PDA

View Full Version : router for router table

Marc Prudhomme
03-15-2008, 6:41 PM
Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I wanted some input on what router I should buy for mounting to my router table and for general use but I did not get to many recomendations.I know that a few of you fellow woodworker have more than one router but I am looking for one kit that I can mount on my table and easily remove for plunge routing.The candidates are dewault,bosch and porter cable and maybe even Rigid(though I have not heard much positive about this kit).I really would like the height adjustment from the top capability and easy bit changes from the table.
Lets hear some recomendations to help me decide.
Thank you ,
Marc

Steven Bolton
03-15-2008, 6:46 PM
I don't know first hand, but from what I have read the Triton 2 and 1/2 is a good one. Fine Woodworking gave it top billing in a review of routers for router tables.

I think it is made "down under." One thing I remember is you can change bit from the top of the table. That would save buying a lift.

Steve Bolton

Marc Prudhomme
03-15-2008, 6:51 PM
I cant find anything on the triton 2 or 2 1/2.Please help
I don't know first hand, but from what I have read the Triton 2 and 1/2 is a good one. Fine Woodworking gave it top billing in a review of routers for router tables.

I think it is made "down under." One thing I remember is you can change bit from the top of the table. That would save buying a lift.

Steve Bolton

Ryan Hovis
03-15-2008, 7:02 PM
Search for Triton 2.25HP router.

Steven Bolton
03-15-2008, 7:07 PM
Finewood Working had an article on it. I will see if I can find it.

Steve bolton

Marc Prudhomme
03-15-2008, 7:14 PM
Found it.It is a permanent plunge router.It also has a lot of extras guide bushings an straight bit.Is this good.Does anyone have this router? here is a demo www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cz5kPKXjqQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cz5kPKXjqQ)

Robert Waddell
03-15-2008, 7:25 PM
I've used a Bosch 1617 EVSPK this way for quiet awhile(a few years). As a matter of fact I just replaced the bearings in it this past week so you know it has seen some use. No problems at all with it. (BTW, changing the bearings was super easy and only cost me $13.90 for two sets including shipping from www.thebigbearingstore.com.) The motor always came out easily and into the plunge base for hand routing. Mine don't have above the table height adjustment but I never had all that much problem doing it below table. It has a course step adjustment to get it close and a fine adjustment to zero it in. I just have bought a bigger router to put in the table. I left the Bosch base mounted to the old insert just incase I want or need to drop it back into the table. I hear a lot of folks are very happy with the Dewalt but not so much bragging on the PC800 series. The other PC models have always been the standard so I don't know why this is.
I hope this helps.
Rob

Marc Prudhomme
03-15-2008, 7:45 PM
So far I am liking the triton.The only thing that sucks is that you have to reach down to turn the switch off to lock the collet for bit changes

Eric Haycraft
03-15-2008, 8:12 PM
So far I am liking the triton.The only thing that sucks is that you have to reach down to turn the switch off to lock the collet for bit changes

The freuds have above table locks. The milwaukee might also. I have the freud, can't recommend it enough.

Marc Prudhomme
03-15-2008, 8:24 PM
The plunge mode does not get good reviews.Dont know much about this router other than what I have read
The freuds have above table locks. The milwaukee might also. I have the freud, can't recommend it enough.

Heather Thompson
03-15-2008, 8:43 PM
Marc,

I belong to an Aussie forum similar to this one, but I will admit that they are a bit more outspoken than here, the moderators will let it get more gritty if you catch my drift. Seems that there is some conversation about Triton being in some business trouble, personally I can not comment to the validity of these claims. If I were you, I would look at buying a dedicated router for the table (PC7518 :D) and some PC 690's for other duties. I made a few purchases where they tossed in PC690's as freebies, got my 7518 for a song at a Rockler four hour sale. I also picked up a PRL from Woodpecker for another song, (scratch and dent), still have not found the defect.

Heather ;)

Greg Hines, MD
03-15-2008, 8:45 PM
I put a Porter Cable 890 into my router table, and am quite pleased with it. It has a 2 1/2hp motor, and above the table height adjustment. When you get it with the fixed and plunge bases, the fixed base lives in the table and you still have the plunge base for hand held uses.

I particularly like the through the handle dust collection for both bases, particularly the table base.

Doc

Alison Gray
03-15-2008, 9:19 PM
I have the Triton 2 1/2 and I love it. The abililty to change from above the table is great. It has good power. Absolutely no complaints and all for less than $250.

Marc Prudhomme
03-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Heather I searched the pc 7518 from PC and all I could find was speed control problems everywhere .I probably wont be going with this router...
Marc,

I belong to an Aussie forum similar to this one, but I will admit that they are a bit more outspoken than here, the moderators will let it get more gritty if you catch my drift. Seems that there is some conversation about Triton being in some business trouble, personally I can not comment to the validity of these claims. If I were you, I would look at buying a dedicated router for the table (PC7518 :D) and some PC 690's for other duties. I made a few purchases where they tossed in PC690's as freebies, got my 7518 for a song at a Rockler four hour sale. I also picked up a PRL from Woodpecker for another song, (scratch and dent), still have not found the defect.

Heather ;)

glenn bradley
03-16-2008, 1:12 AM
Heather I searched the pc 7518 from PC and all I could find was speed control problems everywhere .I probably wont be going with this router...

OK, I'll kick in. Embrace the fact that having one kit that will do it all is like wishing a combo blade did as good of a job as a task specific blade. Just not gonna happen. This is not to say you should not endeavor to choose well for this purchase.

Table routers that don't require lifts are few but closer to perfect than ever before. My dad has the Triton (it is really sweet) but, he does hate the power switch thing. This is a safety requirement on routers that self lock their collet, deal with it ;-) Read the "oops" stories of the folks who bypassed the on board switch and mounted an external paddle only. . . not pretty.

I run the Mil 5625 in the table; variable speed, torque controlled, tons of power, smooth, etc., etc. I've run a lumberyard of wood through it, it has never blinked.

Had a DeWalt 618 kit but had collet issues. Returned it and got the Mil 5616-24 dual base kit. This works well for me as I already had the 5615 and these two routers and all their bases are interchangeable. I did not plan this Milwaukee-a-thon, it just happened.

I also have Bosch, and old Ryobi that is quite crude but won't die and even a 30 year old C-man that I dedicate to specific tasks. I never knew routers demonstrated herd-behavior but, here I am. You may very well end up with a stable of your own without even trying ;-)

Marc Prudhomme
03-16-2008, 9:08 AM
good comments Glen.I like the milwaukee.It would definately have way more power than I would ever need but I kind of like all the extras included in the Tritan Package.decisions,decisions.Now I kind of wish I didnt sell my cheapo Skill 1 1/2.It would of been nice to have that router for certain things.The only thing about the tritan that bugs me is that it looks huge.It looks like it would be bulky and uncomfortable for free hand work.Can anyone chime in on this point?
OK, I'll kick in. Embrace the fact that having one kit that will do it all is like wishing a combo blade did as good of a job as a task specific blade. Just not gonna happen. This is not to say you should not endeavor to choose well for this purchase.

Table routers that don't require lifts are few but closer to perfect than ever before. My dad has the Triton (it is really sweet) but, he does hate the power switch thing. This is a safety requirement on routers that self lock their collet, deal with it ;-) Read the "oops" stories of the folks who bypassed the on board switch and mounted an external paddle only. . . not pretty.

I run the Mil 5625 in the table; variable speed, torque controlled, tons of power, smooth, etc., etc. I've run a lumberyard of wood through it, it has never blinked.

Had a DeWalt 618 kit but had collet issues. Returned it and got the Mil 5616-24 dual base kit. This works well for me as I already had the 5615 and these two routers and all their bases are interchangeable. I did not plan this Milwaukee-a-thon, it just happened.

I also have Bosch, and old Ryobi that is quite crude but won't die and even a 30 year old C-man that I dedicate to specific tasks. I never knew routers demonstrated herd-behavior but, here I am. You may very well end up with a stable of your own without even trying ;-)

Marc Prudhomme
03-16-2008, 12:02 PM
anyone own the tritan 2 1/4 HP?Is it awkward for freehand routing,roundovers,etc?

Marc Prudhomme
03-17-2008, 8:26 PM
Well i am going with the triton.Heres the link for amazon 199.00 with free shipping. www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001KC-Precision-Router-Kit/dp/B000DINFHY/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205799382&sr=8-16 (http://www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001KC-Precision-Router-Kit/dp/B000DINFHY/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205799382&sr=8-16) Is this a good price?
Marc

Jim Mims
03-17-2008, 8:44 PM
I bought a PC 8529 and should be receiving my Rockler table saw extension table this week. So that was what I decided for my first router table.
I'm not endorsing the PC 890 series without first-hand experience (although if I had it to do over, that's what I would have bought for my first table), but this is a nice video demonstrating how a router made for use in a table works:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/subscription/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=5258
Of course, if you're using an (expensive) lift, it doesn't matter as much.
- Jim

Marc Prudhomme
03-17-2008, 8:49 PM
Anybody know where to get it cheaper?
Well i am going with the triton.Heres the link for amazon 199.00 with free shipping. www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001KC-Precision-Router-Kit/dp/B000DINFHY/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205799382&sr=8-16 (http://www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001KC-Precision-Router-Kit/dp/B000DINFHY/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205799382&sr=8-16) Is this a good price?
Marc

Michael Gibbons
03-18-2008, 7:42 AM
I have the PC 7518 in my router table and has plenty of power. All I wish is that I had a lift. Maybe in the future? I have the 890 with regular and plunge base. Ergonomics, features, brand loyalty and price usually decide what people will buy so shop around and handle all of the routers before you take the plunge.:rolleyes:

Eric DeSilva
03-18-2008, 9:24 AM
I've got the Triton in a router table and like it as well--easy to adjust, no problem with bit changes.

One other plus for the Triton in that configuration is that it has a good DC system...

J. Z. Guest
03-18-2008, 9:28 AM
From everything I've read, Triton is tops in this regard.

Personally, I'm going the other route. Rather than trying to make do with one router and juggle them around, removing baseplates, etc. I'm going to leave my humble DeWalt fixed base 1-3/4 hp router in the table with the aftermarket electronic speed control, and buy another one (or a plunger) later. I'm actually considering a Bosch Colt for a second router, since it will be mostly for edge treatments. Only problem is that I'll need to then buy 1/4" shank bits.

Marc Prudhomme
03-18-2008, 6:21 PM
I guess one of my big concerns is being able to get the collet high enough over the insert of the table for bit changes.are all fixed base routers able to do this??
Marc

Shawn Honeychurch
03-18-2008, 6:32 PM
In the FWW 2007 tools review the Triton won both best value and best router, I have never seen a tool review of there before where a tool won best both for value and for being the best tool. It's usually one or the other.