well?

Bill Huber
03-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I solved a vibration issue with my Jet 14" band saw by installing a link belt. That was a nice improvement.

My saw is running very smooth but I still think I will go to a link belt before long, I have one on the table saw and really like it. But at least now I can adjust the belt when I put it on.

Bill Huber
03-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I seem to recall a thread regarding this motor twisting issue on the Powermatic 14" bandsaw. Would this gadget sort this problem out on that saw as well?

I think it would, there are a lot of saw that have the same type closed base and they all mount the motor the same way. In fact I think they just have a different color paint they would on them and then sell them under a different name.
I think Jet, Powermatic and one of the Grizzly are the same basic saw then each one adds there own fence or light or something like that to it.

The motor mount was a real poor design and with just a little they could have made it a lot better.

Lewis Cobb
03-16-2008, 6:41 PM
I think it would, there are a lot of saw that have the same type closed base and they all mount the motor the same way. In fact I think they just have a different color paint they would on them and then sell them under a different name.
I think Jet, Powermatic and one of the Grizzly are the same basic saw then each one adds there own fence or light or something like that to it.

The motor mount was a real poor design and with just a little they could have made it a lot better.

Thanks Bill. I am close to ordering a PM 14" bandsaw and this is about the only issue that I see people having with them from studying the threads here. I've saved your pictures and will shamelessly copy your design when the time comes :D Thanks !
Lewis

Peter Quinn
03-16-2008, 6:58 PM
I have the PM 14" which uses a 5-micro V belt...if the allignment isn't nearly perfect the belt flies right off the pulleys, every time you try to tension the belt it knocks out the alignment...major PIA. I feel your pain.

I bought an old PM jointer cabinet a while back real cheap, $30? It came with a 2HP baldor motor brand new (I don't think the discount tool place realized the motor was still in the cabinet!) That old cabinet had a beautiful motor mount plate with a tensioning device I intend to install in my bandsaw the next time it needs adjustment. It is basically two steel plates joined by a hinge with a screw/lock nut mechanism for tension, quick, simple, painless adjustment.

I called PM tech service on another issue recently and wound up discussing this issue with the tech as I recently tuned the BS and the rage of dealing with belt tension was fresh in my mind. I was told they get LOTS of complaints about that issue. He reccommended LAYING THE BANDSAW ON ITS SIDE ON THE GROUND TO GET A BETTER MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE WHILE ADJUSTING THE MOTOR.

I recommended he get his head examined. I asked him "Are you seriously suggesting I lay a nearly 300# top heavy cast iron machine on its side on the concrete floor to perform routine maintainence?" I offered to send their enginering department a picture of the old motor mount plate they used to use so they could improve their present design, they declined!

Lewis Cobb
03-16-2008, 8:05 PM
I have the PM 14" which uses a 5-micro V belt...if the allignment isn't nearly perfect the belt flies right off the pulleys, every time you try to tension the belt it knocks out the alignment...major PIA. I feel your pain.

I bought an old PM jointer cabinet a while back real cheap, $30? It came with a 2HP baldor motor brand new (I don't think the discount tool place realized the motor was still in the cabinet!) That old cabinet had a beautiful motor mount plate with a tensioning device I intend to install in my bandsaw the next time it needs adjustment. It is basically two steel plates joined by a hinge with a screw/lock nut mechanism for tension, quick, simple, painless adjustment.

I called PM tech service on another issue recently and wound up discussing this issue with the tech as I recently tuned the BS and the rage of dealing with belt tension was fresh in my mind. I was told they get LOTS of complaints about that issue. He reccommended LAYING THE BANDSAW ON ITS SIDE ON THE GROUND TO GET A BETTER MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE WHILE ADJUSTING THE MOTOR.

I recommended he get his head examined. I asked him "Are you seriously suggesting I lay a nearly 300# top heavy cast iron machine on its side on the concrete floor to perform routine maintainence?" I offered to send their enginering department a picture of the old motor mount plate they used to use so they could improve their present design, they declined!

Peter - could you send me a picture of the old one? I'd like to see it - thanks

Peter Quinn
03-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I took some pictures but can't seem to upload them or compress them.

Lewis Cobb
03-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I took some pictures but can't seem to upload them or compress them.

I got Peter to fire me off the pics in their uncompressed form and I uploaded them to my photobucket account so I could attach them to this thread. I haven't even taken delivery of my 14" bandsaw yet and here I am planning the modifications for it already :eek:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/LewisCobb/PM14%20Bandsaw/IMG_1523.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/LewisCobb/PM14%20Bandsaw/IMG_1522.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/LewisCobb/PM14%20Bandsaw/IMG_1521.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/LewisCobb/PM14%20Bandsaw/IMG_1520.jpg

Lewis Cobb
12-02-2008, 3:26 PM
Bill -

This is an old thread but I just wanted to let you know that I bought a PM14 bandsaw, and took one look at the motor / belt adjustment foolishness and built one of your slider brackets. It works like a charm and I can't thank you enough for putting up your design earlier this year.

Here's a pic of my version - pretty much the same as yours except the cabinet and bracket are mustard and not ivory :)

Cheers,
Lewis
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Bandsaw/145_45271.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Bandsaw/145_45281.jpg

Peter Quinn
12-02-2008, 7:30 PM
Lewis, I see in your pics there is no air line connected to that 'cut line blower' pump on your motor. Was that intentional? The first time I fired mine up and that handy implement created a dust storm in my face I cut the line with linemen's pliers and tossed it and the nozzle in a drawer! Have you tried it? I'm wondering if the pump could be removed and put to use on a different machine like a mortiser?

I still need to make one of those Uber Huber motor mounts. Next service interval for my BS its a must.

Lewis Cobb
12-02-2008, 8:10 PM
Lewis, I see in your pics there is no air line connected to that 'cut line blower' pump on your motor. Was that intentional? The first time I fired mine up and that handy implement created a dust storm in my face I cut the line with linemen's pliers and tossed it and the nozzle in a drawer! Have you tried it? I'm wondering if the pump could be removed and put to use on a different machine like a mortiser?

I still need to make one of those Uber Huber motor mounts. Next service interval for my BS its a must.

Peter - I have not fired up the machine yet - still trying to clean the packing grease off the tables ! However, your comments somewhat confirm my thoughts as I was assembling the machine last night and looking at that little blower thing. I suspect that it will end up in the drawer in my shop as well if I have the same results as you.

This "Huber Slider" as I have called it, is the cat's meow. I can't believe how easy it was to set the tension on the belt. In fact, I just looped the belt over the pulley on the motor and the weight of the motor/slider just pulled the thing down to almost the proper tension. A push down with one hand, tighten the bolts, and it was perfect.

Speaking of cleaning the grease off the tables - I am having a heck of a time with what looks like some staining on the extension table when I cleaned the grease off - looks like there was something that leached in under the plastic and stained the external edge of the table at the factory and I have tried WD-40, Mineral spirits and about 45 minutes of rubbing but it will not come out. I just came in from the shop and am a bit on the cranky side if I have to look at this stain forever more. It won't affect the operation of course, but you like to start with a shiny new tool.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about - I may load up another thread with this and see what others come back with. I don't really want to try anything that abrasive as that will end up with a worse looking mess with a mis-match between the main table and this table.

Cheers,
Lewis

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Bandsaw/ext_table.jpg

Bill Huber
12-03-2008, 8:39 PM
Bill -

This is an old thread but I just wanted to let you know that I bought a PM14 bandsaw, and took one look at the motor / belt adjustment foolishness and built one of your slider brackets. It works like a charm and I can't thank you enough for putting up your design earlier this year.

Here's a pic of my version - pretty much the same as yours except the cabinet and bracket are mustard and not ivory :)

Cheers,
Lewis

You are sure welcome, I am just glad it worked out for you as will as it did for me.
I still can not believe that they put out something designed that poorly.

Dewey Torres
12-03-2008, 8:57 PM
Lewis,
I like my blower and I left it on. Give it a try and see what you think. Maybe I am the only one who liked it... who knows.

Bill,
Once again... very clever design. Have you given thought about sending it to WMH tool group? If not, would you mind if I sent it on your behalf and credited you then post the response here on the Creek (if I get one)?

Bill Huber
12-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Lewis,
I like my blower and I left it on. Give it a try and see what you think. Maybe I am the only one who liked it... who knows.

Bill,
Once again... very clever design. Have you given thought about sending it to WMH tool group? If not, would you mind if I sent it on your behalf and credited you then post the response here on the Creek (if I get one)?

If you want to send it to anyone go for it, I am just not one to sending stuff like that in. I just do it and let who ever wants it have it.

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 1:40 AM
Bill,
I got in touch with WMH tool group today. I sent them the proposal now we get to wait. I will update this thread if / when they reply.

Dewey Torres
12-10-2008, 7:38 PM
Below is the reply that was sent back to me from WMH tool group:

Hi Dewey,

Thank you for sharing your idea and pictures. I agree that it can be a
pain to make that adjustment. On our new Jet 14" bandsaw we've gone
with a different configuration (motor mounted to the frame instead of
down in the cabinet) that we believe takes care of this problem. The
new Powermatic 14" bandsaw isn't complete yet, but I can tell you that
it isn't an issue on that new design either. If you come across any
other issues on the bandsaw or any other machines feel free to let us
know and if it hasn't been addressed yet then we will definitely do our
best to take care of it on future models.

Thank you as well for your service to our country and thank you for
being a Jet and Powermatic supporter.

Best regards,
John

Michael Greenberg
09-27-2009, 5:58 PM
Hopefully someone will know this-
I have a new PM 14" bandsaw and I have begun putting the tool together. However, right at the outset I am experiencing a snag- the belt runs right off of the pulley with just a few manual turns.
Will this bracket solve that?
Somewhere I read that you have to have the blade tensioned on the saw to stop that, but I am skeptical.
Is it the lack of blade tension or the fact that the motor is not level on the motor mount?
Any ideas, anyone?

Bill Huber
09-27-2009, 9:46 PM
Hopefully someone will know this-
I have a new PM 14" bandsaw and I have begun putting the tool together. However, right at the outset I am experiencing a snag- the belt runs right off of the pulley with just a few manual turns.
Will this bracket solve that?
Somewhere I read that you have to have the blade tensioned on the saw to stop that, but I am skeptical.
Is it the lack of blade tension or the fact that the motor is not level on the motor mount?
Any ideas, anyone?

It really sounds like your pulleys are not aligned.
It should make do difference if the blade is on or off.

The center line of the one should be in line with the other one and they should be straight with each other.

glenn bradley
09-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Great fix Bill. There are a load of folks out there that this will help.

Michael Greenberg
09-28-2009, 9:39 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Bill.
I'll take another crack at alligning the pulleys and see if that helps.
Regards