PDA

View Full Version : Had a visit from a Creeker today

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-19-2004, 7:43 PM
Had the great pleasure of spending a little time with Todd Burch today who is vacationing about 45 minutes away. We were able to talk a little wood working and share a few experiences. I really enjoyed meeting Todd after reading his posts here on the Creek. Hope he will be able to stop by again and spend more time the next visit.

Tom Sweeney
03-20-2004, 2:16 PM
What's that boy doing on vacation - he has big tools coming he needs to get working on paying for ;)

Seriously I'm glad Todd could take some time off for some family fun - it's very important no matter how busy we are. Glad you had a good visit Don - thanks for the post.

If I ever get back to visit with my brother in Clear Lake a visit over to Todd's is definately on the agenda, if he'll let me of course ;)

Todd Burch
03-20-2004, 9:32 PM
Well, I'm finally back at the house, and BOY do I have stories to tell about Don!!

Don is a SUPER nice guy. Don's been doing that woodworking thing for a LONG time and has done tons more than I have. He spends a lot of time these days caning and rushing chairs. There were some examples in his shop that were VERY nice. He makes some pretty unique round stools too with round inlays in the tops (dowels). I remember seeing one of his posts on Badger Pond with the stool in it, and he used the technique to hide a "accident" with a biscuit that was showing. Now he tells me that women have been known to fight over them at craft shows!! WAY TO GO Don!!

Don's shop is modest but quite functional. Don is the kind of guy that would just as well make a tool than buy one. He had some pretty neat creations - a big scroll saw, a thickness sander, an attachment for his jointer to make it a thickness planer (who would have thunk!!), homemade mobile bases everywhere, and on and on.

When I first stepped in his shop, there was this "contraption-thing" that was right front and center. (Intentionally placed - I'm sure!) At it's center was a long handsaw. Within 2 minutes, at MY request, Don was playing a song for me on his handsaw with a bow!! What a treat! I didn't recognize the tune (Sorry Don), but he sure got into it. ;)

Anyway Don, thanks for letting me stop by (and get away from the family for a little bit!!) Here's a picture of Don "sawing" away for me!