PDA

View Full Version : Fire Protection

Matt Ocel
03-15-2008, 5:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, are there any rules of thumb for for how many fire extinguishers you should keep in the workshop. I have a 24 x 32 shop, store most of my wood in it, keep finishing supplies out side of it. I keep 1 - 8lb ABC fire extinguisher on hand.
I am open to all suggestions that will keep me free from flames!

mike holden
03-17-2008, 9:40 AM
I have a basement shop and keep two extingushers handy. One at the far end of the shop, one at the entrance. I figure the one at the end is so I can get out, the one at the entrance is to keep it down till the fire dept arrives.
The shop and home are replaceable, people aren't.
Just my choices, YMMV
Mike

Fred Haydon
03-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Matt,

I work as a part-time volunteer firefighter and unless yours is a commercial shop, there are no hard and fast rules regarding number and size of extinguishers. Mike makes a very good, common sense argument for placement.

I have a 24' x 28' shop and keep three 10# ABC extinguishers handy. 1 at the side passage door, 1 at the door to the house and electrical panel, and 1 next to the garage door. These will allow me to either, knock down a fire or get the heck outta dodge. I also have an 8# ABC near the wood burning stove in the house, it too is mounted on the wall next to an outside door.

I applaud you for thinking about this as I see many home shop/garages go up in flames that could have had minimal damage if an extinguisher had been around. But remember, I go into a fire with lots of water and support wearing protective gear that is rated to withstand up to 700 degrees F!!

If in the event you have a fire in the shop and you can't knock it down in 15 - 30 seconds with your extinguisher, get out and call 911. Structures can be rebuilt, most items can be repaired/replaced, but people are never the same after being burned!!

Fred

Lee Schierer
03-17-2008, 12:37 PM
I agree with Fred. In addition, you should go get some training on how to use the fire extinguisher. It isn't quite as simple as the diagrams on them suggest. You should still call 911 if you get any fire in your shop. Fireman don't get upset if you call them back and say you got it out. They can always slow down or turn around. A fire can double in size every minute of delay, so if it takes ten minutes for your fire company to arrive your fire can be pretty big before they arrive if your extinguisher doesn't get it out. You can discharge a 8# extinguisher in about 1 minute. Call them first or get someone else to call and then go back and put it out with your extinguishers.

Shawn Honeychurch
03-17-2008, 2:47 PM
Fire Extinguisher???

Crap, I knew there was something I have been forgetting, I don't have any in my shop, guess I'm going to Canadian Tire tonight.

Thanks for bringing this up Matt.

Peter Quadarella
03-17-2008, 2:52 PM
I have a pretty small one in my shop. I've used fire extinguishers before, but not this one, so I think I'll take it outside and shoot it tonight to make sure I can use it quick in an emergency.

glenn bradley
03-17-2008, 3:19 PM
I have a ten pound at each door and an 8 pound near an area where I keep a few quarts of finish. I would want more than one in any size shop . . . if I only have one, what happens if it is on the other side of what I am trying to put out and I can't get to it? The reason I keep them near the doors is that puts me right by the exit when I make that fight or flight decision.

John Holder
03-17-2008, 4:05 PM
You can never have too many. I would recommend an old fashoned 5gal water-can. They can be bought from a real fire extinguisher service contractor. The watercan goes a long way to put out a wood fire. The ABC is a good all around but the worry in the work shop is wood and lots of it.

Joe Jensen
03-17-2008, 4:48 PM
Fred, anything special to look for when buying? I only have one smallish ABC now

gary Zimmel
03-17-2008, 5:25 PM
In my shop I have two and also a watercan.

I hope I never have to use them........

The thing that I am always afraid of is oily rags from my finishing room.

Those go into the burn barrell ASAP .

Matt Ocel
03-17-2008, 9:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm going to add a couple more extinguishers.
"Fred" thanks for the 15 to 30 second time tip.

Chris Barnett
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Have a 4A 60BC extinguisher. Note: A great Christmas gift for family and friends but {hopefully} a really bad investment. Also have a water hose with nozzle hung on wall in shop. If I find I cannot keep the shop clean, I have thought about adding a wet sprinkler system with a few nozzles since water is available in the shop.

Regarding fire extinguisher....locate where you can get to them, close to an entry/exit door, and easily accessible...i.e. not behind stack of lumber or not behind bandsaw or not next to your favorite BLO used rag pile :eek:.

Greg Hines, MD
03-17-2008, 11:04 PM
In my shop I have two and also a watercan.

I hope I never have to use them........

The thing that I am always afraid of is oily rags from my finishing room.

Those go into the burn barrell ASAP .

I always let rags hang out and dry, then they can be thrown away or burned as need be, but they won't spontaneously com bust.

A couple of 10lb extinguishers keep my shop safe, as well as a phone in the garage, and a first aid kit.

Doc

Rod Sheridan
03-18-2008, 8:22 AM
I have a basement shop in a townhouse, with a 10 pound ABC extinguisher at the bottom of the stairs (my only way out of the basement).

Some of my friends tease me about being paranoid as I have an extinguisher in the kitchen ( I get a lot of teasing about my culinary abilities), one on the second floor, and one in the garage.

Every even numbered month, we shake the extinguishers to make sure the powder is OK, and check the pressure gauges.

Now I can't decide whether I'm paranoid or obsessive compulsive!

regards, Rod.

Dick Bringhurst
03-18-2008, 8:42 AM
I have never heard of any rules for "how many" I have a 10lb ABC at the doorway from the garage/shoop to the house and a 5lb at the sub panel. they are maintained annually. I also have a co2 unit more because I have it and don't want to throw it away. It also is inspected annually. It sits by the overhead garage door. Dick B.

Fred Haydon
03-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Joe, I sent you a PM.

Fred

John Holder
03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
I used to think that oily rags would not spontaneously combust but I learned a few years ago that is not the case. I am a fire fighter in TX and even heard the rag thing in academy but never gave it concern. I had power-washed all my shovel/axe handels and sanded them and applied linseed oil with a cotton terry cloth. I threw the rags in the trash and 30min later the trash can was on fire. I am much more carerful now about rags. Different oils will self-heat at different rates so take care when using new products.

mike holden
03-18-2008, 1:11 PM
While we are discussing this, a thought came to mind (I know, rare, but it happens - grin) Why dont wood stores offer the metal cans with the self-closing lids that I see in manufacturing plants? They are usually yellow with red lettering and require you to step on a lever to open them, and they are held closed by a spring. I review auto body parts and part of the process is to wipe the surface of a panel with a light oil and view the shape against a bank of lights. The pads are used once, then thrown in the container to be disposed of later. Seems like that might be a good option for a shop rag container till disposed of. Any thoughts? Firemen, please chime in if I am all wet here.
Also, shouldn't we get those yellow cabinets for storing our finishing supplies?
Boy, this may be a can of worms.
But Seriously, is this a good idea?
Mike

John Holder
03-18-2008, 1:50 PM
They requier flammables cabinets if we keep over a certain quantity of chems. Global industrial is a good source for new but if you on a budget like me a local industrial liquidator is a good source. Try looking for someone who sells used conveyor or warehouse fixtures.

Ron Bontz
03-19-2008, 5:11 AM
Does everyone have a smoke or heat detector close to or in their wood shop? A fire can become fully involved in just a few short minutes. We watch those wonderful training films at work that demonstrate this. I would definitely have something bigger than a 10lb. My concern is not something catching while I am in the shop. It is when I am not in the shop that concerns me. A water can is good if you catch a wood / paper fire quickly. Basement fires, however, (basements shops) are a whole other creature. A Heat detector in the shop if you can find one.
The fuel load, if you store wood or oily rags in your shop, and oxygen are there already. Just add an ignition source and heat... voila! Saw dust in the air will set off a smoke detector unless you cover it with a filter though and that can undermine the detector. We could go into the horrors of basement fires but it would suffice to say if you have a basement shop take the time to be extra careful. An ounce of prevention.......
In my younger days I was stripping a piece of furniture with a solvent based stripper. I had a kerosene heater close by to warm the basement up a little. I had no idea anything was wrong until I turned and saw a flame igniting the fumes a couple of feet above the heater. Needless to say I needed no more coffee after that and the heater never returned.