PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 725 or Grizzly 15" Planer (Model # G0551

jason lambert
03-15-2008, 4:21 PM
I ordered a Dewalt 735 plainer. I just found used a Grizzly 15" Planer (Model # G0551) this is not a current model. The price would be about the same maybe $75 more for the grizzley $575.00 but it is used. What is the better buy? Is the Grizzly priced fair? I am tempted to stay with the Dewalt since the reviews are good and the grizzley is no longer made, I couldn't find out much about it. But the grizzley looks like a hefteyer machine. Any input is appreated.

Her is a pic of the grizzley.
http://www.programmergeek.com/Pics/temp/plainer.jpg

Luther Oswalt
03-15-2008, 5:15 PM
I noticed the DW 735 in two Lowes in Gainesville, Fl. were marked as a sale for 17% off ... which makes it sell for something like $456.50 ... anyone seen this sort of sale? And I wonder what prompted this ...
Leo

jason lambert
03-15-2008, 5:21 PM
From a inside source DeWalt is playing around with pricing. They are change packages weekley so probably they just bought them cheaper.

Mark Engel
03-15-2008, 5:57 PM
It's hard to say without seeing the used piece of equipment. My first thought would be to go with the 15" Grizzly.

I have heard that the Dewalt is a very good machine, but, it really needs extra parts to be excellent, IE infeed and outfeed tables. They can be purchased, at additional expense, or you can figure out some way to provide the proper infeed/outfeed support in a DIY manner. Either way, you would probably have to invest money or time to get the Dewalt unit up to par.

I would think that the Grizzly 15" unit would already be set up with infeed/outfeed support. Also, I believe that the Dewalt has a universal motor while the Griz probaly has an induction type motor.

jason lambert
03-15-2008, 5:59 PM
The Dewalt I priced with the infeed and outfeed tables. so My price difference is $75 - $100 I will try to post a pic. Looks like the grizzly doesn't have infeed or outfeed tables I will have to inquire maybe the guy has them. Anyhow I an not really worried about the tables just want a good machine.

Mark Engel
03-15-2008, 6:05 PM
A quick Google search on that Grizzly model indicates that it has a 3 hp motor. Do you have a 220volt circuit available?

If the Grizzly is in good condition, there is no comparison between that unit and the Dewalt portable planer.

bob cohen
03-15-2008, 6:07 PM
The grizzly is probably a lifetime machine. Most people around here tend to want to upgrade their benchtop planers at some point. In addition to the large capacity, the Grizzly should run much more quietly, take larger cuts, when needed, and probably do a better job with dust collection. That said, it is much much heavier, will take up more room, requires a more powerful dust collection system (for those deep cuts anyway), and requires a dedicated 220 volt circuit. Knife changing is also likely to be more difficult with the grizzly, and the blades will cost more, too.

jason lambert
03-15-2008, 6:13 PM
Yes I have 220 but bob you are not making the grizzly sound any better than the dewalt. Space is also at a premium in my gurage shop. But I would hate to pass up a deal.

Mark Engel
03-15-2008, 6:22 PM
Here is a little more information on the Grizzly.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/upload/contents/335/80%20FEB05%20PW%20PLANERS.pdf

THe picture you posted shows that the G0551 is on a mobile base. Does that mobile base come with the planer?

jason lambert
03-15-2008, 6:37 PM
Probably but that is indifferent to me I just need to know the better planner. I am totally unfimilar with grizzley. Does it use standard blades etc? will parts be a issue? Fromthe review it doesn's seem to be that great of a machine. Anyhow I am a hobbiest so I am not looking for deep cuts and to run 100 of feet of board a day.

Mark Engel
03-15-2008, 7:03 PM
I have a Grizzly 1023z saw and it is (IMHO) an extremely good saw. If you do a search on this site for all things Grizzly, I think you will find that with very few exceptions, users rate Grizzly products very high.

Also consider the fact that the founder/owner/president of Grizzly, Shiraz Balolia, is a member on this site and regularly contributes to discussions. If you have any questions about any Grizzly products, you can get answers directly from "the horses mouth".

Personally, I would not have any problem purchasing Grizzly equipment. I have found their products to be of very good quality. I have several Grizzly products on my wish list for future upgrades.

As one caveat, any used equipment must be inspected to insure that it has not been abused. There is no way of knowing, short of in person inspection, whether or not a piece of equipment has been properly maintained. If that G0551 seemed to be in good condition, based on my inspection, I would buy it in an instant and never think twice about the Dewalt that I could have had.

bob cohen
03-15-2008, 7:08 PM
the dewalt has been a top-rated benchtop for a long time. It is a good machine. Many people here will tell you that it will produce a smoother surface than the grizzly and most other 15 inch planers, too. I think why people long to upgrade is simply that the 15 inch planers are sturdier and bulit to last. I have a benchtop delta, and have been pleased with it. It leaves a smooth surfcae and blade changes are a snap. But the knobs and other parts are really showing their age (~6 years). I believe it is just a matter of time before the motor goes. When that happens, I'll get a 15 incher that I hope will last the rest of my woodworking days--many more than 6 years!

Bruce Wrenn
03-15-2008, 9:38 PM
The grizzly is probably a lifetime machine. Most people around here tend to want to upgrade their benchtop planers at some point. In addition to the large capacity, the Grizzly should run much more quietly, take larger cuts, when needed, and probably do a better job with dust collection. That said, it is much much heavier, will take up more room, requires a more powerful dust collection system (for those deep cuts anyway), and requires a dedicated 220 volt circuit. Knife changing is also likely to be more difficult with the grizzly, and the blades will cost more, too.A set of knives from Global Tooling to fit the Grizzly are about $40. I think the ones for the DeWalt are a litte bit more. The ones for the Grizzly can be sharpened several times. Also, the Grizzly can be fitted with a Byrd head.

Tim Marks
03-15-2008, 9:48 PM
I have a DW735. It is a great planer.

If I was to to do all over again, I would have bought the Grizzly 15". Not a whole lot more money, and you get a whole lot more machine. Quiet induction motor instead of screaming universal, solid cast iron instead of solid plastic.

Put a byrd head on that Grizzly and....

jason lambert
03-16-2008, 5:56 PM
Thanks for all the input I think after reading the reviews on this specific plainer and the overhead motor and problmes, also the cut not being as nice as the dewalt I think the dewalt is a better machine for me. Beside this is a 2 hour drive from my house so it is not worth it the price would have to be much better. He is asking 600 new it was 750 and this was in a cabnit shop and probably saw some use.