PDA

View Full Version : Griz G1023SL Left Tilt deal

Bob Rufener
03-15-2008, 6:29 PM
I am looking at updating my old contracor saw to a cabinet saw. The Grizzly G1023SL left tilt has gotten my attention due to a lot of positive comments made on this site. I have an opportunity to buy a "gently" used Griz G1023SL for $800. Seems pretty firm with the price.

A new saw from Griz would cost me close to $1100 with shipping. The guy selling it sent me a bunch of pics and it looks good except the top has some surface rust on it due to being kept in a garage. I presume the rust was caused by condensation. The saw would come with a Shop Fox fence and the Shop Fox mobile base. I would have to drive about 120 miles to get it. Is this a decent deal or do I look for something else or spring for a new one? Any help is appreciated.

Brian Kent
03-15-2008, 6:38 PM
That is what I have and if it has had a minimum of use, then that is a good price. With shipping a new one would be about $1,160 if you include the base.

Does it include a blade / blades that you would want to use?

Bob Rufener
03-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Not sure about blardes. Good point. It is something I will check out.

Gary Cude
03-15-2008, 11:45 PM
I picked up a used PM66 this week and it also had lots of surface rust.
Spent 4 hours last night getting the rust off, using tips from the forums here. :p

You can see the before and after pics. Used razor blade, WD-40, 'green scratchy', ROS with fine scratchy pad, and cleaned with brake cleaner.

You'll have to make the gut call on value of the used saw you are looking at. My decision was easier, since I already knew exactly the saw I wanted and I plan to take my time and put a little extra cash into restoring to like-new condition.

As a previous owner of another PM66, I valued this saw much higher than the selling price and feel, as others here, that the used market is a great place to find your dream machines and offer tremendous bang for the buck if you take your time, as you are doing by researching and asking questions .
Good luck.

James Suzda
03-16-2008, 8:23 AM
I am looking at updating my old contracor saw to a cabinet saw. The Grizzly G1023SL left tilt has gotten my attention due to a lot of positive comments made on this site. I have an opportunity to buy a "gently" used Griz G1023SL for $800. Seems pretty firm with the price.

Wow that is a pretty steep price for a used, no matter what condition, Grizzly 1023. Most used saws are going between $400 to $600. I paid $400 for my 1023 right tilt WITH a slider attachment.
I think I would keep looking, there are some deals out there to be had.

Jim Becker
03-16-2008, 10:11 AM
James, the used market is funny sometimes. I sold my Jet LT cabinet saw last year for nearly what I originally paid for it back in 2000. The 1023SL is a very good machine and in excellent condition could very well get $800 to the right buyer. That's still substantially below retail, not including the additional costs of shipping (and with Grizz for some of us) sales tax.

In this case, there may be room for a little negotiation due to the need to rehab the top due to rust, but the inclusion of the mobile base is also a plus.