PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions, good or bad on Delta’s 26-682 18” Bandsaw?

Bruce Page
03-19-2004, 7:07 PM
I stopped by Wood Workers Supply this morning to look at the Delta 18” 28-682 bandsaw, and for $1199, I was pleasantly surprised. It seems to be well built and the fit & finish was very good. It also has pretty good specs including 12" resaw capacity, 2 hp, 230V motor, magnetic starter switch, quick tension blade release lever and 1¼” blade capacity to name a few. Weighing 397 lbs., it should be a solid machine.

I know it’s not a Mini Max or Laguna but $1200 is about all I’m willing to spend on a BS upgrade.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jim Becker
03-19-2004, 7:43 PM
It's a little lighter machine as compared to most of the 16"-18" Euro saws, but priced attractively for an 18" wheel machine. You should also look at the Bridgewood and Grizzly offerings which are priced similarly. 12" resaw with 2.5hp is a very nice combination!

MM does have a new machine in that price range, but it's not on their web site. You'll have to call them for details.

John Shuk
03-20-2004, 1:33 PM
My buddy Matt has one and is REAL happy. He is using it to cut turning blanks for bowls that he turns on a Poolewood lathe so they are pretty substantial pieces. He has a 3/8 Timberwolf blade and says it cuts like butter. He cuts mostly wet wood.. He and I got that sucker down in the basement by ourselves and it is a pretty darn heavy machine. I have a Laguna 16 and the weight is somewhat similar. There have been no quality issues with Matt's saw. The only small issue he had was when he ran it at the slower speed setting which Suffolk Machinery set him straight on. Their blades are meant to be used at the higher speed. They told him to set it and forget it. The other thing about the Delta is that you will most likely be supporting a more local business and getting the advantages of that. Good Luck.
John

Bruce Page
03-20-2004, 7:55 PM
Thanks Jim & John. I have been reading some reviews/opinions on the 28-682 and most of them have been positive. I have been waffling on this decision for months. I think I will put my Rockwell 14” up for sale and see what happens. I can get by with the 14” but it sure would be nice to do some resawing with 2 hp & and 1¼” blade!

Thanks again

Charles McKinley
03-20-2004, 8:37 PM
Hi Bruce,

Look at the amps on the motor. Either the one I saw was mismarked or they are doing some serious HP inflation. If you are going to use that full or near full 12" resaw the missing amps will be really missed. Other than that it looked like a great machine. The delta rep was there and he could not answer the question about the discrepency in the rating and the amps.

I have the Jet 18" and have been suffering buyers remorse ever since I saw the Grizzly 17" in person. I like the cast iron wheels on the Delta even better.

just my .02

Enjoy your new saw.