PDA

View Full Version : Use a polypropylene cutting board to make a ZCI?

dennis thompson
03-15-2008, 6:17 AM
Has anyone ever used a polypropylene cutting board to make a zero clearance insert?
Thanks
Dennis

Jay Yoder
03-15-2008, 6:40 AM
I have heard of people doing this. I they said that they got 2-3 inserts out of (1) $10 cutting board. i would think you have to make sure they either match your required depth exactly or that you could drill and thread them for leveling set screws...

tim mathis
03-15-2008, 7:51 AM
i make mine out of plastic drops that i get at our local metal supply store( alro steel in dayton , ohio). most times they have 5 to 6 inch wide x 4 to 6 foot long 1/2 inch phenolic drops for about $20.00 you can get a bunch of inserts and this stuff is great for jigs.
you may want to check your local metal supply store.

Joe Spear
03-15-2008, 8:33 AM
I've made some miter slot runners from polypropylene cutting boards. They work all right for that, but keep in mind that they expand when you turn a screw into them. You could try it for a ZCI. For sizing, they cut well on a table saw or bandsaw. Running them over your jointer or through your planer also works with no problems. Hand planes also work to fine-tune the size. The stuff is very soft, but maybe you could make one and try it for a while to see if making more is a good idea. I got several boards for a dollar each at one of the dollar stores, so the price is right--if they work.

Wade Lippman
03-15-2008, 1:12 PM
i make mine out of plastic drops that i get at our local metal supply store( alro steel in dayton , ohio). most times they have 5 to 6 inch wide x 4 to 6 foot long 1/2 inch phenolic drops for about $20.00 you can get a bunch of inserts and this stuff is great for jigs.
you may want to check your local metal supply store.

That sounds like a bargain, but what would I ask for? Plastic drops?

tim mathis
03-15-2008, 5:39 PM
yes,
see if a metal supply store near you has plastic drops available . plastic drops are handled just like steel drops. someone goes in and asks for a certain size cut and the place charges them for the whole sheet ( but they just get the certain size). so what is left is cut up or sold whole at a very reduced price.
if you go to purchase steel or plastics always ask to see the drops first.
hope this helps ( welder by day , woodworker by night.)