PDA

View Full Version : 604 1/2 Bedrock

Dave Cav
03-15-2008, 10:37 PM
First of all, I'll admit I'm both an accumulator and a user. Over the last five years or so I have managed to accumulate just about two sets of Baileys #2 through #8, although I only have one each of the fractionals, and there's no way I'm going pay for a #1 just to have one; with my hands I can barely use a #3. Lately I have been acquiring Bedrocks as my day to day users, and have managed to put together a pretty respectable set of #603 through #607. I even somehow managed to get a reasonably good deal on a 605 1/2 recently. I have installed Hock irons in most of the Bedrocks, and I'm very happy with the combination.

This week I finally got a (sort of) affordable 604 1/2C from one of the better known old tool pushers, and I was working with it tonight. I took it apart and cleaned it up, lapped the sole to about 240 grit, and installed the tote and iron from my 4 1/2 (the 604 1/2 tote horn is broken). The iron is an A2 Hock, which I ground a very light crown on. I am building a set of teak display cases (no, not for my planes; for my wife's cut glass collection) and I really wanted to see how the new plane/iron combination worked. I got a rough sawn teak plank off the stack and cleaned the bandsaw marks off with a jack plane (yes, the 605; it cleaned the saw marks off a 6" x 6 foot teak board in about 90 seconds) and then went after it with the 604 1/2. I closed the mouth up as much as I could and still have it pass shavings, and then set if for as shallow a cut as would take. It made wonderfully fluffy shavings and after a few passes the teak looked like it had been polished. There were several areas of reversing grain around pin knots, and the plane handled them like they weren't even there. I think I'm going to like that plane.

And yes, when I'm not using them I keep most of my bench planes in glass front (actually plexiglas) display cases on the shop wall...

David Tiell
03-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Congrats on the score, and thanks for the review. I've been able to collect a decent set of 603 through 608, but still need the fractions myself. I stumbled across a good (and very reasonably priced) source last time I visited home. I'm going back again this week, and will check with the guy again. Hopefully I can score as well as you did.

Clint Jones
03-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Congrats, the 604 1/2 is one of the tougher ones to get. I have a user set of flatside bedrocks and I find I use the 606 the most. Once you get even sicker you will have to have one of these.

Dave Cav
03-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I was about resigned to buying a L-N, then this one came along.

A 606 was actually my second Bedrock after the 605. I put a Hock iron in it and found out that it made a wonderful panel smoother, and that's what I use it for. The wide blade and mass do a great job on large, wide boards. It's what pushed me over the Bedrock slope. I don't really have any use for a 602 or a 605 1/4, but I am looking for a 608 next.

I really should sell some of my Baileys, but most of them are such great old planes I really can't bear to part with them, and, in fact, whenever I see a cheap and dirty #4 or 5 Bailey in a junk or antique store it usually goes home with me. Several of them have been cleaned up and given to friends and relatives, where hopefully they will inspire the next generation of galoots.

Randal Stevenson
03-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Congrats, the 604 1/2 is one of the tougher ones to get. I have a user set of flatside bedrocks and I find I use the 606 the most. Once you get even sicker you will have to have one of these.

Which one is that? Patrick's 601?

Mike Cutler
03-16-2008, 8:31 AM
Nice gloat on the 4 1/2 Dave. it sounds like a beaut'. Nice writeup that you shared with us also.

Regarding the following statement;

And yes, when I'm not using them I keep most of my bench planes in glass front (actually plexiglas) display cases on the shop wall...

I know that for some reason it's a sticking point to people that folks elect to keep their planes in a nice case. To me it's a very prudent move. It protects the planes when not in use, acts as a barrier to humidity, keeps them all in one place and not haphazardly strewn about shelves and drawers.
It takes an investment in time to get a plane all tuned up and ready to go. It's worth protecting that time investment.

I'd like to see a pic your case, if that's alright. I have primarily LN planes, with some flea market specials thrown in, and am looking for a storage solution.

PS
I think your post constituted a gloat, and I seem to have missed the accompanying pic.:eek:,;)

Terry Bigelow
03-16-2008, 9:08 AM
First of all, I'll admit I'm both an accumulator and a user.
hmmmm..."accumulator", I like that. Guess I have a slight accumulating habit as well. Seriously though, nice score. I have the same set up(604 1/2 w/Hock iron and CB) and that is one of my favorite planes too. I do like the 603 and the 606 as well. Here they are...603,604,604 1/2,605,605 1/2,606,607,608

Jim Koepke
03-16-2008, 1:08 PM
I just recently scored on a Bailey 4-1/2 and like it a lot.

I favor the planes with the rounded sides. Not really too excited about the Bedrocks though they are fine planes.

Finally got a round tuit and put my one Bedrock up for sale on that auction site that shall not be named.

jim

Dave Cav
03-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Nice gloat on the 4 1/2 Dave. it sounds like a beaut'. Nice writeup that you shared with us also.

Regarding the following statement;

I know that for some reason it's a sticking point to people that folks elect to keep their planes in a nice case. To me it's a very prudent move. It protects the planes when not in use, acts as a barrier to humidity, keeps them all in one place and not haphazardly strewn about shelves and drawers.
It takes an investment in time to get a plane all tuned up and ready to go. It's worth protecting that time investment.

I'd like to see a pic your case, if that's alright. I have primarily LN planes, with some flea market specials thrown in, and am looking for a storage solution.

PS
I think your post constituted a gloat, and I seem to have missed the accompanying pic.:eek:,;)

Here's a picture of the display cases (assuming I have done the attachment correctly). The cases are nothing fancy, just utility hemlock with plexiglass fronts. I live in the PNW and my shop is a mostly unheated pole building with no dust collection system, so the cabinets keep the planes clean and dry in addition to displaying them. Another trick I use to prevent rust is to put camphor blocks in the cabinets. The camphor is supposed to evaporate and deposit a film on the planes, preventing rust. That's the theory, anyway, but it seems to work fairly well.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/Planecabinet1.jpg

http://http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/Planecabinet1.jpg

Mike Cutler
03-17-2008, 5:23 AM
Dave

Thank you for the pic, and I'll have to look into the camphor blocks.

Thom Sturgill
03-17-2008, 9:42 AM
Dave, do you have anything protecting the blades? Cork shelf lining, for example?

Kurt Bird
03-17-2008, 5:36 PM
Dave,
Not only something on the shelf for the blades, but in a higher humidity area, I wouldn't want my bedrocks sitting flat on a wood surface for any length of time. You may want to see if you can get some of the paper that LN uses to wrap their planes for shipment to line your shelves.
Kurt:)

Dave Cav
03-17-2008, 9:48 PM
I put a popsicle stick or thin piece of lath under the toe of the sole to raise the iron off the surface of the shelf and to allow a little air circulation around the bottom of the plane. I also have sprayed each plane (disassembled) with either Boeshield or a similar CRC product and then wiped them down, and I have an old sock that is saturated with Boeshield that I use to wipe them down after each use.

Al Mock MD
03-19-2008, 8:04 AM
Here they are...603,604,604 1/2,605,605 1/2,606,607,608

Terry, this picture almost made me cry. What a gorgeous collection. I only own two BRs but multiples of all the Baileys. I'm with all the guys above, as my heavy duty is the 606 Hocked-out. Thanks for sharing this photo. I'm considering replacing my Wife's photo on the nightstand with it. :) al

Terry Bigelow
03-19-2008, 5:22 PM
I'm considering replacing my Wife's photo on the nightstand with it. :) al
Thanks for the laugh,Al! Not sure your wife would think it's quite as funny though;). No coincedence that my favorite "Rocks" just happen to have Hocks too! I know, I know someone's always gotta chime in with the "there's no real difference between standard Bailey and Bedrocks, and the original irons are just as good as Hocks" .....but I like 'em better:cool:.

Mark Stutz
03-19-2008, 7:22 PM
I'm considering replacing my Wife's photo on the nightstand with it. :) al

Not sure I'd want to try that. She already refers to my shop as my mistress!