PDA

View Full Version : Tote and knobs for Stanley Planes

Fred Strumpf
03-15-2008, 3:21 PM
I'm looking for original, or close, replacement parts for some Stanleys I've recently purchased. Sizes are 2, 3 and 4. Is there a source for totes and knobs that would be considered close to originals?

I thank you in advance for your responce.

Regards

Fred

Russ Hauser
03-15-2008, 5:07 PM
I'm looking for original, or close, replacement parts for some Stanleys I've recently purchased. Sizes are 2, 3 and 4. Is there a source for totes and knobs that would be considered close to originals?

I thank you in advance for your responce.

Regards

Fred

Have you tried eBay? There always seems to be Stanley parts of all kinds up for auction.

Russ

David Tiell
03-15-2008, 7:09 PM
Highland Hardware sells very nice rosewood knobs and totes for at least the 3 and 4. Not sure about the 2. But a little while back, Clint Jones did a great article on making your own. You may want to check it out and give it a try.

dan grant
03-15-2008, 8:49 PM
if you are new to hand planes you might be better off to sell that #2 and use the coin to buy a LN those #2's go for big bucks at auction

Fred Strumpf
03-16-2008, 9:04 AM
Dan

I hadn't considered selling it. I got $35 into it.

What is big bucks?

ThANKS

Fred

Terry Bigelow
03-16-2008, 9:10 AM
I got $35 into it.

What is big bucks?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jake Helmboldt
03-16-2008, 10:23 AM
I'll triple your money; just send it to me.:)

Fred Strumpf
03-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Jake,

You guys wouldn't be trying to sucker me now?

Guess I did well with the purhase.

I am very pleased with all the planes I have purchased and restored to user status. I'll do the same with this #2.

Thanks for the offers though.

Regards

Fred

steve swantee
03-16-2008, 4:10 PM
Look here Fred, drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com . Greg does great work. He'll have what you're looking for.

Steve

Jim Koepke
03-16-2008, 7:01 PM
Look here Fred, drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com . Greg does great work. He'll have what you're looking for.

Steve

Just took a look and those look nice.

The ones on the auction site that shall not be named cost more than what was paid for the plane.

A #2 for $35 bucks is what puts smiles on our faces while we are dreaming. It is like super gloat material.

I still smile about the good deal I got every time I pick up the planes from a recent vacation.

It doesn't hold a candle to your deal. That is a life time of smiles.

jim

Stu Gillard
03-16-2008, 7:18 PM
There's a mix of new and original totes and knobs here...

http://www.toolexchange.com.au/OtherPlanes&Parts.htm

You may find what you're looking for...I'm pretty sure Stuart will ship to the US.

Looks like you'll spend more on the wood than you spent on the plane ;)

Jeff Craven
03-16-2008, 8:17 PM
You can buy replacement parts right from stanley:
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/knob.html

Jake Helmboldt
03-16-2008, 8:26 PM
Jake,

You guys wouldn't be trying to sucker me now?

Guess I did well with the purhase.

I am very pleased with all the planes I have purchased and restored to user status. I'll do the same with this #2.

Thanks for the offers though.

Regards

Fred

Fred, we're a good lot round here, we wouldn't do that!;)

Before you lavish too much restoration effort on that I'd ask around for advice from some collectors on how to proceed. Other than knowing a #2 can fetch a lot of money depending upon condition, type (i.e. what period it was made), etc I don't know much about the value. But a look at what they go for on ebay will give you an idea (well over your $35 investment). Like any antique or collectible there is a degree of desireability in the patina depending on the actual condition. Nice score!

Fred Strumpf
03-17-2008, 5:23 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Just met a guy, member of a tool collectors group here in CT. He's going to give me advise on this plane restoration.

Your advice is well taken. My original restoration plan would have resulted in a shiny new looking plane, sans any patina. I guess I should keep my kids in mind. they may want to sell these tools when they inherit them, especially after they see there are no power cords attached.
:)

Kidding aside, I find this forum very freindly and full of a lot of technical competance. Look forward to sharing my exploits going forward. Got some spinning wheel restoration planned but need to build a treadle lathe first. Am I sliding yet?

Regards

Fred