View Full Version : Wood score gloat

Craig D Peltier
03-15-2008, 7:11 PM
Well yesterday I replied to a post on Craigslist. Even though she said dont ask about how long they are and how much.I did, I asked what she had advertised as maple was eastern or western. And how much is retail which she wanted? She didint reply but she called me today, I just happen to be 3 miles away at the time unless I would of never went cause she had no clue what she had.
I went there she had a whole carport full of western maple, some old fir, butcher top, band saw, planer/jointer. Then some other woods all mixed in.I was most interested in the blue edge painted ones.I asked how much, she told me they were ash and make her an offer. I said well Ill take 50 bd ft for 100. I knew it wasnt ash but I didint want to call her a liar. It was beautiful cherry. All 7 foot to 11ft . I told her id buy more for a better deal.:D She said okay. So i got 110 bd ft for $160. Im trying to buy more tommorrow. Ash that is. She was just happy to let it go and it be used for something nice.

Im happy.

3 pieces are 10.25 x 120 that are high figure, figure as I have ever seen cherry.

Ive also been buying from a guy who sells recyled wood.He has been scoring eastern maple cut offs 15/16 x 49 long anywhere from 2-3.5 wide. he sells them for me for a $1 bd ft. I have 375bd ft. Im building my kitchen cabinets with it. Faces and door frames. I just finished washer dryer room with it.

Ive heard of some really good scores at auctions from folks on this board.Out here seems like if anyone advertises wood theres a line.I didnt have to fight with anyone to get this. It came to me.

Craig D Peltier
03-15-2008, 7:15 PM
Heres the washer dryer room cabinets.

Also the vanity I built out of cutoffs and scrap ply.

Jim Becker
03-15-2008, 8:02 PM
Ah...nothing like the smell of fresh, umm...bought...asherrry! :D

Great cabinet work, too!

gary Zimmel
03-15-2008, 9:13 PM
Craig

Nice score on the wood....

And great looking cabinets!

Mike Monroe
03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Reminds me of an auction I attended a few years ago. Cabinet maker retiring, selling off everything. I snagged 66 bf of cherry at $1 a bf. Everyone should get at least one gloat worthy wood score. Though I'm sure many exceed that number.

Dave Cav
03-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I was cruising through Seattle Craigslist Friday night and saw the post, and was highly tempted (I'm up in Everett); unfortunately I had a class all day today (Saturday). Maybe I'll give her a call Sunday. I could use some maple.

David Sallee
03-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice score! That's why I watch our local craigslist EVERY day.

Oh, nice cabinets too ... ;)

Dave

Randal Stevenson
03-15-2008, 11:37 PM
You deserve a You Suck award.:D

My hours don't make it easy for me to get the bargains, but I know they are out there.

I had an old neighbor, once bought a single car garage, floor to ceiling FULL of Walnut for $25.
I get to them AFTER Their empty.:rolleyes:

Craig D Peltier
03-16-2008, 1:06 AM
I was cruising through Seattle Craigslist Friday night and saw the post, and was highly tempted (I'm up in Everett); unfortunately I had a class all day today (Saturday). Maybe I'll give her a call Sunday. I could use some maple.
Shes there tommorrow.She has alot of live edge western maple.Pretty rough.Some mahogany but maybe only 2 planks and some more cherry.I heard she might know its cherry now. I know a guy whos going to make an offer on the lot at end of day tommorrow.Low ball of course. She has some butternut I think as well that she thought was walnut.

Roger Newby
03-16-2008, 2:43 PM
I recently ran across a CL for walnut @ $2.50 BF:eek: Bought every stick he had. It was all air dried and had been cut about 15 yrs. ago. Just over 100 BF total.:D The "stuff" was in his way, he needed room to park his boat. What a hardship.

James Carmichael
03-16-2008, 2:59 PM
Yes, you suck.

I've looked and looked on CL, but finally decided if I was going to maintain a job,marrige, and ever actually do any woodworking, I would just have to pay retail for stuff.

Maybe, someday, the stars will align just so, and I'll just happen to look on CL, or drive by an estate sale one Saturday morning to find hundreds of BF of BE maple or crotch-grain walnut for a song (or in my case, not to sing:eek:). But I no longer actively search for the Stradivarius in the junkyard.

Craig D Peltier
03-16-2008, 5:42 PM
I went backtoday after she called me. I sorted through what I wanted. Gave here $185 and was on my way.
I got 170 bd ft.

So grand total was 282 bd ft for $345.00 or $1.26 a bd ft. Hardly any waning pieces too, maybe 4 out of 67 boards.I have more cherry than I know what to do with or room for I also got a 10" x 9' Honduras Mahogany an 4 22k gold teacups thrown in.

She still had butternut, big planks of eastern maple, western maple (300bd ft estimate) and maybe 40 bd ft of cherry.
Plus a radiam arm saw 2.5hp craftsman with digital controls witha real nice table with draws under it for $175 OBO, I think its a good deal if I can get it for 125 or so.

Honduras 84192