PDA

View Full Version : Is too much TOO MUCH?! QSWO Question...

Keith Starosta
03-15-2008, 8:24 AM
I'm getting real close to buying the lumber I'm going to need for a blanket chest, made out of quarter-sawn white oak. This will be my first experience buying this material. I know that the over-whelming response to this question will probably be, "...it depends.", but I was wondering if anybody uses a hard and fast rule when selecting heavily "rayed" QSWO for specific parts of a project? By this, I mean...I know that I'd like to have the chest top heavily rayed, and probably the raised panels. But, how about the rails/stiles/etc.? Does anybody have an opinion on this?

Thanks!!

- Keith

Peter Stahl
03-15-2008, 8:41 AM
I think it all depends on what you like. My sister in law bought oak cabinets and took back the doors that had any rays in them. Myself, I like the rays but don't know if I'd want a whole cabinet with them.

Mitchell Andrus
03-15-2008, 8:55 AM
QSWO is the wood of choice in my shop - 1,400 bf /yr or more.

Yep, it depends... Some people like a calmer look, some like it franticly figured. Whichever you choose, make it more or less consistant through the piece.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-15-2008, 9:27 AM
"it depends" :D:D By "it depends" I mean two different things.

1) What does the customer like? Some like lots of figure and some not.

2) The project. For something like a blanket chest where all you see is the wood I'd say pile it on. For something like a display cabinet where the wood is meant to be secondary I'd prefer flat or rift sawn. The case is not meant to be the primary point of interest but to compliment the contents.

Roger Lance
03-15-2008, 9:30 AM
If you are going to use frame and panel construction for the body of the chest, I'd advise that you use rift saw boards for the frames...the straight grain pattern of these boards will help calm down what can be an over done appearance of grain going in all directions...remember, no oil based finishes on the inside of the chest...good luck.

Keith Starosta
03-15-2008, 9:39 AM
If you are going to use frame and panel construction for the body of the chest, I'd advise that you use rift saw boards for the frames...the straight grain pattern of these boards will help calm down what can be an over done appearance of grain going in all directions...remember, no oil based finishes on the inside of the chest...good luck.

Thanks for the comments, guys! Roger, that's a really good point about the frames. Question, though....why no oil-based stains on the inside?

Thanks, again!

- Keith

Roger Lance
03-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Keith...on an enclosed space that will hold/store cloth, never use oil based finishes as these finishes are continuing to "gas" off and produce a very offensive odor that will get into the cloth and make your lady love not love you so much...you can use aromatic cedar to line the chest and the cedar is unfinished...or use no finish at all on the inside of the chest...or use shellac that is alcohol based on interior parts that you want finished.

scott spencer
03-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Keith - I made one last summer using all QSWO. Looks are always subjective, and Roger makes a good point about the structural advantages of rift sawn frames. We've had no strength issues with the QS for frames.

Here's a link to some pics (http://woodwerks.com/home.php?pid=20071205074615432) if you want a glimpse. Good luck and please post your results.

Michael Weber
03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
I agree with Roger. Someone a couple of years ago on one of the Forums posted pictures comparing all the possible combinations of panel construction using flat, rift and quarter sawn white oak. Tried to find the link for you but no luck, sorry. IMO the qs panel with rift cut rails and stiles was easiest on the eyes.

Jerry White
03-15-2008, 11:50 AM
I think this may be the post that Micheal refers to. While it is not a blanket chest application, it is an excellent illustration of how the different cuts of white oak might appear in a frame and panel construction.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60075

Scott, I looked at your link.....a really nice chest. Good work!

Jim Becker
03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Keith, it's largely a matter of personal preference. I've been tending to using rift/very straight grained material for rails and stiles so that they let figured stock in panels and drawer fronts be highlighted. (I work mostly in cherry) But I've seen a lot of mission style work that used the QS WO figure everywhere and it looked quite nice, too. And plain sawn WO isn't the prettiest stuff to my eyes. So if it were me, I'd probably do either all QS WO or use rift sawn for the rails/stiles and the heavily rayed QS material for panels and the top as you describe. Again...personal preference.

Michael Weber
03-15-2008, 4:21 PM
I think this may be the post that Micheal refers to. While it is not a blanket chest application, it is an excellent illustration of how the different cuts of white oak might appear in a frame and panel construction.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60075

Thanks Jerry, that was it.

Keith Starosta
03-15-2008, 6:03 PM
Excellent advice, everyone!! I'm going to take a look at the two links provided, and go from there. I appreciate it!!

* Edit *
I just read through Ton Sontag's thread. Excellent information! I do believe my mind has been made up, and I'll go with RS frames and QS panels and top.

- Keith